Asus believes Coffee Lake should work on Z270

NumLock21
2 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

so this is Intel decision to fu*k end users up into buying a new board

thanks Intel

I think Intel fxck up the retailers even more. All the Z270 boards will have to cut price big time.

21 minutes ago, FRlTZ said:

-snip-

"Looks at LGA771 Xeon X5450 with its sticker to run on LGA775 motherboard"

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

30 minutes ago, FRlTZ said:

and just to hurts it's own economy even more,

Not likely, they can't keep up with the CL demand.   At best/worst they have a few more 7700K's they can shift with their ubber gaming bundle extraordinaire.

I am constantly amazed by how many people get wet panties over AMD's incremental improvements over 3-4 years even though they never actually upgrade that often.  Damn you Intel I paid $330 for my i5 3550, now I can;t even buy a new CPU for the mobo.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So those extra power delivery pins on z370 will be capable of powering the rumored 8/10 core chips out next year but the z270 chipset as is can run the current coffee lake lineup ? Weren't Z270 boards non backward compatible with Skylake till they put out a BIOS update as well ?

Why like this, Intel ? Gib BIOS pls

2 hours ago, dave_k said:

The all power delivery thing is BS.

Most good Z270 boards had overkill VRMs, they would have no problem with another 20-40A

There are other chipsets, not everyone buys z motherboards, instead of supporting some boards and not some others, it was obviously easier to simply release new chipsets.

2 hours ago, Ezilkannan said:

True that, but I doubt Zen refresh / Zen 2 would give any drastic performance gains against Zen. We may get to see some IPC improvement, but I'm very skeptical. I doubt AMD will catch up to Intel in IPC or clock speed event at Zen 3

Zen has a lot of low hanging fruit. Not saying you should expect miracles but there's a lot of room to grow. Intel can't say the same; they're working on a brand new architecture.

Just now, Trixanity said:

Zen has a lot of low hanging fruit. Not saying you should expect miracles but there's a lot of room to grow. Intel can't say the same; they're working on a brand new architecture.

Thing is, will AMD make full use of that? I'm not too sure.

now what did i freaking say... ofc they arent needed, the pins are already well capable of delivering the extra power

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

So without naming and shaming, certain people in the other threads who "knew for a fact" Intel couldn't support CL on older chipsets were talking out of their asses.

Don't know how many said couldn't but I was certainly saying wouldn't. Whether it was right or wrong that's been Intel's trend and they stuck too it, it's just that the time frames were much closer which is mostly where the outrage comes from and not actually Z270 not supporting CL.

We also have to consider the generation after CL and what chipset that would have to use, it's much nicer in the long run to cut support now and release Z370 and support a forward generation on that.

No matter which way we'd either have a bunch of people with KL CPUs crying fowl or a bunch of people with CL CPUs crying fowl, however it does make less sense putting a new CPU generation in to an older motherboard/chipset that you know will be depreciated in the next generation if you do care about being able to upgrade a CPU as has been much of the arguments about this topic.

13 minutes ago, Ezilkannan said:

Thing is, will AMD make full use of that? I'm not too sure.

What makes you think they can't, it's not like they are polishing a turd like they were in the past. You can polish a turd but all you're left with is shit on your hands ;).

So I was right all along ^_^ It's "because Intel", not because of serious hardware limitations...

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

So without naming and shaming, certain people in the other threads who "knew for a fact" Intel couldn't support CL on older chipsets were talking out of their asses.

Remember my thread about it? :P

quote from the original post

It's probably either due to some architectural changes in Coffee Lake over Skylake & Kaby Lake or it's just Intel being assholes again and creating artificial limitations so people buy more CPUs ^_^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

What makes you think they can't, it's not like they are polishing a turd like they were in the past. You can polish a turd but all you're left with is shit on your hands ;).

And a really shiny shit.

AMD will do alright, no reason to think they won't at the moment.  The only thing I'd be cautious of is banking on a Zen2+ dropping into today's AM4 and getting the full gamut of goodness from it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The only thing I'd be cautious of is banking on a Zen2+ dropping into today's AM4 and getting the full gamut of goodness from it.

Word play could be the key to that, support doesn't always mean fully featured like in the past with AMD and their CPUs support across multiple sockets. I can see the arguments already xD.

I can see it now, Zen2+ with DDR4 and DDR5 support but will only support DDR4 in AM4/TR4.

Just now, leadeater said:

Word play could be the key to that, support doesn't always mean fully featured like in the past with AMD and their CPUs support across multiple sockets. I can see the arguments now xD.

I can see it now, Zen2+ with DDR4 and DDR5 support but will only support DDR4 in AM4/TR4.

exactly, the future is a big unknown, anyone who walks in thinking stuff like memory/expansion lanes etc won't change is going to be in for a surprise.

8 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

So I was right all along ^_^ It's "because Intel", not because of serious hardware limitations...

Remember my thread about it? :P

quote from the original post

You do realise the article doesn't exactly say that don't you?   It says they can run the lower core count CL CPU's on some 200 series boards, but there are still 20 power management pins that he admits will be needed later on.  There is a big difference between top of the line z series boards being able to cope with 6 cores now and all 200 series boards being able to do it for the rest of the CL line up.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I am very skeptical with respect to IPC and single thread performance gains. Ryzen is behind/at Haswell right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Zen 2 is still behind Skylake.

Don't get paranoid or defensive guys, no need for that.

Yeah, at least one person (although I'm pretty sure there were a few) stated categorically that Intel had to redesign things to accommodate CL and it was impossible for them to offer backwards support but it won't be the first or last time someone on a tech forum posted something that wasn't true as a fact and we're all adults.

I shouldn't really have even brought it up, it was a flippant comment meant only to be semi serious. I actually intended to add a smiley to the end of it to show it wasn't entirely serious but it was 6am and I forgot.

At the end of the day it's Intel we should be mad at.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You do realise the article doesn't exactly say that don't you?   It says they can run the lower core count CL CPU's on some 200 series boards, but there are still 20 power management pins that he admits will be needed later on.  There is a big difference between top of the line z series boards being able to cope with 6 cores now and all 200 series boards being able to do it for the rest of the CL line up.

I'm sure they could support Coffee Lake on decent Z170/Z270 boards, they just chose not to.

Of course, one might argue that it's to avoid any confusion for potential buyers but then again, the socket is called the same which introduces A LOT confusion to customers that aren't as tech savvy as we are. For instance, I'm sure that even my Z170 Extreme4 could support the 8600K/8700K.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I shouldn't really have even brought it up, it was a flippant comment meant only to be semi serious. I actually intended to add a smiley to the end of it to show it wasn't entirely serious but it was 6am and I forgot.

Was more trying to own it, it's not like you can't go in to that thread and not see me in multiple pages discussing it xD. I don't actually remember that many people actually saying it couldn't support it until the topic/news item about the pin configuration came out, that generated a lot of "see look at this".

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

I'm sure they could support Coffee Lake on decent Z170/Z270 boards, they just chose not to.

Of course, one might argue that it's to avoid any confusion for potential buyers but then again, the socket is called the same which introduces A LOT confusion to customers that aren't as tech savvy as we are. For instance, I'm sure that even my Z170 Extreme4 could support the 8600K/8700K.

Well, I'm not going to go around making assumptions one way or the other until we know for sure.  

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Was more trying to own it, it's not like you can't go in to that thread and not see me in multiple pages discussing it xD. I don't actually remember that many people actually saying it couldn't support it until the topic/news item about the pin configuration came out, that generated a lot of "see look at this".

The news about pin config certainly gave credence to the belief there was nothing untoward in Intel motives.  And to be honest I still feel there is not enough information on the topic to make a motivational call just yet anyway.

1 hour ago, Ezilkannan said:

I am very skeptical with respect to IPC and single thread performance gains. Ryzen is behind/at Haswell right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Zen 2 is still behind Skylake.

Are you honestly claiming AMD can't do a 5% IPC improvement with Zen? Because that's what separates Haswell and Skylake in IPC. While it was a shit show, AMD managed double digit IPC increases with the Construction family of chips between generations with one exception I believe (which was 9% if I recall). Intel saw the biggest gains from Sandy to Haswell which was double digit as well. Since then we're looking at 2-5% between generations. Skylake being at 5% was an outlier, the rest are 2-3% and while I haven't seen the numbers, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake might be within the margin of error.

The rest comes down to clock speed and that's where I would be skeptical too. However 7 nm should be interesting. We don't know how the node behaves with high frequencies. We know the current 14 nm is derived from a mobile low power node which means it doesn't do well with high frequencies. The upcoming 12 nm process for Zen+ is supposedly tweaked for higher frequencies but I doubt it it's a significant change from 14 nm, so I don't expect more than 200 MHz extra at the top.

Yeah... what annoyed me was that mATX Z370 motherboards will only be available next year, since I wanted to buy a mATX i7 8700k system I decided to call it all off... if I have to wait until next year for it I might as well wait longer for the finally so long waited 10nm processors on the yet new z390 chipset

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Clock for clock, jumping from Skylake to Haswell garners a 10% IPC difference, and most generational single-threaded improvements remained around 5% until Kaby Lake, with around 10% improvement going from Sandy -> Ivy.

The margin of error increase was recent. Everything else has seen improvements from what I remember.

Not according to Anandtech. They quote 5.7% from Haswell to Skylake with DDR3 RAM installed. To contrast they listed 2.4% for DDR3 and 2.7% for DDR4 - both from Broadwell to Skylake. Of course this is an average. The actual benchmarks vary greatly but average is the right way to do it because otherwise you skew it if you either look at benchmarks that show 0% gains or look at ones that show 20% (or for instance Dolphin showing 70% gains from Sandy to Skylake with DDR3).

Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge: Average ~5.8% Up
Ivy Bridge to Haswell: Average ~11.2% Up
Haswell to Broadwell: Average ~3.3% Up
Broadwell to Skylake (DDR3): Average ~2.4% Up
Broadwell to Skylake (DDR4): Average ~2.7% Up

Haswell to Skylake (DDR3): Average ~5.7% Up

Just for reference.

7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Asus confirms Coffee Lake does work on Z270

Did I miss something?

Wouldn't that mean that they literally have Coffee lake running on Z270?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

could be big if intel lets it happen.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Did I miss something?

Wouldn't that mean that they literally have Coffee lake running on Z270?

Probably more like they could make it work but Intel won't allow it and they need Intel to provide some prerequisite software updates (BIOS and Management Engine updates). What they're saying is that there is technically no reason for it to not work other than it needing a software update. The hardware is fine.