is 850 watts safe for 1080ti?

FoxfireAhri

people have said that the 750 watts for a 1080 ti is more than enough, but I see a 850 G3 PSU thats on sale and that is way cheaper than the 750 G3 for EVGA.

I want to get the 850 for what the price is worth, will there be anything bad to my computer if I only have my PSU hooked up with my Ryzen 1700x and 1080 ti? Or does it REALLY need to be SLI?

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

need to be SLI? i don't know what you re talking about.

you could use this: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

it will give you a rough indication of how many watts you need.

its best to buy a PSU with the wattage you have only using 60% of it to be more efficient, buying a 850watt psu with a 1080 ti will make it a 55% PSU wattage use, compared to the 750, which is slightly over 60%

2 minutes ago, FoxfireAhri said:

its best to buy a PSU with the wattage you have only using 60% of it to be more efficient, buying a 850watt psu with a 1080 ti will make it a 55% PSU wattage use, compared to the 750, which is slightly over 60%

doesnt matter. you could have a 20000000w PSU and it will not do any damage

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

More watts is not dangerous.

More watts just means your power supply is capable of delivering more power than you need.

Your system power will always be the same (i.e. yours will probably be about 350-400W.)

You need your power supply to be able to deliver at least as much power as your system consumes.

What people are telling you is that 850W is enough to power 2 1080ti's.

If I were you, I'd be buying a high quality 500-600W supply.

850W is more than you will use, and your power supply will not be running at it's highest efficiency if it's capable of much more power than you're using.

A HIGHER RATED POWER SUPPLY WILL NOT DELIVER MORE POWER TO YOUR SYSTEM, IT IS JUST CAPABLE OF DELIVERING MORE POWER.

Hope this helps :)

You can literally never have too many watts. The worst that happens is you pay more for more watts (in most cases)

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

It makes no sense to spend more for a 750w model if the 850w model is on sale for less. PSUs are most efficient around half load and even if you trade off some efficiency, the real world impact on your power bill is pennies. 

On the upside, you'll be working the 850w unit less and as a result have a quiet experience. It never hurts to get a higher unit off a sale, it's why I have a 750w unit running a 1070! :D

1 hour ago, FoxfireAhri said:

That's a lie.

It wasn't even true 10 years ago.

But 10 years before that, there might be something to it.

With modern PSU, the optimal range is between 20 and 80%, but even 100% isn't a problem. They are just that good.

Also with a 1080TI and a Ryzen we are at around 300W ful load, more or less..

So what's best for you is a 550W, because its not too inefficient under low loads (modern PCs idle at around 50W), while way under 100% load.

So why waste money on an 850W you never ever need??

Because you like unneccessary loud PSU?
Because you like wasting money??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, rhyseyness said:

More watts is not dangerous.

Yes it is!

Because higher bulk capacitance.

Because higher rated amperage

Thus the damage in a fault situation is higher than a lower wattage one.

PSUs are most efficient around half load

No, they are not.

That wasn't true 10 years ago -> 

http://www.planet3dnow.de/artikel/hardware/netzteile/netzteil2006/netzteile_unter_50_euro/

http://www.planet3dnow.de/artikel/hardware/netzteile/netzteil2006/mittelklasse/

That isn't true now.

More modern PSU are most efficient at lower loads like 30%.

And even if, with modern 80plus Gold or better units we are talking about what?
1%? 2%? maybe 2,5%? You really think that's worth mentioning??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

It makes no sense to spend more for a 750w model if the 850w model is on sale for less. PSUs are most efficient around half load and even if you trade off some efficiency, the real world impact on your power bill is pennies. 

On the upside, you'll be working the 850w unit less and as a result have a quiet experience. It never hurts to get a higher unit off a sale, it's why I have a 750w unit running a 1070! :D

I got a 750w True Power Classic for my locked i5 and 1060 :P 

OP: just get the 850W. It’ll last forever and be efficient. Higher wattage just means it can push it if it needs to, not that it’s always pushing that much

That's an F in the profile pic

52 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

-snip-

Point still stands. No reason to get the 750w unit if the 850w is currently cheaper.

57 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes it is!

Because higher bulk capacitance.

Because higher rated amperage

Thus the damage in a fault situation is higher than a lower wattage one.

Disagree.

If a power supply is worth it's weight, over-current and over-voltage protection will save your components regardless of the power supply capacity.

High wattage supplies will have higher rated components, so less likely to fail.

Any over current that makes it to your sensitive components is likely to kill them. More current capacity doens't make them more likely to kill stuff.

50A through a short on your 12V rail is going kill components exactly the same as 100A will.

All power supplies have the capacity to deliver enough power to kill components.

More protection features will save your components, a lower capcity supply will not.

6 hours ago, FoxfireAhri said:

That's not really how efficiency works. Different PSUs are more efficient at different loads while heat can affect efficiency, among other things. Never buy a PSU based on the stupid "efficiency curve." Buy one based on your hardware and how much it will consume while keeping quality and electrical performance priority. 

You'd be fine with a 550G3 with a 1080Ti.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||