Home backup computer

OddBook

I’m wanting to set up a computer at home to serve as a backup for all my other computers. Wired connection is out of the option. I want to be able to back up several computers over my WiFi network to this one computer. Is this possible, if so, how would I do this?

You'd probably want to invest in a NAS box of sorts. You can build your own, or you can get something pre-assembled, with or without hard drives included. Your choice.

The only issue I see is Wi-Fi is actually pretty darn slow for this sort of thing. So you may want to plug in for the initial backup. Incremental backups from thereon should be fine.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You'd probably want to invest in a NAS box of sorts. You can build your own, or you can get something pre-assembled, with or without hard drives included. Your choice.

The only issue I see is Wi-Fi is actually pretty darn slow for this sort of thing. So you may want to plug in for the initial backup. Incremental backups from thereon should be fine.

I’ve already got the hardware, so I figured id use that. How do I have to configure my network settings to be able to do this?

I would just setup file sharing on the backup computer. You will need a lot of space on this computer. 

I would use Veeam Endpoint backup on each computer to back them up to the file share.

Wifi will slow it down and may make wifi unusable depending on your router during the backup time.

Just now, OddBook said:

I’ve already got the hardware, so I figured id use that. How do I have to configure my network settings to be able to do this?

It depends on the OS, but if we're talking about Windows clients, you need network discovery turned on (I believe it's on by default) and you need to have the network set to private (which is asked for Wi-Fi networks the first time you join them).

On the server, you need to make sure it has a Samba server enabled if you're connecting to Windows clients. If your server is Windows based however, you can either setup a Homegroup on the server if you don't mind having everything dumped in one place, or setup a shared folder.

Don't use wifi. If you can't directly wire your backup, get a set of Ethernet over power adapters. They only cost $30-$40 bucks. Waaaaaay better connection than WiFi. 

46 minutes ago, thorsong said:

Don't use wifi. If you can't directly wire your backup, get a set of Ethernet over power adapters. They only cost $30-$40 bucks. Waaaaaay better connection than WiFi. 

Would that work with 6-7 computers?

1 hour ago, OddBook said:

Would that work with 6-7 computers?

should just get a switch on the other end and make sure you plug the powerline adapter right into the electric outlet, not any power stips or suge protectors for the fastest speeds

if you have coax outlets near you could use a set of moca adapters instead of powerline adapters