General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

On 11/1/2020 at 7:53 AM, SpiderMan said:

Hey guys, I just swapped in a 10980xe into my MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, replacing my i7-9800X. I didn't clear CMOS as I figured the computer should be fine. I decided to download AIDA64 Extreme (trial version) and test the CPU out. The second I hit start, the computer freezes and BSODs with "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR". I think I pin pointed down to the "Enhanced Turbo" feature in my BIOS's settings as when I change it from "Enabled" to "Auto", I don't get any crashes at all. Also when it's set to enabled, the cores would reach 4600mhz at around 1.242V. Enhanced Turbo is basically an easy overclock feature that you can set in BIOS I suppose right? Should I just keep this feature at the default "Auto"? 

When I got my 10980xe I reset BIOS defaults then went and installed Intel's Performance Maximizer tool. Which is basically a tool to test what OC you can get. Mine came back with 3.9ghz all core (including AVX 512), with a few cores still using Turbo Boost 3.0 to hit 4.6ghz. This was with a 280mm AIO for reference. 

2 hours ago, DogKnight said:

When I got my 10980xe I reset BIOS defaults then went and installed Intel's Performance Maximizer tool. Which is basically a tool to test what OC you can get. Mine came back with 3.9ghz all core (including AVX 512), with a few cores still using Turbo Boost 3.0 to hit 4.6ghz. This was with a 280mm AIO for reference. 

I've heard about that tool but have heard some people say it can be harmful to the processor. From what I've read, people that have used this tool resulted in damaged processors. That's why I've set my own turbo ratios manually. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I've encountered a new issue with my system. After overclocking, issuing a shutdown command doesnt actually shut down my computer! windows does its thing, but then the screen goes black, and the LEDs and fans keep running. I have to force it to power off by holding the power button.

I'm going to remove the overclock and see what happens, but if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

okay, I removed the overclock, ran some shut down tests, and the issue persists. I just reinstalled windows yesterday and this is a new problem, I never had this issue before. I'm wondering if it could be a driver issue because my bios is exactly the same as it has always been, save for changing the clock ratio and increasing the voltage. I've looked online and seen some people having issues with always-on USB charging, though I do have stuff plugged into the always charging ports, i removed them when testing and it made no difference. I also uninstalled asus ai charger, which I never used in my last installation, it made no difference.

I really want to fix this!

So I left my pc in its limbo state while went to do some haircuts, and when I came home from my salon and I noticed my PC was off. I was a little worried but it powered on and booted into windows in less than 30 seconds, as usual. Further testing shows that it takes approximately 5 minutes to power down completely, whether or not there is an overclock applied. I have a feeling this is a windows thing, because I have never had this issue before. I have dealt with dying motherboards in my shop that would literally sit in the limbo state for as long as you'll let them, so I'm pretty dang sure this is a windows problem. I'm gonna boot into a live CD of linux and see what happens.

okay, its officially a windows problem, my PC turns off instantly when I boot into parted magic.

I'll hit up the tech support side and try to sort this out.

5 hours ago, Skunch said:

okay, its officially a windows problem, my PC turns off instantly when I boot into parted magic.

I'll hit up the tech support side and try to sort this out.

Best of luck, was monitoring the forum but could not give any advice as I wouldn't know why the case fans/LEDs are still going when the system is powered off.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

New to the X58 1366 OC club. My first 1366 system ever!

So far here's where I'm at. Just thought to share with you guys. This is not a completed overclock. This is day 3.

Board is quirky. Set settings F10 restart, enter bios. Shut down PC and wait 15 seconds and post cold. 

Then settings apply without issue. Before, would just restart when accessing the drive to windows.

i7 930 4.4ghz - Yay! 

1354116800_i7930SSIV.thumb.png.353f3c7c236777eb7eb8a4ef5f08b08f.png

On 2/2/2021 at 9:56 AM, Pasi123 said:

I might also buy another 4x16GB 1600MHz kit to get 128GB RAM total which should be decent for Chrome.

If you want to open 2 or more tabs, you might want 1TB...

Anyway, I don't have any HEDT CPUs unless you count my single-core 2 GHz G5.

elephants

4 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

Best of luck, was monitoring the forum but could not give any advice as I wouldn't know why the case fans/LEDs are still going when the system is powered off.

thanks, I was super relieved when I saw it shut down with no problems from a linux disk. windows shenanigans aside, I'm quite happy with my setup!

1 minute ago, Skunch said:

thanks, I was super relieved when I saw it shut down with no problems from a linux disk. windows shenanigans aside, I'm quite happy with my setup!

I was thinking, maybe the cooling state for the processor in sleep mode is set to active or something along the lines here with why the fans/LEDs were still on after the system was shut down. 

3 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I was thinking, maybe the cooling state for the processor in sleep mode is set to active or something along the lines here with why the fans/LEDs were still on after the system was shut down. 

yeah, I was gonna tinker around with that stuff, but I figured I'd try the path of least resistance first.

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

New to the X58 1366 OC club. My first 1366 system ever!

So far here's where I'm at. Just thought to share with you guys. This is not a completed overclock. This is day 3.

Board is quirky. Set settings F10 restart, enter bios. Shut down PC and wait 15 seconds and post cold. 

Then settings apply without issue. Before, would just restart when accessing the drive to windows.

i7 930 4.4ghz - Yay! 

1354116800_i7930SSIV.thumb.png.353f3c7c236777eb7eb8a4ef5f08b08f.png

welcome to the cool club! how old is the power supply you are using? I say this because many times when I thought the motherboard was busted after having similar quirks, a new psu solved the problem. nehalem chips are pretty hungry for power!

2 minutes ago, Skunch said:

welcome to the cool club! how old is the power supply you are using? I say this because many times when I thought the motherboard was busted after having similar quirks, a new psu solved the problem. nehalem chips are pretty hungry for power!

Oh baby, it's old old old. 10 years old actually. It's an Antec 850w CP series. It's been a good old PSU for sure. Haven't an issue with it yet. (knock on wood) And alternatively I have yet another 10 year old PSU that brought my 8700K over 6ghz, so I have a backup. Not replacing them until they die. XD

And you're right! This damn 930 loves the juices. I did further the OC to about 4.6ghz before I hung it up for the evening. That was about 1.650v. My loop should be able to handle the 2 cores around 1.7v maybe a tad more. 

49 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh baby, it's old old old. 10 years old actually. It's an Antec 850w CP series. It's been a good old PSU for sure. Haven't an issue with it yet. (knock on wood) And alternatively I have yet another 10 year old PSU that brought my 8700K over 6ghz, so I have a backup. Not replacing them until they die. XD

And you're right! This damn 930 loves the juices. I did further the OC to about 4.6ghz before I hung it up for the evening. That was about 1.650v. My loop should be able to handle the 2 cores around 1.7v maybe a tad more. 

Honestly, I felt the same about my Thermaltake TR 700W, multiple PSU testers said that it was healthy, but swapping in a new seasonic TX-750 removed every issue I had, which included: random overclock warnings when I wasn't overclocking, motherboard settings being reset, refusing to boot into windows, Crashing and instability when setting any level of overclock, and a few months before I bought the replacement, I would have hard resets when running any 3d accelerated game.

I had my Tt Tr2 for about 7 years before I finally decided to replace it, I'm guessing it started to fail about 2 years ago.

On 2/1/2021 at 2:34 PM, Skunch said:

SSD storage.jpg

Woah, How were you able to boot NVMe on x58? Tax returns coming soon and I would totally love to do this, might get a new case as well before I upgrade to a newer HEDT platform later this year.

31 minutes ago, drevmcast said:

Woah, How were you able to boot NVMe on x58? Tax returns coming soon and I would totally love to do this, might get a new case as well before I upgrade to a newer HEDT platform later this year.

yes, the secret is to overpay for old NVMe drives that have a built in legacy boot rom. That's why modern NVMe's don't boot on old systems, they only support UEFI boot. I bought 4 samsung 950 PRO drives for hobby and tinkering stuff. I've got 3 512GB, and one 256GB drive. I was planning on setting up a RAID with redundancy with the 512's, but I learned that you need an NVMe adapter with it's own bifurcation chipset when you're on motherboards/CPUs that don't have that feature. Those cards start at 400CAD, and that's for weird chinese brands you've never heard of.

I managed to grab all 3 from one seller for about 500CAD, the first one was 200, but the seller sold me his remaining two for 300. The 256 came as part of a bundle of used parts, about 120 bucks with a WD black 1TB that the seller shipped LOOSE IN A BOX WITH NO PACKING. NVMe works fine, but the WD black was DOA, seller gave me back a 20 bucks for the bad drive.

Warning, the prices for those NVMe drives have gone up considerably since I bought mine about 2 years ago. I think plextor made an NVMe drive with legacy boot rom, but I have never found one for sale online.

*edit*

950 PROs are totally plug and play, no tinkering, they are detected as IDE devices by the motherboard. As far as I can tell from benchmarks, they do not perform as best as they can, but they are still wicked fast for the X58 platform.

15 minutes ago, Skunch said:

Honestly, I felt the same about my Thermaltake TR 700W, multiple PSU testers said that it was healthy, but swapping in a new seasonic TX-750 removed every issue I had, which included: random overclock warnings when I wasn't overclocking, motherboard settings being reset, refusing to boot into windows, Crashing and instability when setting any level of overclock, and a few months before I bought the replacement, I would have hard resets when running any 3d accelerated game.

I had my Tt Tr2 for about 7 years before I finally decided to replace it, I'm guessing it started to fail about 2 years ago.

Oh I understand what you're saying. Maybe the Board is quirky from the aging PSU. Well I cannot disagree with that.

The board is a Gigabyte X58A UD3R. Not exactly the best for what I am aiming to do with it. 

First night was Get the cmos battery replaced. Swapped a GTX 980 known working with the same PSU to a GTX 760 for the same exact thoughts you have.

Swapped a XEON to this i7 930 and with that, the board finally posted for me. 

Also, I'm probably at minimum the 3rd owner of said board. So it's already taken a beating. (this the most likely of my issues lol)

That and I should be running a x64 bit operating system on Sata not Pata, which yes, I'm using a Pata drive lol. XD

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh I understand what you're saying. Maybe the Board is quirky from the aging PSU. Well I cannot disagree with that.

The board is a Gigabyte X58A UD3R. Not exactly the best for what I am aiming to do with it. 

First night was Get the cmos battery replaced. Swapped a GTX 980 known working with the same PSU to a GTX 760 for the same exact thoughts you have.

Also, I'm probably at minimum the 3rd owner of said board. So it's already taken a beating. (this the most likely of my issues lol)

That and I should be running a x64 bit operating system on Sata not Pata, which yes, I'm using a Pata drive lol. XD

That's pretty awesome. Saw someone on FB selling a dual Xeon system with two air coolers and like 98GB of RAM for like ~$90...should have picked it up and messed around with it. 

4 minutes ago, Skunch said:

yes, the secret is to overpay for old NVMe drives that have a built in legacy boot rom. That's why modern NVMe's don't boot on old systems, they only support UEFI boot. I bought 4 samsung 950 PRO drives for hobby and tinkering stuff. I've got 3 512GB, and one 256GB drive. I was planning on setting up a RAID with redundancy with the 512's, but I learned that you need an NVMe adapter with it's own bifurcation chipset when you're on motherboards/CPUs that don't have that feature. Those cards start at 400CAD, and that's for weird chinese brands you've never heard of.

I managed to grab all 3 from one seller for about 500CAD, the first one was 200, but the seller sold me his remaining two for 300. The 256 came as part of a bundle of used parts, about 120 bucks with a WD black 1TB that the seller shipped LOOSE IN A BOX WITH NO PACKING. NVMe works fine, but the WD black was DOA, seller game me back a 20 bucks for the bad drive.

Warning, the prices for those NVMe drives have gone up considerably since I bought mine about 2 years ago. I think plextor made an NVMe drive with legacy boot rom, but I have never found one for sale online.

Damn, I just checked the prices and they are totally unreasonable. Hopefully I can find a deal for once because that seems awesome, I see them for like 300 right now and if I could find one for half that I would jump on it. Also wtf? just shipping hard drives with no packaging? I bought SAS drives on ebay and they had just enough packaging. 

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh heck yes, the UD3R is a rock solid board, I also have UD7, but I swapped to my current board (asus rampage III Formula) because the gigabyte boards didn't support PCIE boot for my NVMe drives.

2 minutes ago, drevmcast said:

Damn, I just checked the prices and they are totally unreasonable. Hopefully I can find a deal for once because that seems awesome, I see them for like 300 right now and if I could find one for half that I would jump on it. Also wtf? just shipping hard drives with no packaging? I bought SAS drives on ebay and they had just enough packaging. 

ebay is full of jabroni's like that. he wasn't a bad dude, genuinely sorry and I was fine with getting 20 bucks back for the bad drive, I was mainly buying it for the NVMe drive. 20 bucks for a used HDD is about the max I would pay anyway. Also, I don't know if I'm breaking any forum rules, but I'd be willing to part with my 256GB drive if you're interested. Shoot me a message and we can work something out.

1 minute ago, Skunch said:

Oh heck yes, the UD3R is a rock solid board, I also have UD7, but I swapped to my current board (asus rampage III Formula) because the gigabyte boards didn't support PCIE boot for my NVMe drives.

I'm aiming for max clocks, might visit LN2. Gotta see where the cpu lands, I hear that a lot of processors differ greatly and I should be binning.... but I only have one, so max with it and done. I will run some benchmarks and score some points + learn the platform ins and outs ect ect. 

Not for daily use. It will get boxed and stored for another time to revisit the platform. That's pretty much what I do with legacy hardware. 

8700K is my daily

2700X is my HTPC 4K gamer 

4 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

That's pretty awesome. Saw someone on FB selling a dual Xeon system with two air coolers and like 98GB of RAM for like ~$90...should have picked it up and messed around with it. 

Ah dang. I got this setup on a trade. For a DFI UT Expert. Super hard to find that board. But I've done quite a bit with that plaform and have another UT board, so all good there. I've benched a lot of platforms, 1366 isn't one, so I thought it to be a good trade from my perspective. 

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm aiming for max clocks, might visit LN2. Gotta see where the cpu lands, I hear that a lot of processors differ greatly and I should be binning.... but I only have one, so max with it and done. I will run some benchmarks and score some points + learn the platform ins and outs ect ect. 

Not for daily use. It will get boxed and stored for another time to revisit the platform. That's pretty much what I do with legacy hardware. 

<snip>

well, someone is selling 12 i7-920's for about 130CAD on ebay, that's just over 10 bucks a pop. Low end i7's for X58 are cheap! Have fun with the 45nm chips, the 32nm gulftowns are different beasts!

Just now, Skunch said:

well, someone is selling 12 i7-920's for about 130CAD on ebay, that's just over 10 bucks a pop. Low end i7's for X58 are cheap! Have fun with the 45nm chips, the 32nm gulftowns are different beasts!

I have 3 Xeons of different models. Off my head, I can't remember the part numbers ooff, I'm getting old. 

Probably won't be buying a bunch of chips for binning though, not my cup of tea. 

I de-lid and run naked instead.

But damn 45nm chip just wants mad v-core. No problem. 2.0v here I come! (not now some other later time lol)