Advice on upgrading cpu at current date

Hi guys, I've been building machines near my whole life and it's fair to say I'm a veteran in the field of custom building, however.

Do I want to know based on current prices, what Intel CPU is it worth upgrading to at this moment in time?

i3 8350K or i5 7600K?

(can be second hand)

Truth is, I have a missus and 2 children to provide for, so money is very tight.

Here's a list of things I want this CPU perfect for.

1080p gaming ultra (don't worry about my GPU that's fine lol but this does include high CPU intensive games like civilization and open world. Needs to be perfect)

light video editing ( render times need to be decent but not insanely fast, 1080p 60fps videos about 10 mins max).

multitasking ( for multi programs open or unzipping while doing other tasks.)

Currently, i'm stuck with a 6300 fx, long story for another day but let's say I blew my 4770k.

(Water bottle vs spider x pc = CPU/motherboard dead) haha.

Anyway please give me advice on a CPU that would be cheapest and perfect for what I need. Remember I don't mind pre-owned.

Thank you.

I'd personally go i5 7600k cause you can find them a bit cheaper used now thanks to coffee lake. As well as Z270 boards for about $80 so you can OC it. Or run it on a $50 b250 if you don't want to overclock. 

For coffee lake only Z370 boards are around for now, and possibly until next year, cheapest one is around $110. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Thank you for your reply mate, I never thought of the price including the motherboard, yeah totally understand, so I may go for the 7600k. I'm also from England, does this include the prices here? I noticed the prices over in the US seem to be better in most cases.

thanks, brother.

7 minutes ago, Fardin said:

it seems you are not into high refresh gaming, considering other tasks that you specified, you might be better with a ryzen 5 1600 + b350 board combo. 

Normally I'm one of the first people to suggest ryzen but it didn't even cross my mind this time for some reason. 

A 1600 + b350 board would be miles better overall than the 8350k or 7600k

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Yeah, like @Fardin said, the 1600 might be good considering you want to multitask with it. Extra cores will help with that, and you'll also get a more stable framerate. B350s are also cheap and you can OC on them, which is a bonus. You also save money on not needing an aftermarket cooler.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

oo you mean in terms of multithreading the 1600 would be a much better choice for my compression ect.

In terms of cost per performance ( including mobo ) the i5 should be cheaper. However, the i3 supports z370, meaning that you can upgrade later on in the future. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The r5 1600 is better in the long run because if you get the i5 you won't be able to upgrade in the future. Plus it's better for multi tasking

1 hour ago, 3nergytutorials said:

Thank you for your reply mate, I never thought of the price including the motherboard, yeah totally understand, so I may go for the 7600k. I'm also from England, does this include the prices here? I noticed the prices over in the US seem to be better in most cases.

thanks, brother.

Take a look at the data in https://www.techspot.com/review/1499-intel-core-i3-8100-i3-8350K/page2.html. R5 1600 is arguably a better choice. It's ~£20 less expensive than the i5-7600K. Use uk.pcpartpicker.com to check prices and assemble a build list.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

thank you, yeah I see the 1600 much better in real-world applications but in terms of gaming it doesn't perform better than the 8350k right?

21 minutes ago, 3nergytutorials said:

thank you, yeah I see the 1600 much better in real-world applications but in terms of gaming it doesn't perform better than the 8350k right?

sorry i am late. try to quote so that we get notification of your reply. I wouldn't say 1600 performs worse than 8350k in gaming, rather it might be few frames behind in average in some case that's all. but it will comfortably provide you more than what you require (1080p 60fps) without taking any stress with much better value. Specially your gaming wont be affected even if you do other tasks in background while playing. Editing/multitasking will be more pleasant than 8350k as well as cost. considering, you are on tight budget, ryzen 1600 suits you perfectly & best buy for your money. 

thank you fardin, i will definitely settle for that. 1 last thing, I don't have any experience with the new r5 motherboards, is it worth getting a b350 micro atx or the atx form. only reason i ask is due to not wanting to go for a muti GPU in the future however the older micro atx boards such as the am3+ were very bad and the vrm got very hot. does the new gen micro atx fix this or is it still better to go for an atx board.  Aesthetics not all important, I don't really care for the RGB on board for this build.

56 minutes ago, 3nergytutorials said:

thank you fardin, i will definitely settle for that. 1 last thing, I don't have any experience with the new r5 motherboards, is it worth getting a b350 micro atx or the atx form. only reason i ask is due to not wanting to go for a muti GPU in the future however the older micro atx boards such as the am3+ were very bad and the vrm got very hot. does the new gen micro atx fix this or is it still better to go for an atx board.  Aesthetics not all important, I don't really care for the RGB on board for this build.

Yes am4 boards have more or less vrm issue as well. Get atx board & they are generally better specially Asus if its in budget, asrock is respectful choice as well. for am4, Asus & Asrock boards seem to working well & have adequate vrm. I would suggest these two specially 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fPDzK8/asus-prime-b350-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-b350-plus  &

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZHyxFT/asus-strix-b350-f-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-strix-b350-f-gaming

if you cant afford above two then consider Asrock B350 pro4 . but onething that i've learned about asrock board that they lack Load Line calibration (LLC) & SOC voltage which are essential features for stable overclocking. But yet alot have good experience. I hope you will make the right choice.

Ps. if you dont know, ryzen don't have igpu, so a dedicated gpu is must to use the pc or wont be any display output. but I'm sure you have gpu already.        

thank you mate, yeah I was looking at the ASRock Pro 4 and wasn't sure if the Asus Strix was a better option.

thank mans, I checked the ram and yeah would have been nice but the prices have gone back up.

17 hours ago, 3nergytutorials said:

There's kind of a pay off when you choose ryzen over coffee lake equivalents right now. Yes, you get lower maximum frames, but it's a lot more stable. Think about it this way. Would you rather play a game in 70 fps sometimes but have it go down to 40 often, or play it in 60 fps and never have it go below 50/55? So yeah, right now ryzen is really good value for gaming, and since a lot of games are starting to take advantage of multicore CPUs, the time is now really.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics