i9-7980XE: Overclocked to run all 18 cores beyond 6 GHz

3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Not sure if this is sarcasm or you think this is the only forum on the internet right here...

Oh please just get my point, one thing is a review on the i9 overclocking capacity that can be useful to costumers, another thing is doing the complete unrealistic LN2 scenario, if this article pleases you then by all means don't let me get in the way, I just don't see the practical use of it as I stated, now that doesn't mean just because you liked knowing that under LN2 the i9 can run for a bit on 6.1ghz that you have to attack me to enjoy the content do you?

I by all means wish you to enjoy it and give the article the purpose I couldn't give it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The 7980XE is a beast.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

Interesting to see 18 cores hauling that fast.  I wonder if they did some runs under water cooling.  The chip would not run that fast, but be very nice if 18 cores could stay above 4.5 while under water cooling.

Still, not as crazy as the peeps that where taking 9800 GPUs and pushing those way beyond limits by attaching extra boards and caps to the cards.  Now that was very interesting stuff to watch.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

8 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

So if you think this was the only good analogy and you think LN2 OC'ing is not worth the news in a TECH FORUM then you also think that extreme sports and olympics aren't worth the news?

Did I say that? Way to completely take my statement out of context and grossly exaggerate it. Quite frankly there isn't anything impressive about LN2 overclocking to me, other than the modification of the power delivery. It DOES NOT push the industry forward nearly in the same way F1 racing did for automobiles.

Sure some people may find it fun, but I don't. Am I not allowed to have a different opinion? If you like LN2 overclocking good for you. I still don't see how this is news because it doesn't make Intel go out an engineer a new architecture based on how the cores OC'd on LN2, but hey maybe you know something that I don't. Nothing wrong with being an enthusiast.

Side note there are some Olympic "sports" that are really silly (e.g. curling), I hope we can at least agree on that. There are some "extreme" sports that also boggle my mind, but w/e different strokes just like this scenario.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

28 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Oh yes people can do it just fine, nobody needs to justify how they spend their legally obtained money  xD  I just don't see why this is news worthy [:

Nobody makes a car news articles for people on drag races pushing engines to the breaking limit after all...

Because people want to see this.

It's literally tech p0rn. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that it's not newsworthy when it's the holy grail for techies(biggest baddest pieces of hardware running as fast as possible).

I question your techie status if you truly don't care about seeing gnarly OC records.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

57 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

How can you compete when its a dice roll on how lucky you are with your die?

He bins 25 or so chips before he attempts a record btw 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

11 minutes ago, dexT said:

Alls yalls h8rz slow AF :D

Up your game little boi.

latest?cb=20170712064821

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

It's not practical for anything other than people do it for enjoyment. They don't have to have a reason to other than people enjoy pushing hardware to the ultimate limit. Think of top fuel drag racing, they build a machine to go a fast as they can for 1000m (they don't actually go a full 1/4mile anymore) just to fry the motor and spend thirty minutes to entirely tear it down an rebuild it. It's a rush to push something to the limits.

Did you mean to say 100m? as 1000m is approx 5/8 Mile, so more than a 1/4 :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

Did you mean to say 100m? as 1000m is approx 5/8 Mile, so more than a 1/4 :D

Oops I meant feet. Phone auto corrected to meters for some reason.

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I question your techie status if you truly don't care about seeing gnarly OC records.

Because they serve no meaningful purpose.  You spend nearly as much on the cooling system (maybe even more) as the $2k processor, just to void the warranty and run it for a brief period of time at an otherwise unattainable OC.  It's not even viable to run the system that way for any extended period of time, due to the nature of the cooling system used.

One doesn't even have to care about overclocking at all to be a "techie", so your narrow view of what qualifies is irrelevant.

Ok I'm thoroughly impressed by this with my push to the limits enthusiast side, but now I want to see something a little more "practical" like phase change.

34 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Because they serve no meaningful purpose.  You spend nearly as much on the cooling system (maybe even more) as the $2k processor, just to void the warranty and run it for a brief period of time at an otherwise unattainable OC.  It's not even viable to run the system that way for any extended period of time, due to the nature of the cooling system used.

One doesn't even have to care about overclocking at all to be a "techie", so your narrow view of what qualifies is irrelevant.

My comment was in direct response to this not being "newsworthy", which it most certainly is and you definitely don't speak for the majority of tech enthusiasts because this is what excites them. If you don't believe go look up the views on monster overclocks of the most expensive hardware and compare it to the views on consumer grade parts with air cooling.

It's a good thing that you don't get to choose what is relevant because I don't know a single tech enthusiast who doesn't want to see the best pushed to the absolute limit. You can proclaim yourself a tech enthusiast all you wan't but not caring about pushing the highest end tech to the next level is simply ignorance.

So by all means continue to call my opinion irrelevant, I could care less because I know without a doubt that the majority shares my opinion.

32 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Ok I'm thoroughly impressed by this with my push to the limits enthusiast side, but now I want to see something a little more "practical" like phase change.

you'll probably get 5.0GHz+ ez on phase. aio water is good for 4.6-4.8

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

8 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

My comment was in direct response to this not being "newsworthy"

And my comment was in direct response to your attempted refutation of someone's "techie" status, because they disagree about the relevancy of unrealistic overclock situations.

8 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

So by all means continue to call my opinion irrelevant, I could care less because I know without a doubt that the majority shares my opinion.

59c95129f2d19_FollowMasses.jpg.a7e73108fe0ffc0aac9706f26a22c41a.jpg

*EDIT*
Also, "could care less" means you do care (even if just a little).

Honestly, if you need to use liquid nitrogen it doesn't really count unless it's automated. If it requires the person to pour it on themselves then who cares?

1 minute ago, scighera2 said:

Honestly, if you need to use liquid nitrogen it doesn't really count unless it's automated. If it requires the person to pour it on themselves then who cares?

What? There's quite a lot of skill for controlling pot temperatures. Too cold of a pot and you could encounter cold bug (need to start again) Too warm a pot then instability occurs. 

Ah feck it's LTT of course nobody gets it.......

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, scighera2 said:

Been saying this for years.  LN2 is a useless cooling method and doesn't correlate at all to 24/7 overclocking potential.  I'd be perfectly fine seeing all these LN2 competitions killed off unless someone makes a close loop recirculating LN2 loop.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

What? There's quite a lot of skill for controlling pot temperatures. Too cold of a pot and you could encounter cold bug (need to start again) Too warm a pot then instability occurs. 

Ah feck it's LTT of course nobody gets it.......

Because it's dumb. It can't be used in the real world so who cares about it?
Not unless you hire some person to pour Nitrogen into your PC while you game or do tasks.

6 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I don't know a single tech enthusiast who doesn't want to see the best pushed to the absolute limit. You can proclaim yourself a tech enthusiast all you wan't but not caring about pushing the highest end tech to the next level is simply ignorance.

Huh? That a pretty ridiculous statement to make. I love technology, but LN2 OC, Phase Change, and what not doesn't excite me in any way. Show me a super computer that uses sick cooling setup and actually does something meaningful then yeah I find that stuff cool.

Doesn't make me any less of an enthusiast. That's like saying you're not into sports because you don't like baseball but like basketball and football instead. There more to technology or even CPUs than overclocking especially a completely non practical solution. Just because someone doesn't fall into your definition of enthusiast doesn't mean they aren't.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

1 hour ago, scighera2 said:

Because it's dumb. It can't be used in the real world so who cares about it?
Not unless you hire some person to pour Nitrogen into your PC while you game or do tasks.

You're a hoot. "it can't be used in the real world so who cares" 

Jesus Christ man, i'm dying xDxDxD 

Keep it up. 

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

You're a hoot. "it can't be used in the real world so who cares" 

Jesus Christ man, i'm dying xDxDxD 

Keep it up. 

No need to get so salty and defensive over someone else's overclock.