Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommendations for materials for a pcie replacement

Hi all,

I'm planning some mods for the upcoming rebuild of my watercooled PC, and I seek your advice on material choices for the mod described: Im going to be building a vertical GPU mount to replace the pcie slots on my Lian Li PC-O9. Id like to basically build my own version of CoolerMaster's vertical gpu mount. I already have the bracket from MountainMods, and the riser cable. What type of aluminum or steel should I get for the best workability? My main tools are a dremel and a drill.  Id like to be able to bend the metal to mount it onto the cases original pcie slots (Ill be cutting out the horizontal bars)

I'm aware that there are different alloys and grades of the metals, so does anyone have any experience with ones that worked well for them?

Thank you!

Spoiler

Q: Why dont I just buy coolermasters kit?

A: Because until the moment I looked for the link to post here, it wasnt available to purchase anywhere in the US. I've already committed to a homemade one, which will be more fun anyways!

 

CPU - 1700X 3.7gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Voxels-Box said:

Hi all,

I'm planning some mods for the upcoming rebuild of my watercooled PC, and I seek your advice on material choices for the mod described: Im going to be building a vertical GPU mount to replace the pcie slots on my Lian Li PC-O9. Id like to basically build my own version of CoolerMaster's vertical gpu mount. I already have the bracket from MountainMods, and the riser cable. What type of aluminum or steel should I get for the best workability? My main tools are a dremel and a drill.  Id like to be able to bend the metal to mount it onto the cases original pcie slots (Ill be cutting out the horizontal bars)

I'm aware that there are different alloys and grades of the metals, so does anyone have any experience with ones that worked well for them?

Thank you!

  Hide contents

Q: Why dont I just buy coolermasters kit?

A: Because until the moment I looked for the link to post here, it wasnt available to purchase anywhere in the US. I've already committed to a homemade one, which will be more fun anyways!

 

For ease of working I would recommend to get aluminum, 3000 series is a commonly used one for it's ductility and ease of cold working but if you have a metal brake that would still be best to get sharp bends. You can probably get something around 20-22 gauge material. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

For ease of working I would recommend to get aluminum, 3000 series is a commonly used one for it's ductility and ease of cold working but if you have a metal brake that would still be best to get sharp bends. You can probably get something around 20-22 gauge material. 

Thank you for the info. Ill look for those. Do you think that that gauge would be bendable with a homemade wood brake? (Havent built it yet, but could if feasible)

CPU - 1700X 3.7gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Voxels-Box said:

Thank you for the info. Ill look for those. Do you think that that gauge would be bendable with a homemade wood brake? (Havent built it yet, but could if feasible)

You will have a very large radius, you may have luck if you clamp a heavy section of angle iron to prevent flex and get a good sharp angle on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, W-L said:

You will have a very large radius, you may have luck if you clamp a heavy section of angle iron to prevent flex and get a good sharp angle on it. 

Thank you! Ill keep that in mind!

CPU - 1700X 3.7gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×