Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

USB 3.1 type c to DVI-D for 144hz?

SLaas

Is it possible to use 144hz with USB 3.1 Type to DVI-D?

USB 3.1 is dumb data transfer, 5 gbps.  USB 3.1 gen 2 is 10 gbps.

Unless it's  a special kind of USB 3.1 connector (like the Thunderbolt kind, which reuses the USB 3 wires to route pci-e lanes to devices) , it will be a plain boring USB 3 connector, with maximum 10 gbps transfer (for  3.1 gen 2) and maximum power budget of 5v at 0.9A = ~ 4.5w

Since you can't be bothered to be CLEAR in what you're asking, I have to go with the most  common scenario, where I assume you mean plain usb 3.1 when you say that in your sentence.

Whatever "usb video card" you plug in that usb port will output probably up to 1920 x 1200 60 Hz and will use A LOT of CPU to transfer data into the usb device.

For 144 Hz, you'll need DVI Dual Link ... i'm not aware of ANY passive HDMI to DVI adapters that are dual link, all are single link which means maximum 1920x1200 60 Hz or maybe something higher but at 30 Hz (for example I think 4K is possible but at 17 Hz)

I sincerely doubt you'd find a usb video card that outputs directly DVI "Dual Link" , or even DVI Single Link ... and like I explained in the paragraph above hdmi to dvi would result in dvi single link.

As for output to displayport, yeah, you can use cheap HDMI to DisplayPort adapters but the "usb video card" would still output only up to 60 Hz.

And... even if you do manage to find one that can do more than 60 Hz, what are you gonna do with that... you're not gonna play games on it.  It's a card with a maximum budget of 4.5 watts, and even a GT 1030 has 20-25 watts to play with.

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

USB-C can send video, no?

type C connector can send video IF (and only IF) the device has video wired to the connector. 

but you just said "usb 3.1" - that only defined the transfer protocol used, not the physical connector.

a type C connector can also be used for 2.0 and usb 3.1 does not HAVE to use type C connector

usb-type-c.png

so, again:

usb 3.1 (the transfer protocol) can NOT carry video signals

type C (the connector) CAN carry video signals but that depends on the device.

23 minutes ago, mariushm said:

NO.

17 minutes ago, mariushm said:

NO.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Since you can't be bothered to be CLEAR in what you're asking

Dude, stop being such a dick.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440