Issue with Sound Leaking into Microphone

Carl DaBeast

For a while now many of my friends have complained that they can hear themselves talking through my microphone and sometimes that they hear a video that I am watching. The headphones that I am using are Razer Kraken v2, they are connected via a 4-pole 3.5mm jack into a extension splitter cable that is connected to the front-IO as the rear-IO for some reason doesn't work (MSI Z270 Gaming M7, hopefully unrelated). I did some testing and some troubleshooting to try to fix it including (links to image verification):

The testing was to verify if it was leaking into the microphone internally or externally by using the physical microphone mute slider on the headphones, the computer audio was still recorded.

Video

Only recorded in Audacity, no other sound is included. Note the microphone volume is very low.

Also the audio is very low and requires me to use Microphone Boost to be heard, however that also makes the sound leak louder. I compared it to the audio on my phone (OnePlus 3T).

Video

I don't know what causes it nor how to fix it so I am asking you all for help.

Thank you.

• Headphones: Razer Kraken V2 3.5mm jack, using extension splitter cable
  • Driver: Realtek High Definition Audio version 6.0.1.8216
  • Case: NZXT S340 Elite
  • Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming M7

19 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Thats razer for you Is this the first time u had this issue with the headset?

i really love their hardware..... their software makes me so mad though

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

48 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Thats razer for you Is this the first time u had this issue with the headset?

I mean I just recently got it, I've had the older version before but it broke some how (the mic stopped working and one of the ears stopped outputting sound). I have had the issue out of the box and with a cheap earbud headset I used before (similar to Apple earbuds with the microphone on the volume controller).

if you're playing music/voice program through headphones there shouldn't be any bleed since they are closed. Have you tried different 3.5mm on back of motherboard, I believe when it detects a plug in you can tell it what it is even if not the mic port.  Try your headset on a laptop or with a usb to 3.5mm headset adapter.  Or talk to razer customer support and rma or return.

Personally there are better options out there for headphones, I stopped buying razer after their products just die due to bad build quality. 

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

18 minutes ago, doits said:

if you're playing music/voice program through headphones there shouldn't be any bleed since they are closed. Have you tried different 3.5mm on back of motherboard, I believe when it detects a plug in you can tell it what it is even if not the mic port.  Try your headset on a laptop or with a usb to 3.5mm headset adapter.  Or talk to razer customer support and rma or return.

Personally there are better options out there for headphones, I stopped buying razer after their products just die due to bad build quality. 

I'll try to use the ports on the back, I know that in the driver app I can reassign what the port does but I haven't put time into trying to make it work as front panel IO worked. I'll double check if the headphones have the same issue on a different device. 

For the USB to 3.5mm adapter, are you referring to external USB sound cards that are small, as those are the only ones I found?

Also is it possible that the motherboard is the issue? As in the onboard soundcard is messed up and one channel is bleeding into another. I had to RMA it before because some USB connector on the rear up was shorted out so it could be another issue with this one.

1 hour ago, Carl DaBeast said:

I'll try to use the ports on the back, I know that in the driver app I can reassign what the port does but I haven't put time into trying to make it work as front panel IO worked. I'll double check if the headphones have the same issue on a different device. 

For the USB to 3.5mm adapter, are you referring to external USB sound cards that are small, as those are the only ones I found?

Also is it possible that the motherboard is the issue? As in the onboard soundcard is messed up and one channel is bleeding into another. I had to RMA it before because some USB connector on the rear up was shorted out so it could be another issue with this one.

Front case headers can have audio issues or interference, the motherboard 3.5 is the safest way to get decent audio. I just gave options to test headphone on another pc/laptop or with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2XF8V8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1      to confirm it is the headset and not motherboard audio. The usb adapter is treated as a different audio device and not part of motherboard, or just test on another computer. 

It is unlikely that it is the motherboard, more often than not it is the headphone wires. Did the headphone come with another audio cable you can try? Sometimes the single cable is bad  or the inline control and bleeds over into mic.

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

21 hours ago, doits said:

Front case headers can have audio issues or interference, the motherboard 3.5 is the safest way to get decent audio. I just gave options to test headphone on another pc/laptop or with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2XF8V8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1      to confirm it is the headset and not motherboard audio. The usb adapter is treated as a different audio device and not part of motherboard, or just test on another computer. 

It is unlikely that it is the motherboard, more often than not it is the headphone wires. Did the headphone come with another audio cable you can try? Sometimes the single cable is bad  or the inline control and bleeds over into mic.

I did a bit of testing again by connecting my headphones to my phone and recording it. The audio does leak when the microphone is off, but not when it is off, which is good. However on my computer it still leaks when it is off. However I did notice that my phone was recording me a lot louder, so I connected the microphone through the extension/splitter cable (from 4-pole TRRS to 2 3-pole TRS, the pink and green marked ones) and the audio was a lot more quiet which means that the extension is part of the issue. Except when I swapped it out for a much shorter Y spliter my voice on the computer was still quiet and the sound still leaked. I'm not sure how or what to test now.

Regarding Rear IO im not sure what I can try. There are five jacks, one which is meant for microphone and another for headphones however not marked by green and pink, but red and black because MSI. The other three are meant to set up a surround sound system, however for full surround you also need to use the headphone jack. However the issue is that the motherboard does not understand which one I am going for and there's no way to tell it, so the only way I can get audio or microphone on the back is to re assign what the microphone port does, and then I can only have either sound or microphone.

Do you have any ideas what the issue could be or how to fix it?

If it leaks with microphone off It's probably the cable or internal to headphone. I'd try to return or contact razer for rma.