New laptop for school

Guys....I NEED A NEW LAPTOP.

This one is just for school work and stuff. Although I am eyeing the Surface book 2 ill have to wait till I have $2000. 

So right now I need a decent laptop around $500. Any laptop I buy will be reformatted with Linux if it does not have windows preinstall.

I am up for suggestions but I was look at this:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Laptops/ASUS-Chromebook-Flip-C302CA/

I want around the same quality.

And yes if it is windows I would like at least 8gb of ram and 256gb of storage.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Unless Chromebooks have changed, Chromebooks only come with limited memory and cannot install windows applications. They are moreso like a tablet in terms of usage. In this case 32GB or 64GB. But it does come with a Micro SD slot. However, I don't know if windows can be installed on a Micro SD.

I would suggest a used i7 Surface Pro 3 if you're into that tablet like. They can be found used for around your asking price and they are very good.

Hi there Deez! :) 

According to your description of "only working stuff" I'm gonna be pretty straight forward.

Choose the cheapest option focusing mainly on the weight of the laptop, cause is the only concern you're gonna be having with it.

I will extend myself until death here, cause this is a very big topic. But if you're just gonna be working on .txt and websearching, forget about all the gimmicks in middle range option you're gonna be seeing out there. Aim for a 300$ laptop. And then with the money saved build a proper Rig in home :)

7 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

NVM, you're in Canada.

I meant usd

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

6 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i would buy something like a used HP probook. those are very solid. 

or Lenovo ThinkPad. 

Well I want something with a good keyboard and mouse pad

Build

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Karl Sven said:

Hi there Deez! :) 

According to your description of "only working stuff" I'm gonna be pretty straight forward.

Choose the cheapest option focusing mainly on the weight of the laptop, cause is the only concern you're gonna be having with it.

I will extend myself until death here, cause this is a very big topic. But if you're just gonna be working on .txt and websearching, forget about all the gimmicks in middle range option you're gonna be seeing out there. Aim for a 300$ laptop. And then with the money saved build a proper Rig in home :)

Nah, i need decent battery, keyboard and mouse and a 1080p screen

Build

Spoiler

8 hours ago, phongle123 said:

Unless Chromebooks have changed, Chromebooks only come with limited memory and cannot install windows applications. They are moreso like a tablet in terms of usage. In this case 32GB or 64GB. But it does come with a Micro SD slot. However, I don't know if windows can be installed on a Micro SD.

I would suggest a used i7 Surface Pro 3 if you're into that tablet like. They can be found used for around your asking price and they are very good.

ill look into that

Build

Spoiler

2 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

Well I want something with a good keyboard and mouse pad

ThinkPad keyboards are the best one's in the Windows laptop world. 

She/Her

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

ThinkPad keyboards are the best one's in the Windows laptop world. 

ok

Build

Spoiler

Build

Spoiler

Build

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

ok

i had to add "in my opinion" on that one. you might not like it. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i had to add "in my opinion" on that one. you might not like it. 

Too expensive

Build

Spoiler

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Don't think so for 500, but for the size...eh are you trying to 13 inch and around 3 pounds?

13inch and yeah 1-1.5 kgs. I think that is 3 pounds. And like battery life for around 8 hours.

Build

Spoiler

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

ok..added to list

Build

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

that is used and no better than the laptop I have right now. It is just that its hinge anit broken.

Build

Spoiler

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

That was a problem on some older ones.  But, I'd suggest looking around more at i3s/i5s with an ssd and being light.  Getting one that isn't a chromebook and under 500 that isn't used is kinda hard.

well i google and yes I can install linux on chromebooks

Build

Spoiler

13 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

well i google and yes I can install linux on chromebooks

You don't need to install linux on a chromebook, it's already linux. The hard part is, depending on what you get, breaking out of that into full linux (beyond the terminal which doesn't have gcc or make or apt or anything).

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

On 10/25/2017 at 2:42 AM, DeezNoNos said:

Guys....I NEED A NEW LAPTOP.

This one is just for school work and stuff. Although I am eyeing the Surface book 2 ill have to wait till I have $2000. 

So right now I need a decent laptop around $500. Any laptop I buy will be reformatted with Linux if it does not have windows preinstall.

I am up for suggestions but I was look at this:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Laptops/ASUS-Chromebook-Flip-C302CA/

I want around the same quality.

And yes if it is windows I would like at least 8gb of ram and 256gb of storage.

I would take the gamble and go used on ebay.  I just couldn't see myself buying a new $500 system.  

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

@DeezNoNos did you ever come to a conclusion?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

9 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

@DeezNoNos did you ever come to a conclusion?

No

Build

Spoiler

13 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

No

I recommend two things. Either get a refurbished dell workstation laptop off newegg or somewhere, or get an x86 chromebook that you could get linux on.Chromebooks already run linux but they can be hard to fully utilize and as far as I'm aware, it's easier to just install from scratch. The gotcha is that most chromebooks are arm.

Spoiler