AMD RX Vega 64 Outperforms NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti By Up To 23% In DX12 Forza 7

Gdourado

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-vega-64-outperforms-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-23-dx12-forza-7/

In quite a shocking turn of events AMD’s RX Vega 64 manages to outpace NVIDIA’s GTX 1080 Ti by up to 23% in the upcoming DirectX 12 ready Forza 7. The racing game officially debuts next Tuesday, 3rd of October on PC but folks over at ComputerBase.demanaged to get their hands on it early to run their usual graphics performance tests and the results were surprising to say the least. So without any further ado let’s dig into the numbers.

At 1080p AMD’s Radeon RX Vega 64 leads the pack followed by the RX Vega 56 and NVIDIA’s GTX 1080 Ti. The RX Vega 64 delivers no less than 23% more frames per second than the GTX 1080 Ti and the RX Vega 56 leads the GTX 1080 by 18%. This is by all accounts extraordinarily unusual. Ordinarily, the GTX 1080 Ti would enjoy a comfortable 30%+ lead over both Vegas and the GTX 1080.

Amazing job AMD, your top of the line GPU manages to smash everything in a 10 year old resolution.

All hail the new 1080p king.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Amazing job AMD, your top of the line GPU manages to smash everything in a 10 year old resolution.

Some of us actually prefer 1080p so we are able to game at 165 and 240hz and not the choppy 60hz even if it is 4k...

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

More than 50% of steam users still use 1080p , it isn't dead yet.

And people said drivers and optimisation could not fix Vega. This is even in 1080p where AMD normally does worst due to Nvidias more efficient drivers.

I was gonna say maybe it's a case of Nvidia needing to optimize more for this game.

but then I noticed that at 1080p the Vega64 is also 60% faster than fury X. That's a much bigger margin than we see in other games.

17 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I wouldn't call 1080p dead, I just bought a 1080p monitor last month. So 1080p is still relevent for most people

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

19 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

Some of us actually prefer 1080p so we are able to game at 165 and 240hz and not the choppy 60hz even if it is 4k...

So you're buying a $600 GPU to get 200FPS at 1080p?

13 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

More than 50% of steam users still use 1080p , it isn't dead yet.

And people said drivers and optimisation could not fix Vega. This is even in 1080p where AMD normally does worst due to Nvidias more efficient drivers.

I didn't say it was dead but it is dying.

5 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

I wouldn't call 1080p dead, I just bought a 1080p monitor last month. So 1080p is still relevent for most people

Again, I didn't say it was dead.

It's very simple guys, people don't buy TOP OF THE LINE GPUs to game at 1080p. If your gaming at 1080p you buy a $250 GPU, $300 max. A 1060 is more than enough to push 1080p at over 100FPS in the large majority of games these days.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Holy shit that comment section on that site

fapped furiously, ty op and wccftech

ComputerBase reached out to NVIDIA and the company confirmed that the results were indeed accurate.

If that is actually true wow, I was in the mindset of game has finished optimizing for AMD and not yet for Nvidia.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

So you're buying a $600 GPU to get 200FPS at 1080p?

I didn't say it was dead but it is dying.

Again, I didn't say it was dead.

It's very simple guys, people don't buy TOP OF THE LINE GPUs to game at 1080p. If your gaming at 1080p you buy a $250 GPU, $300 max. A 1060 is more than enough to push 1080p at over 100FPS in the large majority of games these days.

Yes, I actually have a 1080p monitor and my GPU is not a top of the line 1080ti, but it is a 1080 and I enjoy the combo very much. 

To each their own I guess. 

I sure hope the new games that will release in the coming months have proper support for DX12, just so AMD can grab some more market share due to having better DX12 support, which in turn will push nvidia to make better things faster.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If that is actually true wow, I was in the mindset of game has finished optimizing for AMD and not yet for Nvidia.

The Nvidia cards are scaling almost perfectly in GPU-bound situations at 1080p, so those drivers look functional. 

Forza is an Xbox title, so is it possible this is the first engine over from modern developments for consoles and they just know how to leverage the Compute Power of AMD better? We know in the Compute realm, the cards are monsters over the consumer Nvidia offerings. It's not impossible for this to happen, I'm just extremely curious how or why.

It's also possible that the AA type they're using just runs better on Nvidia. 8x MSAA seems to kill the RX Vega line up, for instance.

what gives me some hope that this isn't just some big problem with nvidea is that the 580 is in a very normal position, and so is the fury x, although it seems scaling from 1080 to 1080 ti is only half what tech powerup would suggest (i know its not the best way to see differences to lazy to check other places out)

16 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's also possible that the AA type they're using just runs better on Nvidia. 8x MSAA seems to kill the RX Vega line up, for instance.

Close inspection of the data indicates that the GeForce cards, especially at the high end, are running into a significant bottleneck while their Radeon counterparts are not, even though 8 x MSAA was applied across the board.

That's why I was so shocked, it is being used. Also the 99th percentiles at 1080p was the most surprising, that is why I jumped to game not yet optimized for Nvidia.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

That's why I was so shocked. It is being used. Also the 99th percentiles at 1080p was the most surprising, that is why I jumped to game not yet optimized for Nvidia yet.

I imagine Nvidia will find a way around the problem with some time. I also spoke too soon and somehow missed the 1080 vs 1080 Ti numbers. Those are mostly too close.

It's also something of an interesting Game Engine. The 4K results speak to it. They're doing something that works well on Polaris & Vega but doesn't work with the Fury X. Which might also explain part of what's going on. The engine is clearly leveraging something very new and it probably isn't working too well with Nvidia in the current driver.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

That's why I was so shocked. It is being used. Also the 99th percentiles at 1080p was the most surprising, that is why I jumped to game not yet optimized for Nvidia yet.

nvidea did release a drive for that though no?, yes they did

my 2 cents:

1 they are using compute and other amd features

or

2 they are using compute... and nvidea is running out of cpu 

or

3 there is a game side bottleneck that is only affecting nvidea gpus

i find it hard to believe there would be a optimization problem for nvidea cards as most devs use them while making the game,(it would be cool to know if they did or not)

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's also something of an interesting Game Engine. The 4K results speak to it. They're doing something that works well on Polaris & Vega but doesn't work with the Fury X. Which might also explain part of what's going on. The engine is clearly leveraging something very new and it probably isn't working too well with Nvidia in the current driver.

Fury X is being hit hard by the 4GB VRAM, at 4k it'll be significantly higher than that causing the huge loss in performance. It's managing to hold up at 1440p though, so glad I didn't buy one of those now lol.

Just now, PopReference said:

Single digit FPS for Fury X? Clearly not OPTIMIZED for AMD MeMe

snip

No that just shows you that 4GB isn't enough for 4k

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i find it hard to believe there would be a optimization problem for nvidea cards as most devs use them while making the game,(it would be cool to know if they did or not)

This is an xbox title so I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly QA tested and optimized on Polaris computers.