Xeon X5650, X5660, X5670

Vakke

Hello!

Does anybody here have any expertise on these old but golden Xeons? I'm wondering on buying one and the price difference is not that big. Are the higher Xeons better overclockers or is it always just a lucky coincidencs if I can get the high overclocking one?

My MOBO is the Gigabyte GA-EX-UD5 rev 1.0 which officially doesn't support any of the Xeons, but I've seen many youtube videos whit the excat board and revision so I guess they just haven't updated the page afterwards.

I use two x5679's

only buy these cpu's if you plan on running two of them otherwise don't bother.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

I use two x5679's

only buy these cpu's if you plan on running two of them otherwise don't bother.

My plan is just to extend the lifespan of my old LGA1366 platform as I'm waiting the Zen+ lineup. Didn't mention that the main use case will just be gaming and normal applications so I'm not intending any real workstation stuff. Would it be good for that? My old i7 950 overclocks just to 3.8GHz so I think I'd get a bit boost!

Just now, Vakke said:

My old i7 950 overclocks just to 3.8GHz so I think I'd get a bit boost!

your 950 will hold you over just fine until then

no sense wasting money when you'll just be farther away from upgrading your whole platform. again if you aren't going to run more than one of them then dont bother.

16 minutes ago, emosun said:

your 950 will hold you over just fine until then

no sense wasting money when you'll just be farther away from upgrading your whole platform. again if you aren't going to run more than one of them then dont bother.

This is the correct answer

For $20 you can get a 6c/12t 5650 and OC it to 4Ghz. WHy wouldn't you do that?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3 hours ago, asand1 said:

For $20 you can get a 6c/12t 5650 and OC it to 4Ghz. WHy wouldn't you do that?

That is what I'm thinking also :D Seems to me that it is a crazy bargain atm and when I retire my system I can run the hexa core at a lower clock and cooler if I decide to switch it to HTPC

I paid $18 on ebay for an x5650, OC at 5ghz. Had it running for about a year, max temps were 80ish C, voltage was somewhere around 1.38, sucks my 8 year old motherboard decided to give out but for the time it was running it was great, definitely an upgrade over the i7 920 i had before.