Xbox head Phil Spencer explains the company’s plan for the Xbox One X

Allycat

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/technology/gaming/xbox-head-phil-spencer-explains-the-companys-plan-for-the-xbox-one-x/news-story/428a4467dec0bcccd07bf640b9f488ad

Moving away from VR when it can do it is a big call.

Xbox head Phil Spencer said even though his company had created the world’s most powerful console, he didn’t want to limit the exclusive titles to the platform.

He acknowledged some people would see that as a reason not to buy an Xbox. but admits he is fine with that.

“If someone decides that they’d rather be playing on PC, I’m not going to shun that ... we see that as a healthy thing,” he said.

Mr Spencer said the company avoided the technology because he didn’t believe people’s loungerooms were the ideal place to showcase everything VR could do.

“It is true that last year at E3 when we announced Project Scorpio we mentioned VR … that was because when we looked at design spec in terms of performance, we knew we could drive a good VR experience on that console itself,” he said.

“As we’ve just watched the market evolve, I don’t want to try to force something in terms of market demand.

“I like the work Sony is doing with PSVR and I applaud them for the work they’ve done — but for us and the choices we’re making, I still see mixed reality as a place of incubation and learning.

+1

Idk how, but I'm actually starting to kind of like MS.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Hololens is a better more realistic goal anyway imo.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I think the general public's unwillingness to adopt 3D TV says a lot, we wont even wear a pair of lightweight glasses for an enhanced experience, i cant see too many people being willing to don something the size of a bicycle helmet with a tether at the back just so they can mess around with some short games/demos.  

he sees play on PC as a healthy thing but all the Xbox tiles on PCs have issues. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Phil Spencer is the MVP.

The only thing missing from Xbox is an official OG Xbox emulator.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

26 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

he sees play on PC as a healthy thing but all the Xbox tiles on PCs have issues. 

From what I understand the first party games have been solid on PC. Anything else isn’t really MS problem.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

1 hour ago, Newenthusiast said:

I think the general public's unwillingness to adopt 3D TV says a lot, we wont even wear a pair of lightweight glasses for an enhanced experience, i cant see too many people being willing to don something the size of a bicycle helmet with a tether at the back just so they can mess around with some short games/demos.  

VR and 3D tvs are not the same whatsoever.

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

VR and 3D tvs are not the same whatsoever.

He's not saying they are the same, he's comparing the fact that they both require you to wear something to enjoy it, and a lot of people are put off even wearing 3D glasses, let alone a fairly bulky VR headset and wires trailing about. I agree.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

6 hours ago, bob51zhang said:

+1

Idk how, but I'm actually starting to kind of like MS.

I would say you probably like Phil Spencer and the way he runs Xbox, not Microsoft. Microsoft as a company still has some very bad habits. Unless of course you like Microsoft as a whole then sure I guess.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

First they call it the X-Box One X (X.B.O.X)

Which means they've done an XBOX 360

So clearly the next one will be called the X-Box One X 360 :D 

I do like the non-exclusive title talks though, gives me hope :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I personally hate VR so if one of the major companies involved with gaming decides to ignore I'm all for that as it means more push into normal games, but I'm still not getting Windows 10 MS :P

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I feel like we're just being told what we want to hear instead of the real reasons. I mean the Xbox One X not getting VR support is definitely going to disappoint some people and is one less selling point for the system. I honestly think they've realised that the system has come too late and will have to compete with the PS5 which should launch in the next couple of years as well as the PS4 which already has VR support and a better library.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

7 hours ago, Vode said:

Phil Spencer is the MVP.

The only thing missing from Xbox is an official OG Xbox emulator.

Have you seen the Xbox 360 emulator project? http://xenia.jp/

Cool thing is learned how to rip games with a xbox 360 install feature, so I ripped my collection to try with the emulator. This is a work in progress and is no were near stable.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

34 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Have you seen the Xbox 360 emulator project? http://xenia.jp/

Cool thing is learned how to rip games with a xbox 360 install feature, so I ripped my collection to try with the emulator. This is a work in progress and is no were near stable.

Yeah I really meant OG Xbox. 360 is useless to me unfortunately... :/

Yes I‘m aware of Xenia. Good to know it finally got some traction!

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

So VR just keep deflating more and more. I remember I was told how wrong I was when I call it a stupid fad and how it was the future and then how I just needed to wait for second generation devices and so on.

But it's looking more and more as just another attempt at 3D and we've had those since what the 1950s? There's always some new revolutionary 3D thing that will somewhat change all paradigms and it keeps failing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Vode said:

Yeah I really meant OG Xbox. 360 is useless to me unfortunately... :/

Yes I‘m aware of Xenia. Good to know it finally got some traction!

Ya I knew that you meant OG. have never found one for that.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

Ya I knew that you meant OG. have never found one for that.

There is one that can make it to the menus for Halo: Combat Evolved. You can select stuff and text is corrupted, that‘s it.

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

10 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

I think the problem there lied in the fact of most people didnt see it as an Enhanced Experiance. Made brightness way less and got some weird Forced 3d projectiles flying at you on purpose only to remind and show you that your watching 3d. Also Cut your refreshrates in half and or your tv was true 120hz turned into 60hz  Though this is considerbly only the tiny % of techies who care about that. 

Best application of 3d was for Video gaming the Ps3 had it so you put glasses on you both got to play the full screen instead of split screen but in 2d. Since each player only got one eye it gave them the full Screen but no 3d effect. No screen looking and Its like having 2 tvs in the room. But co-op playing has really died off which makes less people care

i had a laptop with nvidia 3d vision glasses you had to charge and most games that took advantage of it the 3d killed performance. 

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

So VR just keep deflating more and more. I remember I was told how wrong I was when I call it a stupid fad and how it was the future and then how I just needed to wait for second generation devices and so on.

You and me both.  I've said all along that 3D and VR are nothing more than fads that come and go (and come again, and go again, etc).  Some people have to learn the hard way, though.

2 hours ago, linkboy said:

Xbox ran a p3 or Celeron 733mhz in a to risc setup, I'd imagine that it would be easy enough to emulate as compared to asic hardware of the ps2

And as long as halo 2 works thats all that matters really

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

15 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

You and me both.  I've said all along that 3D and VR are nothing more than fads that come and go (and come again, and go again, etc).  Some people have to learn the hard way, though.

Until they can give the budget constrained person an experience that is currently what a 1200 dollar PC, and 600 dollars in VR gear for the price of a Nintendo console it's not going mainstream anytime soon. 

We really need 8k screens for emersion too which kinda sucks, and the backpack solutions to be lightweight and support 8 hours or so of game time would be nice. 

A few more failures before it takes off imo. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

15 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Hololens is a better more realistic goal anyway imo.

I don't know.. I recently had the opportunity to try Hololens at a conference. While it was cool, I think Hololens (AR) and VR are just 2 entirely different things.

To me, the advantage of AR is that you are not away from reality, you can still see everything around you. This is a much nicer experience.

That being said, the advantage of VR is that it is truly immersive.

The applications of AR and VR are just different. As an architect, the application for AR to me is looking at a scale model of your project on a table. VR allows you to actually walk around in a project that has not been built yet. They both have a usefulness.

As far as the technology, I think VR is more advanced right now. AR such as Hololens still suffers from a very limited field of view for the experience. It is literally like holding a credit card in front of your face, that is how small the AR field of view is. Not a good experience IMHO. Besides that, the headset is heavy and clunky still while the processing power is not that good. I understand these technical limitations will disappear over time, but they still have a lot of work to do.