What's up with the Youtube ads?

JoostinOnline

I've noticed that new videos now have ads at the start.  Was that a mistake?  I don't remember that happening in past videos, and I thought I remembered Linus stating they wouldn't use Youtube's monetization system on new videos.  It's not a huge deal, and I know you guys are a business, but having ads AND the Navi-esque subscribe reminder before a video, then following it with another ad, seems a little tacky.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I think that would depend on what videos you're watching, I haven't seen the subscribe reminder anywhere other than Techquickie.

Also do you have an ad blocker enabled?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think that would depend on what videos you're watching, I haven't seen the subscribe reminder anywhere other than Techquickie.

Also do you have an ad blocker enabled?

This was the last video I watched, and it had an ad:

I have Youtube white-listed because it causes issues if I don't.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yeah, Techquickie has the subscribe reminder at the beginning.

What adblock are you using? I've never had issues with it

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just get adblock for everything. I run OG youtube (android) to tidy most of this stuff up, and add a bunch of filters in adblock and ghostery (chrome) to remove recommended sections etc. I stopped watching their videos for these reasons among others.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Also, the in-video ads have been moved so you see them before the intro sequence...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

3 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Also, the in-video ads have been moved so you see them before the intro sequence...

Are they still 10seconds? I used to watch the intro on the ltt then do a precisely timed double tap (android) to perfectly skip the ad.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

@unknownmiscreant Just so we're on the same page: I mean ads like "Tunnelbear is the easy-to-use vpn-service..." ; I think those have been moved about a week ago.

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

Just now, Jonas_2909 said:

@unknownmiscreant Just so we're on the same page: I mean ads like "Tunnelbear is the easy-to-use vpn-service..." ; I think those have been moved about a week ago.

Oh what, the huge ad at the end is now at the start??

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

@unknownmiscreant No it isn't. In most of the past videos, there was a 10-ish-second ad right after the intro and a larger right after conclusion. The first one(fomerly after the intro) has been moved and therefor appearing before the intro. At least I think so.

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

Just now, Jonas_2909 said:

@unknownmiscreant No it isn't. In most of the past videos, there was a 10-ish-second ad right after the intro and a larger right after conclusion. The first one(fomerly after the intro) has been moved and therefor appearing before the intro. At least I think so.

Yeah, looks like we are on the same page, thats what I thought had happened. Its probably still 10 seconds though, so a double tap on the arrow keys (pc) or double screen tap (android) will skip it. I just watched the server CPU one and the 'come subscribe to our ***** channel and irritate yourself with a notification' thing also looked like it was 10 seconds.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

15 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Just get adblock for everything. I run OG youtube (android) to tidy most of this stuff up, and add a bunch of filters in adblock and ghostery (chrome) to remove recommended sections etc. I stopped watching their videos for these reasons among others.

Adblock Plus (I was on my phone though, so no blocker), but that's not the point.  They've gone from one ad at the end to multiple ads per video, plus the annoying unnecessary reminder at the start of every Techquickie video.

23 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yeah, TG had the outro moved to the beginning.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Adblock Plus (I was on my phone though, so no blocker), but that's not the point.  They've gone from one ad at the end to multiple ads per video, plus the annoying unnecessary reminder at the start of every Techquickie video.

UBLOCK ORIGIN MASTER RACE

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

The xposed module youtube adaway (root) works quite well. As does OG youtube (no root needed) for the youtube monetisation scheme. There really isn't a solution to the video ads and intro other than to skip in with double tap/arrow keys. Its a pain in the backside yes. The other option is to not watch techquickie, most of the content is fairly predictable, and easy to research elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, JDE said:

UBLOCK ORIGIN MASTER RACE

So what?? People make obnoxious ads, I block them. They make things telling me to white list their site, I add that to the ad blocker as well.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

21 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

The xposed module youtube adaway (root) works quite well. As does OG youtube (no root needed) for the youtube monetisation scheme. There really isn't a solution to the video ads and intro other than to skip in with double tap/arrow keys. Its a pain in the backside yes. The other option is to not watch techquickie, most of the content is fairly predictable, and easy to research elsewhere.

So what?? People make obnoxious ads, I block them. They make things telling me to white list their site, I add that to the ad blocker as well.

I was never asking how to block ads.  I'm commenting on the recent trend of ads in videos.

i can understand why they put their own pre-roll ads into their videos. i can almost guarantee that when the ads were at the end, people would just close the tab or move onto the next video just as it started playing because they already got the content they came to watch, therefore the advertiser/sponsor doesn't really get their monies worth.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

22 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

i can understand why they put their own pre-roll ads into their videos. i can almost guarantee that when the ads were at the end, people would just close the tab or move onto the next video just as it started playing because they already got the content they came to watch, therefore the advertiser/sponsor doesn't really get their monies worth.

They've been doing it for years, obviously they're making money from it.

It's Linus's company, he can do what he wants.  I'm just surprised with the way things have been going.  They started mixing ads in the middle of videos, they starting putting Youtube ads at the start of videos (monetization ones, not part of the video itself), and they added an incredibly annoying subscribe reminder at the start.

These things won't stop me from watching.  I really like Linus's videos, and a lot of the time I learn something new.  It just seems like this is a downward trend, and I thought that they accidentally enabled ads. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They've been doing it for years, obviously they're making money from it.

It's Linus's company, he can do what he wants.  I'm just surprised with the way things have been going.  They've used some super click-baity titles in the past year, they started mixing ads in the middle of videos, they starting putting Youtube ads at the start of videos (monetization ones, not part of the video itself), and they added an incredibly annoying subscribe reminder at the start.

These things won't stop me from watching.  I really like Linus's videos, and a lot of the time I learn something new.  It just seems like this is a downward trend, and I thought that they accidentally enabled ads. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

here re-begins the click-bate conversation, although I have said they have lost me, with the quality going down hill.

No idea what any of you are talking about. We've done sponsor call-outs in the first minute or two of the video for nearly 5 years, and the integrations at the end came much later.

Almost all of our videos have had both for the last 3+ years :P

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

@TheGleaner That wasn't my intention.  I edited my comment, and I'd appreciate it if you did the same.

edit a opinion on a comment...meh

Edit: how does linus always find these?

im okay with the sponsor call-outs.

whats been pissing me off (and this has been all of youtube, not just ltt) has been the all of a sudden, 4+ fucking youtube ads per video.

before the video, theres an ad

2 minutes into the video, theres another ad

3/4 of the way in, theres another ad

video just ended, heres an ad.

its even worse on the longer videos i watch(15+ minutes)

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

No idea what any of you are talking about. We've done sponsor call-outs in the first minute or two of the video for nearly 5 years, and the integrations at the end came much later.

Almost all of our videos have had both for the last 3+ years :P

I'm getting Youtube video ads (they've all been skippable though) at the start of your new videos. Are you saying they aren't intentional?

YouTube senses a competitor on the horizon ... FloatPlane

/s

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

With the amount of Youtube I watch, I figured it was easier to sign up for Red, the only platform I have trouble with ads now are the videos I play on the XBox (but I don't use that very often). iOS, Android, Windows, Mac and Penguin based platforms are all fine.

I'm not entirely sure how RED impacts on the creator's revenue vs actually watching the ads.

Although the baked in ads can get quite repetitive, I can appreciate that it takes an unreal amount of time and resources to get the production through as the LTT team do. If I have to work an extra 3 minutes a day to cover the cost of both a Red subscription and a Floatplane membership, so be it. To me, at this very point in time, I can justify it.

Aurora | Built April '22
CPU: Intel i7 11700K | RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 | GPU: NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB), Corsair MP400 (1TB) | PSU: Corsair RM1000

Moonlight | Built March '17
CPU: Intel i7 6900K | RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 | GPU: NVidia GTX 750Ti Storage: Intel 600P (512GB), WD Red (4TB) | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Cooling: Corsair H105 | Setup post >here<|