Can a microphone ignore sounds coming from speakers?

Go to solution Solved by KingKeith55,

It's theoretically possible using software (most likely a DAW of sorts). However it might not work that well in practice. The only way to do it would be to route all of the sounds that come from the speakers into a DAW, while also routing the microphone input, and then inverting the speaker sounds, playing both at once and then using what it plays as the real microphone output.

Sorry for poor explanation. It's basically just inverting speaker sounds, that when played along with the microphone input that's picking up speaker sounds, cancels out any sounds coming from the speakers being picked up by the microphone.

What I mean is, is there a way to record my voice while playing a game and have the game play in the speakers?

I don't like using headphone, I prefer speakers. So is there a way for the microphone to just pick up my voice alone and ignore the sound it picks up from the speakers?

No there isnt. Maybe consider using EarPods or Bose SoundSport earplugs, they dont disturb you at all (except the cable, but if you want to go really crazy get AirPods or SoundSport Wireless :P)

Do you mean not pick up noises coming from the speakers while you're not talking, or not pick up anything at all from the speakers? 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

Do you mean not pick up noises coming from the speakers while you're not talking, or not pick up anything at all from the speakers? 

Nothing, no sounds from the speakers ever.

I presume it's either impossible or I need a very expensive microphone that can do that.

Just now, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Nothing, no sounds from the speakers ever.

I presume it's either impossible or I need a very expensive microphone that can do that.

ah ez

just get one of those subdermal microphones from splinter cell 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

It's theoretically possible using software (most likely a DAW of sorts). However it might not work that well in practice. The only way to do it would be to route all of the sounds that come from the speakers into a DAW, while also routing the microphone input, and then inverting the speaker sounds, playing both at once and then using what it plays as the real microphone output.

Sorry for poor explanation. It's basically just inverting speaker sounds, that when played along with the microphone input that's picking up speaker sounds, cancels out any sounds coming from the speakers being picked up by the microphone.

2 minutes ago, KingKeith55 said:

I'll look into that, thank you.

I understood what you meant from the beginning.

Spoiler
20 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

What I mean is, is there a way to record my voice while playing a game and have the game play in the speakers?

I don't like using headphone, I prefer speakers. So is there a way for the microphone to just pick up my voice alone and ignore the sound it picks up from the speakers?

a lav mic, one of those mic's reporters have clipped to the shirts........google searching

10 minutes ago, KingKeith55 said:

The audio output by the speakers is not exactly the same as the audio signal coming from the computer, and it also is delayed.

The proper way is to have a second microphone in front of the speaker recording it at the same time as the other mic records your voice, then subtract the speaker audio.

It also needs to be the exact same microphone recording both sources.

This is basically how "noise cancelling" microphones work.

It still sounds weird though, even with good mics, so it is always better to use closed back headphones or a mic that is very close to your mouth that doesn't pick up much of the speaker audio (or open back headphone audio).

A unidirectional microphone also helps a lot.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The audio output by the speakers is not exactly the same as the audio signal coming from the computer, and it also is delayed.

The proper way is to have a second microphone in front of the speaker recording it at the same time as the other mic records your voice, then subtract the speaker audio.

It also needs to be the exact same microphone recording both sources.

This is basically how "noise cancelling" microphones work.

It still sounds weird though, even with good mics, so it is always better to use closed back headphones or a mic that is very close to your mouth that doesn't pick up much of the speaker audio (or open back headphone audio).

That's why I said directly using the speaker output might not work that well in practice. Theoretically, if microphones were perfect, it would. But they're not. Also, if you didn't care about your microphone's sound quality, then you could also opt for just using speaker output.

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Thank you.

Your welcome, you might want to look at a usb DAC. It will make mixing your sound levels easier if you get one with knobs.

Edit:

Just search USB DAC on Amazon.