Best pcie or USB wifi card?

Agent181
Go to solution Solved by Agent181,
Just now, hconverse02 said:

1 wall between (about 5 meters)

alright i guess I'll get the step up then, im on the first floor and the router is a floor up 8meters away 

Hi so I just moved to a new place and router/modem is on the other side of the house and running an Ethernet cable is not an option( a 70ft cord could do it but landlord says no).  What is the best usb or pcie wifi card that I can get for distance?

Im looking at these right now.  I want to keep the price around $60ish but I could go higher if it was that worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JUCUMBK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2H5PL0SABVA7V&colid=1OK0FMWATL2J8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016K0896K/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Q04QEIG7LOAN&colid=1OK0FMWATL2J8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JNA337K/ref=psdc_13983711_t1_B016K0896K

Thanks for your help.

Definitely the asus one.  I have the one below it (at $33 usd) and it's great paired with a good hdd or an ssd, so if your internet can supply 1 gigabite download speeds, get it, otherwise save $30

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

You should also consider powerline networking

1. TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Kit with Wi-Fi Extender, Includes 1 x TPL-406E + 1 x TPL-410AP, 500 AV Powerline and N300 Wireless N, TPL-410APK : http://amzn.to/2yhMWhY

Kit made of two devices :  you plug the ethernet cable from your router into TPL-406E and that uses the mains wiring in your house to connect to the other device TPL-410APK at up to 500 mbps (depends on how your house is wired and other things)

The TPL-410APK creates 2 ethernet ports in which you can plug things and also acts as a 300 mbps wireless access point so you can use wireless cards to connect to it, or connect to it using your phone etc

For 55$ it seems like a good deal 

There's also this stuff without wireless but 1000 mbps, NETGEAR PowerLINE 1000 Mbps, 1 Gigabit Port - Essentials Edition (PL1010-100PAS) : https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-Mbps-Gigabit/dp/B01929ESG6/

or with wifi-ac as well , but it's more expensive at 82$ : https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-Mbps-Gigabit/dp/B01929V7ZG/?th=1

or you can go for a "starter kit" , 200 mbps for 25$ : https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA2010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/

38 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Definitely the asus one.  I have the one below it (at $33 usd) and it's great paired with a good hdd or an ssd, so if your internet can supply 1 gigabite download speeds, get it, otherwise save $30

how far are you from the source of your modem/router

26 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You should also consider powerline networking

snip

I want to do this but I cant its not my house and the best thing I can do is going pcie or usb :(

17 minutes ago, Agent181 said:

I want to do this but I cant its not my house and the best thing I can do is going pcie or usb :(

Why would it matter that it's your house or not?

You're not ADDING wires, you're not drilling holes in walls, you're not affecting the property in any way, or the resale value in any way, and it's a legitimate product.  When you leave the place, you just pull out the two devices from the mains sockets and it's as if they never were there.

Your landlord can not forbid you to plug something in the mains socket, unless you actually only rent one room and your landlord lives with your in the apartment or house. Do you have to ask for permissions to plug a phone charger in your mains sockets, or a radio?

You plug one part of the kit in the mains plug and connect it to the router using an ethernet cable, and from the router's point of view, that device is a network card or a computer.

You plug the other part of the kit in your room in a mains socket and you have ethernet ports or wireless in your room (if you buy it with wireless.

Or ... is it maybe that the router is in his apartment and you're in another apartment or something like that?

Just now, mariushm said:

Why would it matter that it's your house or not?

You're not ADDING wires, you're not drilling holes in walls, you're not affecting the resale value in any way, and it's a legitimate product.  Your landlord can not forbid you to plug something in the mains socket, unless you actually only rent one room.

Do you have to ask for permissions to plug a phone charger in your mains sockets, or a radio?

You plug one part of the kit in the mains plug and connect it to the router using an ethernet cable, and from the router's point of view, that device is a network card or a computer.

You plug the other part of the kit in your room in a mains socket and you have ethernet ports or wireless in your room (if you buy it with wireless.

Yeah I only rent 1 room though .-.

31 minutes ago, Agent181 said:

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Just now, hconverse02 said:

alright i guess I'll get the step up then, im on the first floor and the router is a floor up 8meters away 

On 10/11/2017 at 3:55 PM, hconverse02 said:

ordered the asus one and installed it, it works perfectly with some minor issues but it works :D