What is a large company that you never expected to fail, that did?

SlipperyPete
1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I wasn't surprised by that, they were expensive.

It also doesn't help that Amazon is a more convenient and cheaper place to buy toys. Kids are also becoming more technology oriented often playing with their parent's iPad more than a toy.

50 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

They also banked on their own internal API - which is essentially the same issue that DirectX12 and Vulkan have, except even worse because only 3dfx cards could use it.

Eh, I'd argue Glide3D was the catalyst that started the apparent need for a 3D acceleration card. If anything, 3dfx's mark in history was that it kickstarted the whole 3D acceleration craze.

I mean before then you had 3D accelerators that either ran worse or not much better that software rendering.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Eh, I'd argue Glide3D was the catalyst that started the apparent need for a 3D acceleration card. If anything, 3dfx's mark in history was that it kickstarted the whole 3D acceleration craze.

I mean before then you had 3D accelerators that either ran worse or not much better that software rendering.

Yes at the beginning.

But they didn't adapt. Yes Glide3D started the proper surge to 3D Acceleration, but long term they didn't adapt with the market and the changing conditions.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

NCIX

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

NCIX

While one could argue that NCIX is doing badly - they haven't failed:

http://www.ncix.com/

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Linus Media Group.

Kappa.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Maybe, and also they grew too fast. Too many new stores without the demand for them.

ah ok cool

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Atari and sega. They're not really failing but more sooo.... On a thread? 

They lost huge market share, and console dominance. 

The real question is:

How is Nintendo still IN business? 

13 minutes ago, fpo said:

The real question is:

by being different than sony and MS - different consoles and different kinds of games. 

Switch is doing them really well and the wii u's failures weren't the console itself, it was pretty good. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

17 minutes ago, fpo said:

The real question is:

Atari's main market today is as a game publisher and they're supposedly doing quite decent at that.

Sega, while no longer competing on the home console market, is still a huge player on the lucrative arcade market in Japan and some of their IPs are still reasonably successful and valuable.

Nintendo is still in business because they've been rather smart with their financial planning.

Instead of focusing on rapid expansion they've kept their income as a safety net.

One of the main companies that comes to mind is Enron.

With hindsight being 20/20 it's easy enough to see why they failed, but in the late 1990s they seemed immortal.

Another company would be RCA.

While RCA never officially died, it was absorbed into GE following the massive failure of the CED format.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Switch is doing them really well and the wii u's failures weren't the console itself, it was pretty good

The WiiU's failure was largely due to it's name residing on the legacy of its immediate predecessor, and games like Star Fox Zero having good promise but were ultimately shit experiences due to bad implementation of motion control.

And no GC B/C.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

The real question is:

Making consistently good games helps.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel