CPU overclocks and how they work (new at this)

So even when i got the 2500k i never really manually overclocked my CPU. But now that i will be upgrading real soon to Ryzen etc i kinda of a few questions about how CPU's overclock.

1. Intel and AMD have those like turbo boost clocks when a cpu core is under load right? So that means say if you were playing a game or video processing how many cores actually go higher? I would like an answer for both if they differ? I heard Ryzen only boosts up 1 core.

2. Manual overclocking is something i haven't done. Does OC'ing immediately void warranty? If so why if they specifically design cpus like the 8700k to overclock?

3. I have no doubt that manual overclocking is likely better than turbo boost options but how much better would it be in all areas (power, boost etc) Do the options like urbo boost just go optimal instead of as far as it can really go?

4. This is something after watching one of Jayztwocents videos when he redid the 8700k vs the 1700x but when Linus and the rest of the reviewers, review cpus and show stock CPU benchmarks do they turn off things like Turbo boost?

8 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

So even when i got the 2500k i never really manually overclocked my CPU. But now that i will be upgrading real soon to Ryzen etc i kinda of a few questions about how CPU's overclock.

1. Intel and AMD have those like turbo boost clocks when a cpu core is under load right? So that means say if you were playing a game or video processing how many cores actually go higher? I would like an answer for both if they differ? I heard Ryzen only boosts up 1 core.

2. Manual overclocking is something i haven't done. Does OC'ing immediately void warranty? If so why if they specifically design cpus like the 8700k to overclock?

3. I have no doubt that manual overclocking is likely better than turbo boost options but how much better would it be in all areas (power, boost etc) Do the options like urbo boost just go optimal instead of as far as it can really go?

4. This is something after watching one of Jayztwocents videos when he redid the 8700k vs the 1700x but when Linus and the rest of the reviewers, review cpus and show stock CPU benchmarks do they turn off things like Turbo boost?

1. They both have "turbo" features, with different names. Simply put, Intel have different speeds for different amount of cores in use. They have a 1-core very high frequency mode, 2-cores on the newest models, and all-cores. These are automatically changed by the system without your need. AMD do something like that with Ryzen, with the "XFR" technology. The X models have a slightly larger (usually +100/+200Mhz) range of auto-oc for one or two cores in use. Idle frequency are higher on AMD while Intel is much more conservative if you PC is in a idle or idle-like state.

2. Any CPU overclock, and any overclock in general, will immediately void your warranty (if it can be proved). "Designed for overclockers" and other things like these are only marketing BS, because they will still void your warranty whatever. With Ryzen in particular however, it's so easy to overclock that is pretty much a 99% dummy-safe overclocking experience.

3. Manual is much better than auto. Auto is super conservative and does not take into account many things. A manual oc allows you for lower temps/power for the very same speeds or higher speeds with higher power requirements.

4. Watch MCE explanation by Jayztwocents to better understand why that happened. TL;DR, some motherboerclock allows for the same clock speed with lower power consumption and temperatures, lower voltages, or higher speeds with lower-than-auto (or same-as-auto) of these two. ard have Multi Core Enhancement technology disabled by default, which caps 8700K to 4,3GHz instead of 4,7GHz under load, preventing most of the "turbo" automatic margin. Very lower scores than expected are probably due to firmware bugs or very bad quality silicons.

4 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

1. They both have "turbo" features, with different names. Simply put, Intel have different speeds for different amount of cores in use. They have a 1-core very high frequency mode, 2-cores on the newest models, and all-cores. These are automatically changed by the system without your need. AMD do something like that with Ryzen, with the "XFR" technology. The X models have a slightly larger (usually +100/+200Mhz) range of auto-oc for one or two cores in use. Idle frequency are higher on AMD while Intel is much more conservative if you PC is in a idle or idle-like state.

2. Any CPU overclock, and any overclock in general, will immediately void your warranty (if it can be proved). "Designed for overclockers" and other things like these are only marketing BS, because they will still void your warranty whatever. With Ryzen in particular however, it's so easy to overclock that is pretty much a 99% dummy-safe overclocking experience.

3. Manual is much better than auto. Auto is super conservative and does not take into account many things. A manual oc allows you for lower temps/power for the very same speeds or higher speeds with higher power requirements.

4. Watch MCE explanation by Jayztwocents to better understand why that happened. TL;DR, some motherboerclock allows for the same clock speed with lower power consumption and temperatures, lower voltages, or higher speeds with lower-than-auto (or same-as-auto) of these two. ard have Multi Core Enhancement technology disabled by default, which caps 8700K to 4,3GHz instead of 4,7GHz under load, preventing most of the "turbo" automatic margin. Very lower scores than expected are probably due to firmware bugs or very bad quality silicons.

Thanks for the reply! So yeah most of those pretty much answer my question there, is RAM the same? Manual overclocking better than XMP or whatever AMD uses?

Uh just with question 4 too i dont think part of the question was answered. I understand ASUS had that MCE thing and that was the point of the video but what about turbo clock/XFR and such. Are they disabled for stock cpu speed reviews or can you not do that?

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

In your CPU manual, it tells you what will void the warranty/

Noted :)

7 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

Thanks for the reply! So yeah most of those pretty much answer my question there, is RAM the same? Manual overclocking better than XMP or whatever AMD uses?

Uh just with question 4 too i dont think part of the question was answered. I understand ASUS had that MCE thing and that was the point of the video but what about turbo clock/XFR and such. Are they disabled for stock cpu speed reviews or can you not do that?

Noted :)

Memory is often a pain to overclock. With Intel, platform stability is just great when talking about RAM, so it's much easier to overclock the hell out of it. XMP is an auto-tuning that works just perfectly, while AMD has none at the moment. It's all manual.

4. Turbo is never disabled by default in any case. What can happen is that is MCE is disabled, the "max speed" of your turbo will be lowered to another level. Is it supposed to be on by default or off by default? That nobody can answer except Intel. But since max turbo speed is covered by warranty, I think it is meant to be enabled by default.

Very lower scores (1200 vs 1400/1500) by some reviewers were probably because of firmware bugs or silicon infamous quality.

28 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

1. Depends on your thermals as well as the specific cpu at hand. Usually cpus have multiple different turbo boost levels. On the 8700k for example, 4.3 ghz is the max turbo that all 6 cores can reach, but smaller amount of cores can go higher (max boost for a single core is 4.7 ghz, I believe for 5 cores it is 4.4 ghz)

2. OCing does void your warranty. They make CPUs that can OC in order to make more money and potentially grab those people willing to void their warranty to OC for higher performance.

3. manual is almost always better than turbo. Turbo just has a specific set frequency that is its max frequency and depending on the thermals it may or may not go that high. Usually voltages used are also higher than needed.

4. Turbo boost is always on, it's just the multi core turbo (basically modifying it so that the max single core turbo becomes the max all core turbo) that has been controversial.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

11 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Memory is often a pain to overclock. With Intel, platform stability is just great when talking about RAM, so it's much easier to overclock the hell out of it. XMP is an auto-tuning that works just perfectly, while AMD has none at the moment. It's all manual.

4. Turbo is never disabled by default in any case. What can happen is that is MCE is disabled, the "max speed" of your turbo will be lowered to another level. Is it supposed to be on by default or off by default? That nobody can answer except Intel. But since max turbo speed is covered by warranty, I think it is meant to be enabled by default.

Very lower scores (1200 vs 1400/1500) by some reviewers were probably because of firmware bugs or silicon infamous quality.

Right pretty much answers all my initial questions, that being said when you said a single core can go higher than say 2 cores i would assume thats a bios option or is that also a thing enabled by default? And i thought RAM does work with XMP on Ryzen boards (or whatever their equivalent is). I know that they are still working on BIOS updates and by the time i build mine hope most of them will be ironed out.

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

4. Turbo boost is always on, it's just the multi core turbo (basically modifying it so that the max single core turbo becomes the max all core turbo) that has been controversial.

Controversial as in it doesn't always reach the speeds?

54 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

Controversial as in it doesn't always reach the speeds?

Na, I was referring to the big controversy that's going on right now about multi core turbo being enabled on some boards but not all that's resulting in different benchmark numbers which all the techtubers are blowing up about :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Na, I was referring to the big controversy that's going on right now about multi core turbo being enabled on some boards but not all that's resulting in different benchmark numbers which all the techtubers are blowing up about :P 

Ah :)

• 1 month later...

So it's been a while since i posted back here but i had a question regarding the cooling. I'm thinking of also when i build this thing getting an AIO cooler. I know with the radiator you gotta take your case size into account but i was wondering about maintenance itself, like do you ever have to replace the liquid in it. And another thing was i know theres some debate to a push or pull config but are there any diagrams in this kind of in action? Like with a push config do i want the fans closer to the outside of the case or the inside of the case?