GTX1070 Strix Full Load Sound

Tsviki

Hey there folks,

My 1070 is set to "Silent Mode" in the ASUS TewakII program.
When im going full load (playing some ARK), the card gets to around 70c and that is fine. However, there is a big dissonant (almost like a high pitched scream) coming out from the card. Is there anyway I can tell what is the problem? Is there even a problem? Without headphones this sound is the worse.

This is called coil whine and if you're outside of warranty there probably isn't much you actually can do to solve that. See if the problem is worst on menu screens where the FPS (if unlocked) jumps to hundreds or more, that'd confirm coil whine.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

This is called coil whine and if you're outside of warranty there probably isn't much you actually can do to solve that. See if the problem is worst on menu screens where the FPS (if unlocked) jumps to hundreds or more, that'd confirm coil whine.

Im getting this only on full load (most of the times the card is really quiet and I cant even tell its near me, with or without headset on. I do have warranty if I remember right, can I just go to the store and say "Hey, I have some coil whine issues" and they will give me or take a look over the card? Thanks a lot!

1 minute ago, Tsviki said:

Im getting this only on full load (most of the times the card is really quiet and I cant even tell its near me, with or without headset on. I do have warranty if I remember right, can I just go to the store and say "Hey, I have some coil whine issues" and they will give me or take a look over the card? Thanks a lot!

How long ago did you get it and what store?

1 minute ago, Tsviki said:

Not sure depends on the store, on the vendor, etc. The thing is that if they don't give you money back (If it isn't the store it's unlikely) and give you another of the same model there's a rather high chance the new one will have the same noise: The same parts are used on the same model so often most of them have coil whine.

It can be annoying but it shouldn't actually have any detrimental effect to performance or anything.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

How long ago did you get it and what store?

A local store over my county, the warrenty from what I know is by ASUS Global. Im not sure how long I have the card since I got my PC in a part bundle, I can guess its like 1 year old max.

Def coil whine which most manufactures wont offer RMA on as its a common occurrence that does not affect the card or its performance. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

coil whine is the best, in some extreme cases manufacturers will replace your card, but unlikely. Jayz has some tips that might help to minimize it https://youtu.be/jtXAuIJchps

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

What powersupply do you have? Poor filtering in the PSU can cause more coil whine in a GPU. My GPU whined in a friends PC while it's quiet in mine. Same FPS, all we could figure was it was his PSU, a slightly lower tier than mine I think.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

If possible or not already done try limit the framerate it's about the only thing you can do or try another PSU.

My card does the same under high load and yeah it's a bit annoying, although it got better after a few months.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

started getting coil whine in my 1060 Strix after a few months of use. The only solution was to change my PSU. 

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

2 hours ago, Tsviki said:

Hey there folks,

My 1070 is set to "Silent Mode" in the ASUS TewakII program.
When im going full load (playing some ARK), the card gets to around 70c and that is fine. However, there is a big dissonant (almost like a high pitched scream) coming out from the card. Is there anyway I can tell what is the problem? Is there even a problem? Without headphones this sound is the worse.

thats coil whine you can't really do much about that. I have the same thing with my strix 1080Ti also but I hardly notice it now to be honest. You have to focus hard to hear it even.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

8 hours ago, asand1 said:

What powersupply do you have? Poor filtering in the PSU can cause more coil whine in a GPU. My GPU whined in a friends PC while it's quiet in mine. Same FPS, all we could figure was it was his PSU, a slightly lower tier than mine I think.

Im useing a 750W Antec 80+ Gold PSU, I dont think this is the case here.

7 hours ago, xsimplyjosh said:

thats coil whine you can't really do much about that. I have the same thing with my strix 1080Ti also but I hardly notice it now to be honest. You have to focus hard to hear it even.

If im with my headset on I wont hear it at all, I was just worried this sound means something is going bad with the GPU itself. Since its a common problem and stuff Im not worried anymore, it happends only in ARK at the moment so ill try go Vsync and see if there is something diffrent.

2 hours ago, Tsviki said:

If im with my headset on I wont hear it at all, I was just worried this sound means something is going bad with the GPU itself. Since its a common problem and stuff Im not worried anymore, it happends only in ARK at the moment so ill try go Vsync and see if there is something diffrent.

nah is just the insane amounts of currents going through the card and given its not always a fixed current and is constantly changing due to the dynamic nature of the game, hence the "coil whine"

as for an ideal inductor V = L*(di/dt) the di/dt bit is the constant change in currents, hence why voltage isnt always a fixed constant on your reading meter.

another way I'm guessing is lock your graphics to the monitor's refresh rate... you might get some input lag as a setback but thats about it, but it should eliminate the coil whine to some extent.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers