Can't get to BIOS / edit fan curve

Imbellis
Go to solution Solved by MadModder,

If resetting the CMOS doesn't work, you could disconnect the hard drive that the OS is on. Once you get into the bios, I would ferret around a bit and see if you can figure out why spamming delete didn't work.

I'm on windows 10 - and am trying to get to bios to change the curve of case fan.

The "Press button to open BIOS" comes up for a second, but if I press it nothing happens.

Quick boot is off, I've tried going through recovery (Advanced Startup) but the menu doesn't have the option to go to BIOS.

As for editing fan curve, I can't get SpeedFan or OHM to work. If you guys know of any other programs to try that would be great.

Thanks.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Are you spamming the key to get into the bios? --because you should be.

Have you tried taking a stick of ram out before booting? A change in memory configuration will usually bring up the option to configure your motherboard settings. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Are you spamming the key to get into the bios? --because you should be.

Have you tried taking a stick of ram out before booting? A change in memory configuration will usually bring up the option to configure your motherboard settings. 

I've tried spamming keys, holding 'em down, changing keyboards, etc.

I haven't taken RAM out yet, but I guess I'll try if nothing else works.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

what mother board? asus boards have driect key. a place to put a button (or short with screwdriver) that sends you directly to the bios from turned off

Just now, tekgeek1205 said:

what mother board? asus boards have driect key. a place to put a button (or short with screwdriver) that sends you directly to the bios from turned off

I have a GA-AB350N.

If resetting the CMOS doesn't work, you could disconnect the hard drive that the OS is on. Once you get into the bios, I would ferret around a bit and see if you can figure out why spamming delete didn't work.

Edited by MadModder
additional info

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

21 minutes ago, MadModder said:

I DC'd the HD and it booted to BIOS.

I think that clicking delete didn't work because the boot setting was on "ultra fast".

A bit paradoxical though that if you set it to "ultra fast", you can't load back up the BIOS to change it back to normal.

I'm glad that got you in :). It is odd that there isn't some type of backdoor available that get's you around the ultra fast setting. It's kind of like having an "on/off" switch that once turned on, disables the ability to turn in off. :S

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."