Pixel 2 & Pixel 2 XL – This review was FUN

Thanks for the review!  My XL should land on Tuesday. I usually wrap my phones in toast skins, but those new dbrand varieties are lookin' real nice.

Beautiful video, Linus!!! :D

Can you share a link to the song used in the background of the entire video please? :D Sounds super good :D

Whats the song in the background at like 1.30

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

Hi - Why isnt this color combination of the Google Pixel 2 XL available on the Google Store?

48D17DE3-D507-437E-BF8D-34B9CFE777C6.png

Any opinions on the screen issues people seem to be reporting with the Pixel 2 XL?

Pixel 2 & Pixel 2 XL – This review was FUN

Clickbait title. I assume it's all bland and meaningless at this point. Sometimes you have subtle thoughts that want to end it all when you need to review another phone. Recently you've come frighteningly close to actually doing it. 

If you feel like killing yourself Linus call me. If I've got nothing else to do I might give you my best advice- turn the channel into a hydroponic gardening channel and adopt some kind of religion. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

30 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Clickbait title. I assume it's all bland and meaningless at this point. Sometimes you have subtle thoughts that want to end it all when you need to review another phone. Recently you've come frighteningly close to actually doing it. 

If you feel like killing yourself Linus call me. If I've got nothing else to do I might give you my best advice- turn the channel into a hydroponic gardening channel and adopt some kind of religion. 

well that escalated quickly

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

well that escalated quickly

=)

For real though phones have been incredibly boring for me for a long time, and I'm not the only one that feels this way. At some point they started performing all of the functions that most people want and the improvements went from exciting leaps and bounds to small incremental steps. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

=)

For real though phones have been incredibly boring for me for a long time, and I'm not the only one that feels this way. At some point they started performing all of the functions that most people want and the improvements went from exciting leaps and bounds to small incremental steps. 

Personally I find them (even android) way too dumbed down and restrictive.  I need a desktop OS on anything I use xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Personally I find them (even android) way too dumbed down and restrictive.  I need a desktop OS on anything I use xD

yep. I blame phones for making websites on desktop limited and cancer. And why does every site need a fucking app now, to the point that reddit and imgur for example start breaking their mobile site to push people to an app? that's not intuitive at all. 

I don't get the trend to use phones as primary devices. I would rather have a great experience on the internet when I can sit down in front of a PC instead of a mediocre experience all the time. The frustration using a phone outweighs even being on the internet in the first place for me. 

muh specs 

All parts black

A 5 inch phone with top specs AND stereo front speakers? Fiiiiiinally time to trade in my HTC One M7 (maybe not my Axon 7 yet though)

Just now, Zxero said:

A 5 inch phone with top specs AND stereo front speakers? Fiiiiiinally time to trade in my HTC One M7 (maybe not my Axon 7 yet though)

I prefer a smaller phone, so I got the XZ1 compact

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

I prefer a smaller phone, so I got the XZ1 compact

Same, for once I'd like a phone I can reach with one hand (I remember when 6 inches was considered tablet size xD)

I looked at the XZ1 too but that glass seems to scratch with the slightest bit of pocket-lint and the sound never compared to HTC's. 

3 minutes ago, Zxero said:

Same, for once I'd like a phone I can reach with one hand (I remember when 6 inches was considered tablet size xD)

I looked at the XZ1 too but that glass seems to scratch with the slightest bit of pocket-lint and the sound never compared to HTC's. 

Screen protector, and the speakers are much better than last gen the XZ1 compact is smaller too so its the best single handed experience.

Hey does anyone know what widget shows the date and weather that Linus is using at the top of his home screen?

43 minutes ago, Zxero said:

If it had a 3.5mm jack I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I refuse to buy a phone without one.. rip

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

1 hour ago, Engineer Faunce said:

Hey does anyone know what widget shows the date and weather that Linus is using at the top of his home screen?

It's a part of the Pixel launcher, which is exclusive to Pixel phones.

I used to be quite active here.

Honestly, if I had to choose, the standard Pixel 2.

I can live with the sRGB gamut and color-shifting on the 2 XL. BUT I cannot stand having a display that burns-in after less than a week of use. Doesn’t seem to be isolated either, as I’ve seen mounting reports of those having seen their navbar and statusbar burn-in after less than a week of use, and my friend’s own 2 XL exhibited the same after 5 days.

For a near-$1000 phone, I would have expected a better quality display. And this is a pain because a heap of stuff on the 2 XL are GREAT. But a poor-quality display like that is just inexcusable. I’m REALLY hoping this is fixed soon because I’m a display freak and even slight burn-in is enough to drive me nuts, especially on top-tier flagships.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 10/22/2017 at 6:54 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then I think you will really like this phone that was just funded (runs the linux distro of your choice): https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

4 hours ago, Pcgeekbrain said:

Then I think you will really like this phone that was just funded (runs the linux distro of your choice): https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

I heard about that and it has my attention but there's a lot more hurdles for that to cross.  Being a crowd-funded thing, the biggest is "being a normal company".  I need to see them successfully transition from the funding stage to actually being self-sufficient, and I need to see them actually product the product xD Then of course I'd like to see it reviewed, and if it's good, and if it can do everything I need, then maybe, but I just feel like it's way too likely something will mess up along the way.  If they're planning to make it run linux, I suspect the interface may be one of those things.  Yes I want desktop OS functionality but it still has to be convenient enough to use.  I wouldn't even mind having to drop down to crude "drag to move cursor and tap to click" controls if I have to on occasion but that can't be the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know the song yet? :')

Would be good to know :D

12 minutes ago, nexusmaniac said:

Anyone know the song yet? :')

Would be good to know :D

The intro and outro music are linked in the description.  Is it one of those?