Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I want an app. Why can't we have one?

Xanthe_2871
 Share

Well, the feature suggestion page has a clear rule that there are to be no suggestions for a LTT app, but nothing says the topic itself is taboo. Just that they don't want suggestions for it... so, off topic here I go:

 

I want a LTT app!

 

I understand it's not something you can just snap a finger and have, but seriously I feel like the official reasons against it are nothing more than excuses. The website is good enough? Maybe if Chrome properly handled websites' notifications. I sign up/agree to notifications from LTT on my phone every time I get a new phone or reset my Chrome app. It works for a little while but then stops. That's super annoying. If we had our own app we wouldn't need to rely on Chrome or Google to fix that.

 

It's a lot of work? Ok then, maybe we should start a community open source app for it. Or start a kickstarter! Lots of things are a lot of work, that in and of itself is not a reason not to do something. 

 

No one would use it? I highly doubt that. Clearly if it's being suggested often enough that the mods feel it necessary to ban the topic from the suggestions section plenty of people would use it. I mean come on, non-tech forums have their own apps, and we don't?

 

If there is a more serious reason this topic is not on the table, I'd like to know what it is. If enough users want it then we should be able to surpass any obstacle.

 

P.S: Please keep any responses to this civil. I'm not trying to enrage anyone here. We're a community of tech nerds, this seems like a no brainer! Particularly if the LTT team in unable to do so themselves, why can't we? I'm no programmer, but I'll put my money where my mouth is. I love this site, and I will personally help anyone/any group who wants to get this going, granted the LTT team doesn't have some secret agenda against the core concept or something. O.o

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Well, the feature suggestion page has a clear rule that there are to be no suggestions for a LTT app, but nothing says the topic itself is taboo. Just that they don't want suggestions for it... so, off topic here I go:

 

I want a LTT app!

 

I understand it's not something you can just snap a finger and have, but seriously I feel like the official reasons against it are nothing more than excuses. The website is good enough? Maybe if Chrome properly handled websites' notifications. I sign up/agree to notifications from LTT on my phone every time I get a new phone or reset my Chrome app. It works for a little while but then stops. That's super annoying. If we had our own app we wouldn't need to rely on Chrome or Google to fix that.

 

It's a lot of work? Ok then, maybe we should start a community open source app for it. Or start a kickstarter! Lots of things are a lot of work, that in and of itself is not a reason not to do something. 

 

No one would use it? I highly doubt that. Clearly if it's being suggested often enough that the mods feel it necessary to ban the topic from the suggestions section plenty of people would use it. I mean come on, non-tech forums have their own apps, and we don't?

 

If there is a more serious reason this topic is not on the table, I'd like to know what it is. If enough users want it then we should be able to surpass any obstacle.

 

P.S: Please keep any responses to this civil. I'm not trying to enrage anyone here. We're a community of tech nerds, this seems like a no brainer! Particularly if the LTT team in unable to do so themselves, why can't we? I'm no programmer, but I'll put my money where my mouth is. I love this site, and I will personally help anyone/any group who wants to get this going, granted the LTT team doesn't have some secret agenda against the core concept or something. O.o

I know... I want one too

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Because it's fairly pointless?

It'd just be Safari wrapped in an app with iOS and probably Chrome wrapped in an app with Android.

Not if it has reliable push notifications! :D and maybe even a unique notification sound.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Go make one and see just how hard it is to make.

Difficulty alone is not an excuse.  I know it's hard, I know it's time consuming, but I believe it is also worth it!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Difficulty alone is not an excuse.  I know it's hard, I know it's time consuming, but I believe it is also worth it!

No it's not, just use the mobile site. It works flawlessly. There's no point in wasting time and effort for something that won't work as well for a veeeeeeeeeeery long time.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

they are launching floatplane as a standalone service soon, and have hired developers. I assume an app will follow at some point. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

No it's not, just use the mobile site. It works flawlessly. There's no point in wasting time and effort for something that won't work as well for a veeeeeeeeeeery long time.

The mobile website does work, but my biggest gripe is the notifications. With Chrome on Android, it only works sometimes and when it does it's just my generic system default sound. I want notifications, every time, with a specific sound.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

The mobile website does work, but my biggest gripe is the notifications. With Chrome on Android, it only works sometimes and when it does it's just my generic system default sound. I want notifications, every time, with a specific sound.

Good for you, that's not worth the time or money.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It works flawlessly.

Not universally, I'd describe the mobile site as fairly finicky, and it has gotten worse since the highly unecessary update not too long ago.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

 

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

 

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

 

Everybody turns to dust.

 

Everybody turns to dust.

 

The blood is on your hands.

 

The blood is on your hands!

 

Pyo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Alexsolo said:

App is probably an un-needed very low priority for them right now.

But we are a community of tech nerds. It's not like the LTT staff are the only ones who can do this. Why not have a community driven, open sourced app?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats this? Its a responsive website? Not everthing needs an app? Most apps are for information farming? Sites like reddit and imgur intentionally break their mobile site then try to force people to use apps? You want ltt to do that? 

Screenshot_2017-10-18-22-11-17.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Drak3 said:

Not universally, I'd describe the mobile site as fairly finicky, and it has gotten worse since the highly unecessary update not too long ago.

From what I've seen, it's very rare for someone to have a serious issue on an browser version and OS version that works perfectly fine for basically everyone else.

 

And I can't speak for any issues, it works perfectly fine on my retarded S3, and that phone has issues out the wazoo.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Whats this? Its a responsive website? Not everthing needs an app? Most apps are for information farming?

-pic-

This is all true. But for us, a bunch of geeks, is responsive really sufficient? We can do better! We can aim higher! Like I said, it doesn't have to be the LTT staff to do this.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

This is all true. But for us, a bunch of geeks, is responsive really sufficient? We can do better! We can aim higher! Like I said, it doesn't have to be the LTT staff to do this.

I literally want apps to die and i'm not the only one. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

From what I've seen, it's very rare for someone to have a serious issue on an browser version and OS version that works perfectly fine for basically everyone else.

I wouldn't describe the issues as overly serious, but the experience could easily be improved.

 

But since the update, highlighting text aligns the "quote this" dialogue behind either multiquote, report, or share post, the reaction popup menu (extremely stupid IMO), doesn't work at any capacity other than as 'like,' regardless of wifi or LTE data,  the page now always takes a few seconds to post a reply, and the site often will trigger a network changed error before loading.

 

And I've replicated these problems in both Safari on OS X and Edge by simply resizing the window to the point that it switches over to the mobile site.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

 

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

 

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

 

Everybody turns to dust.

 

Everybody turns to dust.

 

The blood is on your hands.

 

The blood is on your hands!

 

Pyo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I wouldn't describe the issues as overly serious, but the experience could easily be improved.

 

But since the update, highlighting text aligns the "quote this" dialogue behind either multiquote, report, or share post, the reaction popup menu (extremely stupid IMO), doesn't work at any capacity other than as 'like,' regardless of wifi or LTE data,  the page now always takes a few seconds to post a reply, and the site often will trigger a network changed error before loading.

 

And I've replicated these problems in both Safari on OS X and Edge by simply resizing the window to the point that it switches over to the mobile site.

I can't reproduce that on my phone or computer. Those are odd issues you've got there though.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

everytime this comes up, the only reason people give for an app is "push notifications" that's hardly enough of a reason to create an entire app. just open the website every so often to see if you have any notifications

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

On 10/01/2017 at 8:24 AM, colonel_mortis said:

The following suggestions have been proposed numerous times, but are not planned, and we are not looking for feedback on these issues at this time:

  • A forum app
    Due to limited resources available, and the functional mobile site, there are no plans to develop an app for the site at this time.

 

 

39 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

 Like I said, it doesn't have to be the LTT staff to do this.

 

Yes it does - we've already had members ask for API keys and they will not be provided. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share


×