Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What voltage would you recommend for 8700k at 4.5GHz?

I recently bought this configuration:

• Define Mini C
  • Silent Wings 3: rear one 120mm PWM, front two 140mm PWM
  • motherboard MSI Z370M gaming PRO AC mATX
  • G.SKILL 16GB Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz CL16 kit.F4-3200C16D-16GTZB
  • NOCTUA NH-D15S
  • BE QUIET! Straight Power 10 600W CM (gold)

I was told that this offers the best cooling and silence, and that the Silent Wings 3 fans are virtually inaudible at highest speed as well as the PSU.
So, I think that is a solid base for overclocking, however, I would still overclock it to only 4.5GHz, to prolong the longevity of the components. I would also turn off the "multi-core enhancement" boost.

I've never overclocked a CPU before, so I would appreciate your help.

voltage depends on the cpu itself, every 8700k needs a different voltage to hit a certain speed. you really need to try it yourself

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

3 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

voltage depends on the cpu itself, every 8700k needs a different cpu to hit a certain speed. you really need to try it yourself

every cpu needs a different cpu??

Overclocking doesn't kill cpus . Overvolting and heat does . At a given voltage , the cpu will have the same longevity regardless of clocks , so as long as you stay within comfortable voltages and temperatures , you won't be degrading your cpu .

I'd stay withing 1.4V .

AMD Ryzen 7 3.8ghz at 1.3V Corsair vengeance LPX 8GB 2800mhz @ 3200mhz CAS 16 + 2*4GB micron ballistics @ 3200mhz cas 16 ;Gigabyte ga-ab350-Gaming 3; cooler master nepton 240M ; CF r9 290x tri x + r9 290 tri x ; CX750M PSU ; SPEC 03 case with 9 120mm fans ; windows 10 64 bit 

2 minutes ago, ColdCrystal said:

every cpu needs a different cpu??

sorry, i edited it, the last cpu was meant to be the word 'voltage'

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

12 minutes ago, ColdCrystal said:

Snip

If you only wish to overclock it to 4.5GHz there is almost no point at all in overclocking since turbo boost/multi-core enhancement is pretty much going to do that for you already on stock settings.

Don't be afraid of overclocking. your CPU will still be alive and well when you feel it has become obsolete and old. With that setup you should very easily be able to attain a 4.8GHz overclock without any worries about thermals or longevity. I would say 5GHz is likely also doable with minimal issues, but if you're the kind of person who is super paranoid about overclocking then perhaps you won't want to push your CPU at all due to your own emotional trauma haha

But seriously. watch some video guides on overclocking CPU's. Its super easy and safe if you're not a moron about it.

mine is 5ghz @ 1.4v, bios do all the work btw, just let everything on auto and put 45 in multiplier

14 minutes ago, pat182 said:

mine is 5ghz @ 1.4v, bios do all the work btw, just let everything on auto and put 45 in multiplier

45 for 4.5 GHz?

if the auto sets it to 1.4v, I think that would be an overkill for a 4.5GHz, it should be below 1.3v.