Images of pins for z370 & z270

NumLock21

Pics of the differences in pin layout for z370 and z270. Z370 has more vcc, to go with what intel been saying that coffeelake needs more power. It seems what they did was change those rsvd (reserved) pins to power (vcc) and ground (vss).

• VSS: 377 -> 391 (+14)
  • VCC: 128 -> 146 (+18)
  • RSVD: 46 ->25

Z270

Kabylake-LGA1151-Pinout-1.jpg.91bab5df0f04c027ba2156780648bbeb.jpg

Z370

Coffeelake-LGA1151-Pinout-1.jpg.ccf372f698a433e003838f7dce4f4d02.jpg

Close up

LGA1151-changes.jpg.961aa93499ba9b6c6badbcea251901a3.jpg

https://videocardz.com/73126/coffeelake-and-kabylake-lga1151-pins-are-different

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Great find. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

But... But it posts!!!! Intel last minute changed the pins around so they were different and would need a new motherboard!!

waaaait for it....

To be honest I'm a little surprised by the amount of people that assumed it would be the exact same pin out.

11 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

But... But it posts!!!! Intel last minute changed the pins around so they were different and would need a new motherboard!!

waaaait for it....

To be honest I'm a little surprised by the amount of people that assumed it would be the exact same pin out.

yeah they had to change it to prevent people to put them into old motherboards. even if they wouldn't have bios support.

though i personnaly don't think they did this just to screw over consummers. i think there was some sort of incompatibility unstability problem they found and instead of leaving that open for pottential problems and having to fix it through multiple bios updates they just straight up locked out the possibility of it happening.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

19 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah they had to change it to prevent people to put them into old motherboards. even if they wouldn't have bios support.

though i personnaly don't think they did this just to screw over consummers. i think there was some sort of incompatibility unstability problem they found and instead of leaving that open for pottential problems and having to fix it through multiple bios updates they just straight up locked out the possibility of it happening.

they increased number of pins for stuff like ground and vcore. Which makes sense as they need better power delivery for 6 core cpus.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

29 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Same. More cores, more power. 

On 9/29/2017 at 1:47 AM, Master Disaster said:

Hmmmmm, so that one guy who swore blind Intel had to change the socket layout to accommodate CLs extra cores and updated memory support was talking out of his ass.

So what again about me talking out my ass?

im going to say that unless those extra cores were wired directly to those new power pins instead of it being a joint input for the CPU, it would have worked fine on a majority of Z270 boards. i highly doubt those extra two cores are enough to make most motherboards crumble. some lower end ones possiably? but i doubt the majority of Z270 would have any actiual problem and im pretty sure this is mostly just because of motherboard sales tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

21 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

just because of motherboard sales tbh

Why do people keep saying this? Intel only makes like $7 on the socket on each mobo. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Why do people keep saying this? Intel only makes like $7 on the socket on each mobo. 

because motherboard manufacturers? if your new CPU is a drop in swap then anyone thats upgradeing will just drop it in instead of buying a new motherboard, and therefore cutting sales of new motherboards quite a bit compared to what it could have been

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

because motherboard manufacturers? if your new CPU is a drop in swap then anyone thats upgradeing will just drop it in instead of buying a new motherboard, and therefore cutting sales of new motherboards quite a bit compared to what it could have been

But how is the blame on intel? Everyone is saying intel did this for money when they are not even the ones that will make the money.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

But how is the blame on intel? Everyone is saying intel did this for money when they are not even the ones that will make the money.

they make some money, but the industry puts pressure on them too, lots of companies survive on createing a selling motherboards, and while that has a really shitty profit margin it can still be a major part of the income  if not all of it. and as you said, Intel ARE makeing money off this too so there is economical benefit for them to do this aswell

Builds:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Um, chipset they make money on the chipset. 

13 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

they make some money, but the industry puts pressure on them too, lots of companies survive on createing a selling motherboards, and while that has a really shitty profit margin it can still be a major part of the income  if not all of it. and as you said, Intel ARE makeing money off this too so there is economical benefit for them to do this aswell

Yeah they could have easily increased the CPUs by $7 to offset the profits they would of loss not altering the socket. However, I still want to see your proof why they never needed to go this route? More cores mean more power draw and more cores mean new or more silicon needed then extra contacts. Maybe people should explain why its not need instead of spouting intel being a money grab.

35 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Really dude? Intel gets a licensing fee off every board that has their socket on it

Good info, hopefully this will shut up most of the Intel haters.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Yeah they could have easily increased the CPUs by $7 to offset the profits they would of loss not altering the socket. However, I still want to see your proof why they never needed to go this route? More cores mean more power draw and more cores mean new or more silicon needed then extra contacts. Maybe people should explain why its not need instead of spouting intel being a money grab.

here:

https://ark.intel.com/products/88046/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1285-v4-6M-Cache-3_50-GHz

95W chip on LGA1150, the 8700K is rated at, drumroll please! 95W! wow, amazing! we definatly needed even more voltage pins here! stability or some shit. these extra pins might take some thermal stress of the socket pins but they are most likely extremely over speced for what they are doing, at 0.74W per VCC pin on Kabylake with this chip. From what i can find LGA 1150 is at would you belive it, 0.74W per VCC pin! And these are the same pins, they are the same size, there is litteraly one more VCC pin on LGA1151(128) then on LGA1150(127), thats your extra pin for you. These voltage input pins feed the FIVR(Fully Intergrated Voltage Controller) and then that spits out all the voltages needed from the 1.8V or whatever you feel like setting the input voltage too. These extra pins are not needed, sure i dont MIND them, but they dont NEED them to be there. you are not going to burn out your Kabylake LGA1151 motherboard just because of those two extra cores

Builds:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Jahramika said:

Really dude? Intel gets a licensing fee off every board that has their socket on it

If you would of read my previous comments you maybe would of realized that I know that.

5 minutes ago, snortingfrogs said:

While i dont HATE Intel beyond the fact that it seems like we here in the north wont be getting much in the way of supply for Coffee Lake, these extra pins are REALLY not needed here

Builds:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, snortingfrogs said:

Not really. They'll ask questions like

• Why was there 46 "reserved" pins to begin with?
  • How come they didn't put those 46 pins to use? And if they didn't have any use, why bother with those pins at all?
  • If there were a bunch of reserved pins, then what makes the other LGA 115x sockets special?

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Not really. They'll ask questions like

• Why was there 46 "reserved" pins to begin with?
  • How come they didn't put those 46 pins to use? And if they didn't have any use, why bother with those pins at all?
  • If there were a bunch of reserved pins, then what makes the other LGA 115x sockets special?

That goes along with my question, of why they couldn't have designed the 200 series chipsets to support CL in the first place?  Considering it's been less than a year since the 200 series launched, they could have easily planned ahead and made the 200's compatible, thereby negating any need for a 300 series.  I'm also still curious why 6th and 7th gen processors can't function on the 300 series.  It should be a relatively simple matter for the board to detect the processor and disable the extra voltage pins if it's not CL.

8 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

That goes along with my question, of why they couldn't have designed the 200 series chipsets to support CL in the first place?

I doubt intel planed for amd to actually make a decent product, so they needed to boost the power on the chips given that they didn't make a new architecture just refined one.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

33 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

95W chip on LGA1150, the 8700K is rated at, drumroll please! 95W! wow, amazing! we definatly needed even more voltage pins here!

TDP =/= power draw, so that is almost entirely irrelevant

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

TDP =/= power draw, so that is almost entirely irrelevant

dosent change my conclusion that these extra pins are not needed, oh and Kabylake at stock sits in its power draw more or less smack dab on that TDP, and moveing forward  id expect the same from them.

Power Delta (Long Idle to OCCT)

Builds:

Spoiler