Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with a build

dstlny

I have £889 to spend on a system which can run the following games as high as possible @ 1080p60:

- Tom Clancy’s The Division

- Battlefield 1/3/4

- PUBG (ofcourse, poorly optimised, this will be ran as low as possible)

- Some newer games as well

I don’t need the OS (as i can just download the Windows 10 install from MS), nor do i need m/k or monitor etc. everything else however i do need.

This is primarily a gaming rig, though i will be using applications such as Eclipse (IDE) as well as QSEE.

Thanks for any suggestions ;) 

Here is what I would recommend at this time:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  (£187.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£106.71 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£140.49 @ Alza) 
Storage: PNY - CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£37.79 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  (£365.99 @ Aria PC) 
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  (£51.95 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 
Total: £890.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-18 19:22 BST+0100

Couple of points

1) You could easily swap mobo/cpu for a B350 and Ryzen 1600. You'd get a slight bump in some productivity things but a slight hit on games. Shouldn't matter too much at the resolution you want (1080p up to around 100hz after that Ryzen lags behind intel too much)

2) You might be able to soon replace this 1070 card for a 1070ti. This is also going to depend quite a bit on local availability so with things being what they are the GPU should be the best and most fastest (hehe) than you can afford. Anything at 570 or 580 level for AMD and 1060 6gb for Nvidia and above. Also you could maybe find something like a 980ti (competes closely with the 1070) so that might be a nice option too in this times of hard-to-find gpus.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  (£365.99 @ Aria PC) 

Seems a little overkill if pubg is the most graphically demanding game you want to play. I play pubg at ultra (60 ish fps, drops to 50 in large towns sometimes) with a gtx 1060 6gb. 

I don't really know about battlefield & the division cause I don't actually play those games.

depends on if you want to be able to wait longer before upgrading. 

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Here is what I would recommend at this time:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  (£187.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£106.71 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£140.49 @ Alza) 
Storage: PNY - CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£37.79 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  (£365.99 @ Aria PC) 
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  (£51.95 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 
Total: £890.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-18 19:22 BST+0100

Couple of points

1) You could easily swap mobo/cpu for a B350 and Ryzen 1600. You'd get a slight bump in some productivity things but a slight hit on games. Shouldn't matter too much at the resolution you want (1080p up to around 100hz after that Ryzen lags behind intel too much)

2) You might be able to soon replace this 1070 card for a 1070ti. This is also going to depend quite a bit on local availability so with things being what they are the GPU should be the best and most fastest (hehe) than you can afford. Anything at 570 or 580 level for AMD and 1060 6gb for Nvidia and above. Also you could maybe find something like a 980ti (competes closely with the 1070) so that might be a nice option too in this times of hard-to-find gpus.

Your build has no pricing for the SSD and the PSU

:)

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Isn't a 1070(Ti) a bit overkill for 1080p60? 

PUBG won't scale regardless and BF1 runs very well on a 1060 6GB at 1080p

Unless you imply futureproofing (not sold on that argument) or potential upgrade to 1440p I don't see the point

9 minutes ago, Jdaithesecond said:

Seems a little overkill if pubg is the most graphically demanding game you want to play. I play pubg at ultra (60 ish fps, drops to 50 in large towns sometimes) with a gtx 1060 6gb. 

I don't really know about battlefield & the division cause I don't actually play those games.

depends on if you want to be able to wait longer before upgrading. 

Yeah. The main aim of the build is to build one which will run all those games and more at as high as possible and any new games as high as possible without having to upgrade for quite some time, i am a student as well and would like to spend as little as possible on ugrades in the coming years :).

Me and my brother have managed to merge the build the chap suggested with another similar build. We’ll be keeping the GPU/CPU/MOBO and getting some cheaper ram from Crucial, ditching the SSD, going for a 500w PSU instead. On the site which is local to me (CCL-computers) the prices for the parts the guy listed are actually much cheaper, so i have some more space to fit some things in (like £110 extra, if i needed)

1 minute ago, dstlny said:

Yeah. The main aim of the build is to build one which will run all those games and more at as high as possible and any new games as high as possible without having to upgrade for quite some time, i am a student as well and would like to spend as little as possible on ugrades in the coming years :)

In that case, I'd try to stretch for a 1080 or a 1080 TI unless money is really an issue. 1070 should be fine for a good 5 years at least.

4 minutes ago, Jdaithesecond said:

In that case, I'd try to stretch for a 1080 or a 1080 TI unless money is really an issue. 1070 should be fine for a good 5 years at least.

Just edited the reply, could go for a 1080 depending on how much cheaper the whole build will be from the local retailers, and how much the 1080 would be compared to the 1070 - and if the jump in perf would be worth it

46 minutes ago, light-v said:

Isn't a 1070(Ti) a bit overkill for 1080p60? 

PUBG won't scale regardless and BF1 runs very well on a 1060 6GB at 1080p

Unless you imply futureproofing (not sold on that argument) or potential upgrade to 1440p I don't see the point

Yes it's a bit overkill, but so it's the budget so I'd use it for kind of future proofing as you mention.

I know it's not perfect but it's also not unreasonable to expect that a 1070 will still be able to play all AAA games at 1080p60fps in 2019 whereas a 1060 probably will be limited to noticeable lower settings (kind of like how it is using a 960 vs a 970 today)

-------

Current Rig

-------