AMD FX or Ryzen (go team red)

I just noticed that the new Star Wars Battlefront 2 minimum requirement for a CPU is AMD fx-350, and I am running a 6300. So I was wondering, should I upgrade to a higher tier in the fx series for around $100, or upgrade to Ryzen and have to purchase a new motherboard? Is it worth the additional $300 with motherboard included, or not?

3 minutes ago, koenc001 said:

I just noticed that the new Star Wars Battlefront 2 minimum requirement for a CPU is AMD fx-350, and I am running a 6300. So I was wondering, should I upgrade to a higher tier in the fx series for around $100, or upgrade to Ryzen and have to purchase a new motherboard? Is it worth the additional $300 with motherboard included, or not?

Ryzen. Don't even bother with FX anymroe.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You also need to buy DDR4 memory as well. 

Magical Pineapples

Upgrade. the FX is a dead platform now, so when you wanted to upgrade again in the future you would have to buy new RAM, CPU and Motherboard. Go with ryzen and stay up to date, DDR4 RAM is 109938467592387x better than DDR3

long term it will be a better choice to have gone ryzen now, as am4 will be staying here for a while, you might even get 12 core cpus eventually :) (with ryzen 2)

FX is at the end of its life and it isnt worth it. Ryzen is the way to go. The AM4 platform provides better upgradability and is newer.

If the CPU still serves you well, keep it. No point in upgrading if you aren't going to use the extra power. 

If you actually need the power, then yeah. Ryzen is completely worth it. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads.