HP Builds A Beast Of A Tablet!

Let's be honest, most of the tablets and detachable screen PCs out there these days are less the impressive.  Light weight and portable has taken precedent over power and usability...but not anymore!  HP's  ZBook x2 isn't light weight (weighing in at a whopping 4.78 lbs), but boy is it powerful.  Sporting a quad core i7 Kaby Lake R-Line processor, an Nvidia Quadro M620 gpu, 32 Gbs of RAM, and a 2Tb SSD, this bad boy can handle just about anything you throw at it!

The I/O is fully stocked with smart card and SD card readers, HDMI, USB 3.0 port, and two(2) USB Type-C ports w/ thunderbolt support; allowing it to power 2 4K monitors.  Other features include and 720p webcam and a fully backlit keyboard.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/18/16490876/hp-zbook-x2-workstation-detachable-pc-announced-omg

HP states that the base model will start at $1,749 (USD), but for the model above, get ready to pay much, much more when it's released in December.

Doesn't meet the TNaR posting guidelines.

Tablets like these are cool but i've always seen them as a "do you want to pay a lot more than a laptop for a laptop that pretends to be a tablet with a shittier keyboard for the sake of it being slightly smaller?" kind of thing. More power to the folks that like them but they've always seems like a pretty sizable trade off just for the sake of calling itself a "tablet"

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Definitely not a tablet. They can get rid of a keyboard all they want but its still a Windows device and like with the Surface lineup, it not very efficient or even easy to use it without the 120$ or 180$ fingerprint sensor keyboard attachment. While a normal tablet when used in comparison day to day as a normal tablet for browsing and Netflix, etc. will blow this out of the water in terms of usability and battery life.

I don't see much of a market for this. It doesn't say for certain if the keyboard is included with the purchase so that may as well be another 150-200$ more on the price. This is basically just a regular laptop that can remove it's keyboard rather than a tablet that can use a keyboard persay.

do we really need a tablet to do more than Netflix, a few emulated games  and web browsing 

Life is easy, all you have to do is Live

5 minutes ago, Juniho said:

do we really need a tablet to do more than Netflix, a few emulated games  and web browsing 

What do consumers even do with tablets anyway?I don't know why anyone would need them, for most things there are smartphones and laptops for everything else.

Wait, I just noticed.

1 hour ago, tropton13 said:

32 Gbs of RAM

So it has 4 gigabytes of RAM? Because you wrote that it has 32 gigabits of RAM, which equals 4GB RAM.

8 minutes ago, Juniho said:

The I/O makes it great for multiple tools on the go.  (oscilloscope, ECU code reader, remapper, custom automated control and shit like that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This might be the worst tablet I've seen all year.

Why not just make the keyboard permanently attached?

11 hours ago, MyName13 said:

What do consumers even do with tablets anyway?I don't know why anyone would need them, for most things there are smartphones and laptops for everything else.

I use my tablet all the time.

1) Web browsing in bed/bathtub.

2) Video watching.

3) Letting my niece and nephew play games on it.

4) Reading manga.

You know, all the things this tablet will be horrible at because of size, weight and battery issues.

So basically every all in one pc is consider a "tablet". 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, phongle123 said:

Definitely not a tablet. They can get rid of a keyboard all they want but its still a Windows device and like with the Surface lineup, it not very efficient or even easy to use it without the 120$ or 180$ fingerprint sensor keyboard attachment.

I disagree. 10+ inch tablets, and Windows 10 is easily a superior tablet OS to iOS or Android.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I disagree. 10+ inch tablets, and Windows 10 is easily a superior tablet OS to iOS or Android.

How exactly?

Looking at my use cases above, I think iOS/Android is far superior to Windows. Sure if you want to run "proper" programs on it then Windows is better, but 99.9% of those programs are horrible to use on a tablet and you would much rather use a laptop.

One of our clients have Surface Pros as their computers. I have never seen anyone use it as an actual tablet, without the keyboard dock. It just makes me go "why didn't you get a laptop?".

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This might be the worst tablet I've seen all year.

Why not just make the keyboard permanently attached?

I use my tablet all the time.

1) Web browsing in bed/bathtub.

2) Video watching.

3) Letting my niece and nephew play games on it.

4) Reading manga.

You know, all the things which tablet will be horrible at because of size, weight and battery issues.

and if you get a good keyboard its perfectly capable of office work too. I use my tablet for work, Samsung Tab S....

I doubt your every day consumer is the target market for this particular tablet. This type of high powered tablet is exactly the type of thing that I would want to take with me when I go take 3d laser scans. I'd be able to take scans, transfer to the tablet via SD card, and stitch the scans together (or at least view them); all without having to go back to the office. Or even better, I could run a FARO Freestyle on it. Would be more useful if it didn't have a camera on it though.

Granted, HP makes rugged versions of tablets like this as well that are used for these purposes; the above it more of an example of what this type of hardware is used for. The fact this is coming from HP and they include a smart card reader is a pretty good hint at who this thing is marketed towards.

@tropton13

Your Post has been moved to "Phones and Tablets" as it does not meet the Posting Guidelines for the News & Reviews Section.

Your post will be moved back once it has been updated, PM a mod when done.

You may review the guidelines here;

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER