Most straightforward way to ripp Blurays

IAmAndre

14 hours ago, ono said:

This thread takes me back. I used to make BD rips with MakeMKV and Handbrake. But streaming/download services are available to me so I haven't done it in a long time. Sounds like that solution has survived all these years :)

I'm curious how long I can encode a rip now that I have Ryzen 1700. There's some BDs I don't have a digital copy for.

Thats because Netflix quality is still not as good as Blu ray quality. And if you want the best experience, its still going to come from a blu ray disk. Plus many of us have data caps and doing what @AshleyAshes said a 40tb server with all your media can help with a great quality stream without killing your bandwidth cap. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Thats because Netflix quality is still not as good as Blu ray quality. And if you want the best experience, its still going to come from a blu ray disk. Plus many of us have data caps and doing what @AshleyAshes said a 40tb server with all your media can help with a great quality stream without killing your bandwidth cap. 

Great it's working for you guys. I know BD and UHD BD quality is better than streams. That's why I still buy (UHD) BDs. At least for movies I care about the quality for, otherwise I'd just buy a UV code or whatever for cheap. For watching on my phone, official digital copy is good enough quality for me.

Well, for picture quality anyway. At most I only can get better headphones since neighbors will complain (I have a history with this...) for sure if I get Dolby Atmos system. So I don't get to really enjoy the sound quality of BDs :(

Maintaining a 40 TB server sounds pricey. I think I have half that for storage overall. Not sure how much I actually use for my Plex.

Data caps... I've yet to discover my home ISP's. I've hit my phone's data plan a couple times though back when it was lower, like 4 GB for the whole family or something... Ouch.

1 hour ago, ono said:

Maintaining a 40 TB server sounds pricey. I think I have half that for storage overall. Not sure how much I actually use for my Plex.

I totally agree, and I don't know many people willing to spend that much money just for watching movies. I think streaming services are fine for 95% people, but geographic limitations really suck. In my country, Netflix is still showing on its first page movies like Jumper...

2 hours ago, ono said:

Great it's working for you guys. I know BD and UHD BD quality is better than streams. That's why I still buy (UHD) BDs. At least for movies I care about the quality for, otherwise I'd just buy a UV code or whatever for cheap. For watching on my phone, official digital copy is good enough quality for me.

Well, for picture quality anyway. At most I only can get better headphones since neighbors will complain (I have a history with this...) for sure if I get Dolby Atmos system. So I don't get to really enjoy the sound quality of BDs :(

Data caps... I've yet to discover my home ISP's. I've hit my phone's data plan a couple times though back when it was lower, like 4 GB for the whole family or something... Ouch.

40TB is a little extreme. But Ive seen setups at DSLreports.com that leads me to believe some people download the internet and have it archived. But I just run a plex server on my gaming rig with a few movies digitized. I would like to get a NAS that can run Plex, but in my current situation its just not possible. 

Not all ISPs have caps though. Charter is not allowed due to FCC restrictions for 6 years due to its merger. WOW still is cap free but they have discussed data caps possibly in the future. Even though Comcast has caps they dont enforce them in all areas. Just areas they have little to no competition in. 

3 hours ago, ono said:

It started as a single 2TB drive and simply grew over the last 7 years.  So it's not simply a 40TB build, it's a build that gets additional drives and such over time.  Funny, I thought it was a big deal when I had to be the second 2TB drive but now it's well surpassed that. :P

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

It started as a single 2TB drive and simply grew over the last 7 years.  So it's not simply a 40TB build, it's a build that gets additional drives and such over time.  Funny, I thought it was a big deal when I had to be the second 2TB drive but now it's well surpassed that. :P

Are you running like a NAS that has plex support or do you actually have a server? 

57 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Are you running like a NAS that has plex support or do you actually have a server? 

11 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Thats way more involved than I would get. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Thats way more involved than I would get. 

It's not for everyone.  In my case, first, it's kinda what i've always done.  It's an evolution from a collection of SMB shares on my PC that were read by an actual classic Xbox running XBMC.  It's just the extreme end of that.  In that regard, it's also a hobby.  It's a 'thing' I maintain.  And rather than streaming which offers you 'everything', the server only has stuff that I want to watch on it.  That added with a Kodi addon that generates random playlists of 'Random, but next to watch episodes' of any given series, it basically become my perfect TV channel.  I just press go, and I'm presented with a random selection of episode, but any given episode is the next to watch in that particular series, so no missing eps or reruns.