Swapped Modem and Router and now security system is jacked

minimalist

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have a crazy neighbor and with the cameras down it's a little disconcerting. 

So I bought a new router(google wifi) and modem(Netgear docsis 3.1) and spoke with the security company and this is what they said, only I know nothing about this stuff:

If you can't get into the router using 192.168.0.1 then the Default Gateway of the router is probably something other than 192.168.0.1. You can try 192.168.1.1

In order to view your cameras you will need to do the following:

1) Change the default gateway on your router to: 192.168.0.1
2) Set up port forwarding - Ports 8080, 8000, 8554 need to be forwarded to the IP address of the DVR which is 192.168.0.92

Once that is done you should be able to view your cameras

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

So long as it's 172.16.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x it's completely fine and port numbers can be shared as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

16 minutes ago, Lurick said:

So long as it's 172.16.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x it's completely fine and port numbers can be shared as well.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy13 said:

Each IP camera needs to have the gateway setup to the IP of the router.

This should be a local IP address btw (ie starting with 10.x.x.x 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x) These are fine to share with anyone.

The one you want to keep a secret is your Public IP address, this is the IP of your router from the internet side.

Updated it.  I have no idea how to do this and tried using the Google WiFi app but just don't see it. 

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Just now, minimalist said:

Updated it.  I have no idea how to do this and tried using the Google WiFi app but just don't see it. 

What happens if you browse to 192.168.1.1?

Are you able to connect to the internet via a PC?

If you do to to Start > Run > CMD > ipconfig /all

I'm wondering if it's something else (if 192.168.1.1 doesn't work)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, minimalist said:

2) Set up port forwarding - Ports 8080, 8000, 8554 need to be forwarded to the IP address of the DVR which is 192.168.0.92

You need to find out what your new subnet is - if it isn't 192.168.0.0/24 (192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255) then the DVR's IP address will need to be updated to match the new subnet, and then the port forwards would have to go to whatever the new IP for the DVR is.

To set up port forwarding on Google Wifi, see this: https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6274503?hl=en

BTW, your public IP may have changed also, and the security company may need to update their side with the new public IP.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

24 minutes ago, minimalist said:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have a crazy neighbor and with the cameras down it's a little disconcerting. 

So I bought a new router(google wifi) and modem(Netgear docsis 3.1) and spoke with the security company and this is what they said, only I know nothing about this stuff:

If you can't get into the router using xxxxxxx then the Default Gateway of the router is probably something other than xxxxxxx. You can try Xxxxxxxx
In order to view your cameras you will need to do the following:
1) Change the default gateway on your router to: xxxxxxx
2) Set up port forwarding - Ports xxxx, xxxx, xxxx need to be forwarded to the IP address of the DVR which is xxxxxxxx

I changed the IP addresses because I have no idea if that should be something you share. That's what the xxxxxxx are.  The 4 are the port numbers. 

Can you please use something like Gliffy to create a network diagram so we know how your network is setup. Right now I do not understand how your setup is configured. Are the cameras connected to the modem or router? Is the router DMZ'd on your modem, setup using IP passthrough, or is the modem bridged?

Also note that the Google WiFi router can ONLY be controlled via the App - there is no way to login via an IP, at least not according to their support documents. This is why I refuse to purchase any Google Smart Device or Apple Time Capsule routers. They are NOT meant to be used in any kind of advanced configuration because IT professionals cannot manage them as easily.

I'm willing to bet the Google WiFi device is trying to figure out what LAN IP it should assign itself since your modem probably isn't in bridge mode. 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just an update on this for OP.

Depending on how things are setup, you might be screwed

Google Wifi will NOT let you change the address range, you'll either have to get the company to change the addresses of all the cameras and the DVR if they are hard coded, or you'll need to use the 192.168.86.92 address to access the DVR, and try to figure out the addresses of each camera manually and add them to the DVR.

(I still have no clue why they would use some off the wall address range)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

my guess is the camera's have the IP adresses hard coded in them or they are set in software but you can't change them. so if I understand the post above me right you are royaly screwed ;).
The camera's connect wirelesly right?

6 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

my guess is the camera's have the IP adresses hard coded in them or they are set in software but you can't change them. so if I understand the post above me right you are royaly screwed ;).
The camera's connect wirelesly right?

No they are hard wired into the back of the DVR

so the cameras themselves aren't IP-based, they use normal video cable connections like composite, S-Video, Component, or HDMI?

and the dvr is also connected wired? or you can wire it?
where does the wireless part comes?
Like others said please provide a network diagram of your setup.

Sorry guys I'm not home and have someone providing some of this to me.  I'm not sure what the wires are.  

The cameras are hard wired into the DVR ( https://imgur.com/a/L5Ylp ) and the DVR I believe has an ethernet cable which ran into the back of our old modem/router.  Now I have it running into the Google WiFi Router.

1 minute ago, minimalist said:

Sorry guys I'm not home and have someone providing some of this to me.  I'm not sure what the wires are.  

The cameras are hard wired into the DVR ( https://imgur.com/a/L5Ylp ) and the DVR I believe has an ethernet cable which ran into the back of our old modem/router.  Now I have it running into the Google WiFi Router.

If you, or the person at your home, can try to browse to 192.168.86.92 or 192.168.85.92, see if the DVR pops up.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you, or the person at your home, can try to browse to 192.168.86.92 or 192.168.85.92, see if the DVR pops up.

How?  This is literally something I know 0 about 

4 minutes ago, minimalist said:

if you are back home you can try running the cable direction into your laptop.
set your own ip to something in the 192.168.0.0/24 range (but not 92) and set your subnetmask to 255.255.255.0
the default gateway etc is not important.
make sure your wifi is disconnected so it wont interfere and try browsing to 192.168.0.92 it should give you the camera system. now look in the camera system if it gives you the option somewhere to change the ip address.

How?  This is literally something I know 0 about 

In the browser bar, where you would type www.google.com, just put in the IP address instead.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

In the browser bar, where you would type www.google.com, just put in the IP address instead.

we are assuming here you normally interact with your camera system in this way. if there is another way you interact with the camera system normally please specify

7 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

we are assuming here you normally interact with your camera system in this way. if there is another way you interact with the camera system normally please specify

This is correct.  It pops up with a login when we go there.  

12 minutes ago, Lurick said:

They just ran out.  I'm having them check as soon as they get back I'll report back. 

10 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

set your own ip to something in the 192.168.0.0/24 range (but not 92) and set your subnetmask to 255.255.255.0
make sure your wifi is disconnected so it wont interfere and try browsing to 192.168.0.92 it should give you the camera system. now look in the camera system if it gives you the option somewhere to change the ip address.

This is definitely something I'd have to do myself when I get home

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Nothing pops up when browsing to either

15 minutes ago, minimalist said:

Nothing pops up when browsing to either

My guess is that the DVR is statically set to the IP 192.168.0.92, and you will have to arrange a means of logging into it and changing it. You could either set a static IP on a computer directly connected to it, or you could reattach the DVR and a computer to the old router (don't worry about reconnecting the router to the internet) and then you would be able to access it on the old IP. If the IP address of the DVR can only be changed by the security company, then you will have to reconnect the old router (and possibly modem) to the internet, and then they can update it to the new subnet that the Google Wifi uses.

9 minutes ago, brwainer said:

My guess is that the DVR is statically set to the IP 192.168.0.92, and you will have to arrange a means of logging into it and changing it. You could either set a static IP on a computer directly connected to it, or you could reattach the DVR and a computer to the old router (don't worry about reconnecting the router to the internet) and then you would be able to access it on the old IP. If the IP address of the DVR can only be changed by the security company, then you will have to reconnect the old router (and possibly modem) to the internet, and then they can update it to the new subnet that the Google Wifi uses.

What if I have no way of getting that modem?  It's been returned to my isp

6 minutes ago, minimalist said:

What if I have no way of getting that modem?  It's been returned to my isp

Then hopefully, if this is needed, the old router can get online with the new modem.

3 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Then hopefully, if this is needed, the old router can get online with the new modem.

It was a 2 in 1 that was being rented so it was both a modem and router that was returned. 

14 hours ago, Levisallanon said:

Did you try this already?