Edge Beats Chrome and Firefox at Blocking Malware and Phishing Attacks

iamdarkyoshi

it's like that ugly car that didn't get robbed when cooler cars that are nearby are getting constantly jacked, easy to avoid getting targeted when nobody wants you.

Details separate people.

Something that really bothers me with this test is that there is no mention of false positives. So if you program your browser to block all websites, regardless of if they are malicious or not, you would get a perfect score.

3 hours ago, Subduck said:

Do these security advancements come with the Fall Creators update or is this just Edge in general?

Edge in general.

Actually, this article isn't really about Edge vs Chrome vs Firefox. It's "SmartScreen" vs "Safe Browsing".

3 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I thought IE was fundamentally different, because it still seems to have much better legacy support than Edge does for a very narrow and specific range of website applications (particularly, those that don't get updated a lot). I thought IE was kept around because of this and other functionality that would make Edge less secure and efficient. I could be wrong. Otherwise, why keep the two?

1) This is not a browser comparison.

2) Internet Explorer and Edge are very different in some areas, and very similar in some. The reason why they have kept both is just compatibility reasons.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Since there are two ways a computer can get infected - through tricking the user (the only thing most people seem to consider) and through direct attacks by exploiting a vulnerability that lets a piece of software execute and do things when it should not have been able to - safety obviously comes in two forms, one for each of these.  Does this test represent both, or just the former?  It feels to me like it may just be the former, and if so, we really need to see how these 3 stack up in the other kind of test.  Traditionally IE has been a complete laughing stock in this area so it would be interesting to see if that has also been fixed.

This was only a test of the former. For the latter, Edge is actually dead last (there are different ways of measure that of course, but the article brings up Pwn2Own so I'm using that).

So Edge/IE is the best at blocking malicious sites, but the worst when it comes to actually being secure.

Hooray Edge! on a scale of 1 to notgoingtouseedgestill i'm gonna go with notgoingtouseedgestill though.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Ublock Origin is far more effective than the browser itself at malware protection so doesn't really matter to me, also Chrome is trash to me anyway due to the large number of issues it had for me before I switched to opera so it and edge can go to hell.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 hours ago, MyName13 said:

For some reason edge is really slow for me while chrome works just fine :/

Its not you. Whether it was on my old laptop with a Phenom II N970+120MB/sec 7200RPM HDD, my newer laptop with the half as fast A8 4555M+SSD (god I hate that APU) or my desktop with an i7 4790K+SSD, Edge runs like shit. And with similar bugs when loading pages to IE.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 hours ago, Subduck said:

Do these security advancements come with the Fall Creators update or is this just Edge in general?

12 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I'd assume it works for all versions, since it uses microsoft's Smartscreen as a database of malicious content

It was done on the most recent public release, version 38.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Stop using firefox who is sponsoring antifa, and stop using chrome cause google is a sjw cesspool center, and stop using Edge supporting microsoft bloatsoftware model and data collection. Any other browser should be fine, but always check its background because it matters for you and everyone else. Opera/Vivaldi is good for now on desktop, you have a ton more options on mobile but its hard to say which is safe.

And what is taking Mozilla so long to roll out v57 on the mainstream browser? I think it is on the Aurora yet no? supposedly fastest of all 3 by a long mile but it has been a month and it still isn't out outside the beta's... I suppose I should start using Nightly again over the mainstream Firefox.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

45 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Stop using firefox who is sponsoring antifa, and stop using chrome cause google is a sjw cesspool center, and stop using Edge supporting microsoft bloatsoftware model and data collection. Any other browser should be fine, but always check its background because it matters for you and everyone else. Opera/Vivaldi is good for now on desktop, you have a ton more options on mobile but its hard to say which is safe.

opera owned by china

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Does anyone really care about browser benchmarks?

I just like my FF and don't want to switch.

31 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

And what is taking Mozilla so long to roll out v57 on the mainstream browser? I think it is on the Aurora yet no? supposedly fastest of all 3 by a long mile but it has been a month and it still isn't out outside the beta's... I suppose I should start using Nightly again over the mainstream Firefox.

Nightly is currently on 58 (it's pretty dadgum fanstatic too). Just giving a heads up just in case you weren't aware!

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

Nightly is currently on 58. Just giving a heads up just in case you weren't aware!

I know I have in installed... I just avoid using it.... but I am tired of waiting the 57 being roll out, I keep going to the about page and it keep saying 56.1 Your Firefox is up-to-date! yay! annoyes me xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I know I have in installed... I just avoid using it.... but I am tired of waiting the 57 being roll out, I keep going to the about page and it keep saying 56.1 Your Firefox is up-to-date! yay! annoyes me xD

If you don't mind me asking, why do you avoid using it? Lol I completely understand, it's like waiting for a present and knowing what it's going to be. Making you want it more.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Pretty much extensions, add ons, tampermonkey scripts and all that compatibility, if I patiently use the mainstream Firefox I have guaranteed compatibility with every thing I use, on Nightly though more often than not I end up with some broken features... it is so hard to decide on what to do /sob

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Pretty much extensions, add ons, tampermonkey scripts and all that compatibility, if I patiently use the mainstream Firefox I have guaranteed compatibility with every thing I use, on Nightly though more often than not I end up with some broken features... it is so hard to decide on what to do /sob

Ah, I see. That makes total sense.

Now if only Edge would stop loading webpages after I kill it's process through task manager. My life would certainly be easier if they did, lol. Now that I work in tech support, I've come across dozens of situations where a user has a pop-up, and we advise them to kill it through task manager, only for Edge to reload the page once you start it up again. I don't know if there is an option to disable this, but it should not be enabled by default. Would rather they have an opt-in reload like Chrome offers, where you can manually choose to restore the pages from an abrupt restart.

Until they fix that issue, Edge is going to be the bane of my existence when it comes to general TS. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

19 hours ago, Dujith said:

Reading this made me load up edge to see if i would use it again. But i was greeted with this screen, which made me go "nope"

God i hate these kind of "comparisons" 

edgewhythis.png

wait till the new Firefox is fully out and edge will be slower in the googles benchmark but I bet they will change the benchmark lol

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

10 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Firefox does release management.

First a feature gets introduced in Nightly.

Then after roughly 6 weeks it gets passed down to Aurora.

After another ~6 weeks it goes into Firefox Beta.

Once something has been in Firefox beta for about 6 weeks it goes into Firefox stable.

For major changes like the WebExtensions change developers also gets notified well in advance.

Rapid-release-5001.jpg.6462640dcffebe4eb8e44ca5da3a8213.jpg

Eh edge doesn't have extensions and the capability to block ads. (well at least when it came out)

Hate me for blocking ads but they are SO ANNOYING when I'm trying to download anything and there's like 10 "Download" buttons and 9 of them are ads. Not to mention ads that get in your way or slow the webpage down.

I unblock for sites I support and have a YouTube Red subscription so I don't get ads anyway on there.

I wouldn't use edge. Just get good antivirus and have common sense.

-Amy Miyake

On 10/18/2017 at 7:49 PM, Dujith said:

Reading this made me load up edge to see if i would use it again. But i was greeted with this screen, which made me go "nope"

God i hate these kind of "comparisons" 

edgewhythis.png

That's why  i love firefox!

It's free and open source. This is main reason, but remember when they posted comparison for their upcoming release quantum. They did not tell that it was better then anything else. In comparison there were times when firefox was faar back then chrome for example. Google and MS do not do this. They always tell this is faster then anything else and give benchmarks like this were their products are always superior.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

On 10/19/2017 at 3:23 PM, Princess Cadence said:

I use nightly on my arch linux. I like being on bleeding edge :D

I use many extensions for security

Disconnect, uBlock origins, Privacy Badger, Cookie autodelete, HTTPS everywhere, Decentraleyes aand noscript.

Only noscript does not have full support yet. But if you enable extensions.legacy.enabled in about:config then you will be able to use it. Although it will soon be updated for 58 version.

Firefox nightly is really fast. I do not feel like it is nightly. I did not have had a single crash since i installed it. I installed it about 2 weeks ago.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

On 10/19/2017 at 9:59 PM, KawaiiRaven said:

Eh edge doesn't have extensions and the capability to block ads. (well at least when it came out)

Hate me for blocking ads but they are SO ANNOYING when I'm trying to download anything and there's like 10 "Download" buttons and 9 of them are ads. Not to mention ads that get in your way or slow the webpage down.

I unblock for sites I support and have a YouTube Red subscription so I don't get ads anyway on there.

I wouldn't use edge. Just get good antivirus and have common sense.

Edge has had both for awhile actually. It has things like uBlock Origin, Tampermonkey, RES, bitwarden, BetterTTV, etc, etc..

It and Vivaldi are my daily drivers currently.

Edge, can stop malware better than everyone, doesn't have mute tab feature. That being said I love edges tab saving feature I actually use it a lot.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´