Asus - Intel Z270 could be compatible with Coffee lake

It’s not compatible due to the extra grounds and power pins that are required for Coffee lake, but aren’t wired in with Z270/Z170 boards. If a manufacturer were to come out with a sticker to apply to the bottom of a coffee lake CPU to essentially split the power and ground pins from the exist ones into the new pins, then such a CPU should work on those boards. However, Intel would not allow this. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Sure Intel could make CPU that would fir on Z270 motherboard.

But for some reason they want you to buy whole new platform.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

And I know this is due to Intel philosophy to have only 2 gen CPU's on a platform, but as things is going for Intel right now, this is a generally idiotic, stupid thing to do to make back crucial points from the Dragon of AMD.

Intel should have thought this a bit further in the distance, and perhaps make 2 versions of the CPU, one "old" compatible and one new, where, of course some of the futures will not work on the older motherboards, or perhaps, someone should take a challenge and create an adapter-board to have between cpu and motherboard :P

I am sure I read in the old days where you could get adapter block/boards for newer CPUs to work on older boards....