der8auer: 8x Samsung 960 Pro m.2 NVMe in RAID-0 with THREADRIPPER

German professional overclocker Roman 'der8auer' Bauer managed to configure a THREADRIPPER build with eight SSDs in RAID-0 through two AMD HyperCards with 4x Samsung 960 Pro m.2 NMVe SSDs each on an ASUS X399 Zenith Extreme MoBo, transformed into a four Terabyte RAID with up to 27 Gigabyte (!) read speeds.

59c8ff513afc1_Bildschirmfoto2017-09-25um15_01_57.thumb.png.dd101496602e1ebaa011a7e157539291.png

Just now, ignaloidas said:

TELL ME WHAT?

WHAT

That is disgusting.

Now I'm not even excited to try NVMe raid when I get home lol.

Cough. Asus Hyper Card ;)

I have a feeling I don't want to know how much that cost, but would definitely want to have that.

Best part is he still has more than 16 PCI-E lanes for graphics, unlike X299.

How stupid is it to run this in an everyday system with no important data on it?

And what can take advantage of this? ^^

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

How stupid is it to run this in an everyday system with no important data on it?

getting GTA V load times down to 5 min mark :^)

well a 2-4 NVME raid would be useful for RAW 8k video editing. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Only 24 more SSDs until you have read / write speed comparable to DDR4 RAM! :D

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

9 minutes ago, Kukielka said:

Only 24 more SSDs until you have read / write speed comparable to DDR4 RAM! :D

only 24 more RAM sticks until you get same capacity comparable to those SSDs. roughly.

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

only 24 more RAM sticks until you get same capacity comparable to those SSDs. roughly.

8 Dims of 128GB DDR4, 8 x 960 EVO 1TB drives for a "Gaming" PC

Boots Windows in 0.1 Sec

Loads games in 0.1 Sec

Loads GTA V in 5 min

6 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Boots Windows in 0.1 Sec

Loads games in 0.1 Sec

Loads GTA V in 5 min

You are doing storage right when you have to OC your RAM and CPU just to take advantage of it's maximum performance!  :D

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You are doing storage right when you have to OC your RAM and CPU just to take advantage of it's maximum performance!  :D

Also if you think about it, this test really utilizes IF. I wounder if you can see performance differences if you spread out the drives to all the CCXs or something.

This should be bootable when BIO's update to support it supposedly.

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Also if you think about it, this test really utilizes IF. I wounder if you can see performance differences if you spread out the drives to all the dies or something.

This should be bootable when BIO's update to support it supposedly.

If you look at the individual rated sustained read/write (3200/1900) for each 860 Evo, the test setup is very close to theoretical max so I doubt you'd gain anymore than der8auer was able to pull off.  

One thing is for sure, the threads handling data transfer damn sure won't be used for anything else.  xD

I would hope that it will one day be bootable as that's the only storage I care about.  Everything else is moved over the network for me.

40 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

This statement coming from the guy that says LN2 cooling is tech news worthy and pushes the limit of technology while the SAME dude straps a bunch of drives together for insane non-practical speeds now has a problem with it?  You are not consistent are you

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

This statement coming from the guy that says LN2 cooling is tech news worthy and pushes the limit of technology while the SAME dude straps a bunch of drives together for insane non-practical speeds now has a problem with it?  You are not consistent are you

Huh? Where do I say I have a problem with this? I was considering it myself so I asked how stupid that would be. You can't read, can you? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

29 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

The video mentioned an upcoming TR BIOS that allows what he's doing by having an option to bifurcate two of the x16 slots into multiple x4 links.

All I can think of is EIGHT X4 GPUS AND MAYBE ONE MORE X16 ONE MORE X8 ONE MORE X4. MULTI GPU CROSS-FOREST-FIRE

20 x4 GPU's

Also the video is now pull off YouTube.

Not watched video, was single thread (QD1) 4k random read tested at all? I think if it was replaced by Optane modules (even consumer ones), that would give something to talk about.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Boots Windows in 0.1 Sec

Loads games in 0.1 Sec

Loads GTA V in 5 min

Play through the entire Steam games library in 1 hour xD

well this is insanity, i like it. now someone find a usecase that a consumer might have for this lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

27 GB/s is actually pretty close to DDR4 already.

in fact it's higher than most... only the top of the line DDR4-3000+ systems will outpace it

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.