Am I Being Hacked?

Massimo480

Hello Linus Tech Tips Community & how is everybody doing!

I had my Twitter account sign on in LA and then in GA, and after the first time I reset my password, and then it signed on in GA. I have a ton of different accounts, software, and bank accounts, etc., and I am starting to get worried that the Windows installation .ISO that I used may be fishy. 

I use Malwarebytes Premium and have been very happy with it, but of course no program is perfect, I understand that. 

Other than using netstat and looking at connections, what other methods exist to determine whether I'm being observed by a remote user? Is there any particular Software that deals with checking Windows 10 for anything fishy?

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Massimo480 said:

[...] , and I am starting to get worried that the Windows installation .ISO that I used may be fishy. [...]

why would it be?  You downloaded it directly from Microsoft, or used a retail disk didn't you?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

why would it be?  You downloaded it directly from Microsoft, or used a retail disk didn't you?

No, I used someone's installation flash drive, and I am not aware where they got it from. 

Any programs you could recommend or firewalls that could give me great control over incoming/outgoing connections? 

Just now, Massimo480 said:

No, I used someone's installation flash drive, and I am not aware where they got it from. 

Any programs you could recommend or firewalls that could give me great control over incoming/outgoing connections? 

If you really think you're being watched, change all your passwords on another device, one known to be clean, and maybe even reinstall to be sure

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you really think you're being watched, change all your passwords on another device, one known to be clean, and maybe even reinstall to be sure

Thank you for the advice. I thought about that, but I have so many applications to re-install, the headache would be tremendous. 

When entering "netstat" into command prompt, how should I go about all the IP's/connections and finding out what is okay and what may be a threat? 

5 minutes ago, Massimo480 said:

Best option would be just disconnect from the internet, boot into safe mode, run a full system scan, move any files you want to keep onto an external drive, then wipe your system clean and do a fresh install of Windows from a trusted source.

You can download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft's website for free here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Turn on 2-Factor-Authentication on every service that you possibly can, and make sure you reset your passwords to something secure on a known clean device. Start with your email address(es) as they're quite powerful in terms of gaining access to someone's accounts, then work your way out from there.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you're concerned that someone has a backdoor pass into your system, really just get a flash drive, download the install media from microsoft and do a clean install. If it was an altered win 10 installer it's unlikely that they corrupted the data files you've created since installing the OS so save anything important, make a list of anything you want to reinstall (maybe even download installers so you can get everything set up before connecting to the web) honestly when compared to having all your things hacked and dealing with that a clean install is practically nothing

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

19 minutes ago, Massimo480 said:

From this I assume you don't actually own a licensed copy of windows. Are you sure your "friend", or whoever/where ever he got it from isn't the culprit? I would suggest purchasing a licensed copy, and doing a fresh install.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

1 minute ago, MadModder said:

From this I assume you don't actually own a licensed copy of windows. Are you sure your "friend", or whoever/where ever he got it from isn't the culprit? I would suggest purchasing a licensed copy, and doing a fresh install.

I had a legit copy on my other PC, but I built a new build, and I couldn't get my key to work on the new build. 

I do have some pirated Software, not ashamed to admit that. 

A lot of great advice but everyone is avoiding the main question, how to check if you think you are being monitored.

Yes, the solution to be sure is to reinstall but that's not what is being asked.

I don't have any real input to give sorry, but I hate when people are giving solutions to other problems.

Well it's one thing when someone tries to break in uninvited, but other entirely when the OS itself sends stuff out from the network due to a virus or malign code in iso etc. To check, connect another PC to the network, read up on sniffers, and monitor your traffic, see if your pc sends info somewhere where it's not supposed to go (it's ok to ask microsoft to sync clock or skype etc., it's not ok to sent encrypted traffic to a private destination to antarctica. unless you have some shady deals with penguins)

10 hours ago, Massimo480 said:

I had a legit copy on my other PC, but I built a new build, and I couldn't get my key to work on the new build. 

I do have some pirated Software, not ashamed to admit that. 

If you couldn't get the key to work then it must still be unactivated since regardless of your installation media it will have to go through that process, unless the PC already has a key built in or known to MS.