Video Quality.

Coconuts

Hi all! Just looking for a point in the right direction, when streaming movies on PC say a blu ray rip, the quality is pretty poor compared to watching the same film but on disc.

tried on different browsers and even apps.

Is it possible to fix this or is it just how it is? hahahaha

running gtx970 through a 4k TV

Thanks for the reply! I was meaning a rip on a streaming site

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Welp, there's your problem. o.O

thanks for the reply!

ahhh i take it because its a random stream it wont run aswell as the disc.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

thanks for the reply!

Said random stream was probably compressed in a less than sufficient manner.

If you have access to a Blu-ray drive you can rip and encode your own discs and probably have them look better than whatever streaming site.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

thanks for the reply!

I have never come across a streaming site with good quality. The actual BluRay disc is going to be highest quality, shy of stealing the source film reels from the production studio. After that, full uncompressed rips you make yourself from the disc are the next best option, then good quality rips from the scene, usually acquired via the BitTorrent protocol. Everything after that is just bunk quality, either because people don't know how or just don't care to encode things right.

Please note that consuming, watching, or listening to content you don't have a license for may be illegal in your country, so please ensure you've paid for a license before acquiring the content via unofficial distribution means, such as PopcornTime, BitTorrent, or via open HTTP/S directories found on some russian server.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Thanks for the reply’s everyone! Got that cleared right up ???

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 4:30 PM, Coconuts said:

Thanks for the reply’s everyone! Got that cleared right up ???

Try watching UHD (or even 5K / 8K) streams if your connection and system can accommodate it. They are typically much higher bitrate.

On 10/19/2017 at 1:37 PM, kirashi said:

Please note that consuming, watching, or listening to content you don't have a license for may be illegal in your country, so please ensure you've paid for a license before acquiring the content via unofficial distribution means, such as PopcornTime, BitTorrent, or via open HTTP/S directories found on some russian server.

I wish I could find the link to the article I was reading concerning consumption of pirated content but from what I remember, at least in the EU, it isn't actually illegal to view pirated content from say a stream. Of course, if one were to download the content, then it would be illegal. Don't quote me on this but that is how I remember it.

That said, depriving artists of the revenue they deserve is bad. I'm not unsympathetic to those with hindrances to legitimate access, but it's best to support content creators whenever possible.

Also, if one were to choose to pirate, a stream would generally be the last place I would turn. Given the OP's desire for quality, I would do a little Googling for a torrent because it's possible to find some pretty good quality rips with surround sound intact. You can even sometimes find lossless rips.

2 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

I wish I could find the link to the article I was reading concerning consumption of pirated content but from what I remember, at least in the EU, it isn't actually illegal to view pirated content from say a stream. 

It is illegal in the EU without a doubt.

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2017-04/cp170040en.pdf

2nd page bold paragraph

29 minutes ago, .spider. said:

It is illegal in the EU without a doubt.

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2017-04/cp170040en.pdf

2nd page bold paragraph

This isn't the exact article I was reading before but it mentions what I read in the past and it touches on the ruling that you linked me to.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/new-crackdown-on-kodi-boxes-launched-heres-how-it-affects-you/ar-BBzBTsJ

"In a landmark ruling in 2014, the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that internet users who look at copyrighted material online aren't breaking the law by doing so, citing Article 5.1 of the EU Copyright Directive.

It stated that copies of copyrighted material that appear "on the users computer screen" and "in the internet 'cache' of that computer's hard disk" are "temporary" and "may therefore be made without the authorisation of the copyright holders"."

From what I can tell here, this recent ruling is very narrow in that it directly relates to streaming devices and doesn't override the previous ruling. That is, if I am reading this correctly.