Help with choosing components for new PC

somik

I am looking to upgrade my current PC.

My current system is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H77M-D3H

CPU: Intel i5 3750

RAM: Corsair PC3-10700H 8GB (2x4GB) + G.Skill Ripjaws PC3-12800 8GB (2x4GB)

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290X

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 3TB

Case: Coolermaster CM 431+

PSU: Coolermaster V750

My questions:

1. I want to change the Motherboard, CPU and RAM while keeping the rest of the system same. Is it possible?

2. If I want to upgrade, I understand choosing a i7 is better then i5. Even if I don't intent to do any overclocking, should I still need to go for a non "k" i7 instead of non "k" i5?

3. Should I go for 7th or 8th generation CPU?

4. Any recommendations/tips on choosing motherboards? My options are in page 1 of "Best Bargain Computers.pdf" and page 4 of "Cybermind Computer House - 17 Oct 2017.pdf" (attached to this post).

5. Any recommendations on choosing RAM? Does the metal heat sink on the RAM really do anything much?

6. Is there any compatibility/cabling/outlet issues between the new motherboard and older power supplies (like my one)?

PS. No, I don't care about fan noise or RGBs.

Best Bargain Computers - 16 Oct 2017.pdf

Cybermind Computer House - 17 Oct 2017.pdf

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 6C 3.6 GHz | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard | RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB | CASE: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB | PSU: CoolerMaster V750 | SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda  3 TB 7200rpm |  Sound Card: (pending)  | Speaker: Logitech Z623

1. Yes.

2. The i7-8700K is indeed better than the i5-8600K.

3. 8th. No point in investing in a "outdated" platform unless the price gap is enormous.

4. You want a motherboard with a good heatsink and good VRM config. The "best" one is probably the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7, followed by the ASRock Taichi and ASUS Maximus X Hero. But if you don't have that much cash to spend, then something like the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5, ASUS PRIME Z370-A or the MSI Gaming PRO Carbon is fine.

5. Yes, the heatsink dissipates heat. Plus, it looks nice. I normally go for some of G.Skill's RipJaws V and Trident Zs or Corsair's Vengeance sticks. Fast memory is basically a must.

6. No, there shouldn't be.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1. yes but reinstall windows is needed.

2. you can get a K model if you buy a CPU cooler, you dont have to overclock and it will be faster.

3. 8th

4. if you are not overclocking, its not as important, go for any features you need.

5. dont get anything too slow in mhz, heatsink doesnt do much.

6. nope

1. If your getting an 7th or 8th gen Intel CPU, you HAVE to buy new motherboard and RAM (DDR4)
  2. The "k" verson performs better, even though you're not going to overclock. "k" version don't come with a cooler, so you need to buy your own.
  3. Depends on how enthusiast you are. ;)
  4. The 7th and 8th gen Intel CPU needs it's own chipset. If your thinking of, for example i7 7700k, i would recommend a z270 chipset.
  5. DDR4 from a good brand.
  6. It should all be standardized. Be carefull to pick an motherboard that fits in your case.

If you see a good deal on a 4770/4790k that would be a decent upgrade for you and hold you off for a while (probably $150-200 USD would be the good deal range)

if not, go i5 8400 once the stock issues get fixed if you can wait until next year, till the b360 chipset comes, they should have good budget motherboards around that aren't z370