6700k faulty??

Hey guys.

Just yesterday I've received my "new" 6700k. I bought it used from craigslist and the previous owner said, that he never had any problems whatsoever with the CPU.

So, I installed it and fired up Windows. Everythings works like a charm. The only exception is, that sometimes when the CPU spikes to a 100% usage, the mouse/screen just keeps locked and unresponsive for 1-3 seconds. I never had that happen with my old 6600k.

So my question is, is this normal?? Is this something that can happen or does this automatically mean, that the CPU is faulty? I mean, the System runs just fine for hours without a single freeze or similar and I would think that a faulty CPU would show itself in something like a complete shutdown of the system or bluescreens. The only thing that happend were these short mouse-locks sometimes.

Re-installed Windows

Newest BIOS version

Newest Chipset-Driver

Newest Nvidia Driver

Temps are fine ~ 70C max

GTX1070FE

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Motherboard

16GB DDR4 Ram

750 Watt Corsair PSU

So long story short. Is this normal? Can this happen? Am I being overreactive because this hasn't happend before? Does anyone else have the same issue?

Cause I'm thinking about returning the CPU but I'm not sure if this is just a common thing and will happen with another CPU also.

3 minutes ago, metigel94 said:

Hey guys.

Just yesterday I've received my "new" 6700k. I bought it used from craigslist and the previous owner said, that he never had any problems whatsoever with the CPU.

So, I installed it and fired up Windows. Everythings works like a charm. The only exception is, that sometimes when the CPU spikes to a 100% usage, the mouse/screen just keeps locked and unresponsive for 1-3 seconds. I never had that happen with my old 6600k.

So my question is, is this normal?? Is this something that can happen or does this automatically mean, that the CPU is faulty? I mean, the System runs just fine for hours without a single freeze or similar and I would think that a faulty CPU would show itself in something like a complete shutdown of the system or bluescreens. The only thing that happend were these short mouse-locks sometimes.

Re-installed Windows

Newest BIOS version

Newest Chipset-Driver

Newest Nvidia Driver

Temps are fine ~ 70C max

GTX1070FE

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Motherboard

16GB DDR4 Ram

750 Watt Corsair PSU

So long story short. Is this normal? Can this happen? Am I being overreactive because this hasn't happend before? Does anyone else have the same issue?

Cause I'm thinking about returning the CPU but I'm not sure if this is just a common thing and will happen with another CPU also.

I don't know whats wrong but it does not seem faulty. Maybe something is wrong but if its not to noticeable then its okay?

How much did you pay for it, and what did the previous owner replace it with? I think you got ripped off

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

4 minutes ago, Vroooom said:

How much did you pay for it, and what did the previous owner replace it with? I think you got ripped off

I've paid a little less than the average, but that's because it came without the original box. But I don't think that I've been ripped off because he's still in contact with me and I told him about the small problem. He said that if I can't fix it and it bothers me too much, I can just return it to him and get the money back immediately. He also said that before I bought it, that if there should be annything wrong with it, I could just return it. So I trust him.