Which hard drive should I get for my Pc/NAS

I was just wondering what Hard drives to get for my computer that i will also use as a nas by share the RAID volume via Windows File Sharing. I am looking for speed, reliability and stability. The Hard drives options are HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 6TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s High-Performance Hard Drive or WD Black 6TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch or any other suggestions you guys have. I mainly use this computer for video editing and a bit of gaming and other light task.

Hard drive links:

HGST: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822146118&cm_re=HGST_DeskStar_NAS_6TB_HDD-_-22-146-118-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=11552995&PID=8129406&SID=

WD Black:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Performance-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B01MQWHTBE?th=1

My Pc specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i7 6850K @ 4.07GHz   
    Broadwell-E/EP 14nm Technology
RAM
    64.0GB Corsair 2447.68MHz DDR4
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. RAMPAGE V EXTREME (SOCKET 2011)   
Graphics
    ROG PG348Q (3440x1440@100Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (MSI)    
Storage
    3726GB Seagate ST4000DX001-1CE168 (SATA)    
    372GB INTEL SSDPEDMW400G4 (Unknown)

Hahaha, $98.99 for installation of a hard drive on Amazon. If only people would pay me that to install drives for them. 

The main edge the Black has over the DeskStar is the 5 year warranty vs 3 years. In terms of performance, you can expect similar results from both. Either is good, but it's really up to you whether the extra cost of the Black is worth the extra 2 years of warranty. 

HGST. Blacks aren't worth the money. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The main edge the Black has over the DeskStar is the 5 year warranty vs 3 years.

An extra 2 years isn't worth $60~ imo, realistically the drive will more than likely die early or well after either warranty period. Just my personal opinion on the matter. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Where you're going for NAS usage and RAID, regardless of which brand you buy, it is a good idea to stick with drives engineered for NAS use. Seagate's current branding is IronWolf & IronWolf Pro.

Here is a video that explains the importance of choosing the right drive for the right purpose if you'd like to check it out.

Good luck with your project, regardless of which brand you choose in the end!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

5 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Where you're going for NAS usage and RAID, regardless of which brand you buy, it is a good idea to stick with drives engineered for NAS use. Seagate's current branding is IronWolf & IronWolf Pro.

Here is a video that explains the importance of choosing the right drive for the right purpose if you'd like to check it out.

Good luck with your project, regardless of which brand you choose in the end!

Sorry I can't really trust seagate, I bought one of your 4tb hard drive for my desktop not even a year ago and it is already starting to making some weird noises when data is being read. Hence why i'm looking to get new drives.

3 hours ago, natsuu said:

Sorry I can't really trust seagate, I bought one of your 4tb hard drive for my desktop not even a year ago and it is already starting to making some weird noises when data is being read. Hence why i'm looking to get new drives.

Bad samples happen no matter what company. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Bad samples happen no matter what company. 

Image result for hard drive failure rate by company

This is a 2016 graph of hard drive failure rate seagates seems to be the highest. (the graph is by backblaze)

14 minutes ago, natsuu said:

Image result for hard drive failure rate by company

This is a 2016 graph of hard drive failure rate seagates seems to be the highest. (the graph is by backblaze)

Blackblaze isn't accurate for anything. A 10% failure rate is not sustainable, if that was representative of real world statistics than Seagate would no longer be making HDDs. Blackblaze uses drives FAR outside their use case even to the extent that they were basically scrounging for any drive they could their hands on -- even used drives, drives ripped out of external enclosures, etc... Not to mention that there is no consistency in testing or the sample size of each drive/brand.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Blackblaze isn't accurate for anything. A 10% failure rate is not sustainable, if that was representative of real world statistics than Seagate would no longer be making HDDs. 

fair argument

On 10/25/2017 at 2:37 PM, natsuu said:

Sorry to hear that you're running into trouble with the 4TB. You can check the health of the drive using our free diagnostic tool SeaTools if you'd like. You mentioned you bought the drive less than a year ago, sounds like you may want to look into potential warranty information, you can find our Warranty Validation Tool here.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 1:38 PM, seagate_surfer said:

Sorry to hear that you're running into trouble with the 4TB. You can check the health of the drive using our free diagnostic tool SeaTools if you'd like. You mentioned you bought the drive less than a year ago, sounds like you may want to look into potential warranty information, you can find our Warranty Validation Tool here.

already talked to customer service and already checked my drives health and it said it's healthy but they still wanted to RMA it. But I cannot just ship it back i need it on a daily bases

+1 WD Reds

i7-4770k @4.2GHz w/1.24v, Noctua NH-U14S, Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87, 32GB DDR3 1600MHz w/1.56v, NVLink RTX2080Ti FE , RAID0 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, RAID1 Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, Corsair RM850 PSU, Fractal Define R4

3x ASUS ROG PG279Q 144hz @7680x1440, Razer DeathAdder RGB Chroma, SteelSeries Apex M800 KB
Xeon E5-1650 v4 3.6GHz, Noctua U12DX i4, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC Registered, Supermicro X10-SRi-F, IBM M1015 xF IT Mode, 12x WD Red Pro 8TB, 2x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512GB, Corsair RM850 PSU, Corsair 900D, 4x Noctua NF-F12 PWM, 11x Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000, 1x NF-A14 PWM