Upgrade Now or wait for Ice Lake?

My current rig is a Core i7-4770K overclocked to 4.6GHz and a 980 Ti. I mainly use it for gaming (Diablo 3, PUBG, CODWW2, Shadows of War) and Photoshop CC 2017 work. I am debating if I should wait for Ice Lake and the GTX 2080 to come out or should I go with Coffee Lake and 1080 now? My am interested in getting 960 EVO m.2 drive as I know this should boost performance over my current 850 EVO SSD.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, McHudde said:

My current rig is a Core i7-4770K overclocked to 4.6GHz and a 980 Ti. I mainly use it for gaming (Diablo 3, PUBG, CODWW2, Shadows of War) and Photoshop CC 2017 work. I am debating if I should wait for Ice Lake and the GTX 2080 to come out or should I go with Coffee Lake and 1080 now? My am interested in getting 960 EVO m.2 drive as I know this should boost performance over my current 850 EVO SSD.

Thoughts?

keep it. upgrade isnt worth it right now.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

with a 4770k and a 980ti i wouldnt upgrade anything at all

keep ur money wait a few years and upgrade then

u could get a 1070gtx but then again, why would u u have a 980ti just oc that thing and the 4770k and be happy with what u got.

(◑‿◐)

8 minutes ago, McHudde said:

Thoughts?

Yea, don't upgrade. 

yet....

11 minutes ago, McHudde said:

Thoughts?

any of these upgrades are worth it. The 960 evo has no performance boost over your 850 evo and ur 4770k and 980ti are good for atleast coffee lake. And maybe decent even then.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

If you want an NVMe drive add an adapter card like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1Z5-0018-00020&cm_re=m2_pcie_NVMe_adapter-_-1Z5-0018-00020-_-Product to your existing system.

While NVMe M.2 drives have much higher performance than SATA III drives, it is generally not that noticeable in general desktop use. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 minutes ago, brob said:

If you want an NVMe drive add an adapter card like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1Z5-0018-00020&cm_re=m2_pcie_NVMe_adapter-_-1Z5-0018-00020-_-Product to your existing system.

While NVMe M.2 drives have much higher performance than SATA III drives, it is generally not that noticeable in general desktop use. 

I was looking at the adapter and was thinking about that. For my motherboard Z87 Maximus VI Gene in order to get it to be a boot drive I would have install a modded BIOS. I might just put a couple of games and my Adobe Photoshop on it.

The older haswell i7s are still good CPUs for gaming in todays standards and is a very capable and powerful processor. 980ti is fine for gaming. So, if your only gaming and doing some light photoshop work, then I see no need to upgrade since you will have to invest in a new CPU+motherboard+RAM+GPU which significantly raises the cost, when you could upgrade to the 1080 since your current hardware is very capable and powerful. An overclocked 908ti will easily outperform a 1070, so considering that they go for around $300 and 1070s are around $400, your getting a good amount of performance for your money from your current GPU. Although, stockspeeds are vice versa, 1070 beats the 980ti at stock speeds.

As @brob mentioned, just get a PCIe 1x adapter and add in an SSD to your existing PC. Normal Sata drives and NVMe drives wont give you a performance boost in general use cases, NVMe gives out great performance figures when it comes to transfering large amounts of data in terms of the read and write speeds.

4 minutes ago, McHudde said:

I was looking at the adapter and was thinking about that. For my motherboard Z87 Maximus VI Gene in order to get it to be a boot drive I would have install a modded BIOS. I might just put a couple of games and my Adobe Photoshop on it.

The Windows swap file could be hosted on the drive as could Photoshop scratch. Should make things run a little more smoothly.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.