Is port scanning really illegal

Is port scanning truly illegal, I have seen many articles on this topic but can't seem to get a straight answer. 

For this example, lets say that you don't have written permission, it is not a pentest, and the device you are scanning is not your property. Let's also say that you are in the United States.

I do believe it's legal. You are basically querying the public facing parts of networks, so it should be fair game.

My native language is C++

7 minutes ago, cj7s1 said:

Is port scanning truly illegal, I have seen many articles on this topic but can't seem to get a straight answer. 

For this example, lets say that you don't have written permission, it is not a pentest, and the device you are scanning is not your property. Let's also say that you are in the United States.

I remember looking this up while taking a network security class. Seems like it's in a grey area. Any competent sys admin will probably notice you running a port scan on their networks and could possibly report you. I don't know if any of it would hold up but it sounded like something I wouldn't want to find out. 

It's also common courtesy not to run anything that could be related to hacking on someones network without permission. 

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

14 minutes ago, cj7s1 said:

It depends on how you use it, dubious reasons = illegal, just faffing about = raised eyebrows but not illegal.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.