AMD Ryzen 7 1700X/1800X or Ryzen Threadripper 1900X

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a PC with gaming and possible some streaming in mind and I am quite torn what CPU to pick. I have been an intel i5 user for the longest time but from what I've read, the new AMD processors have a lot more value for money. So now, I am torn between the AMD Ryzen 7, either 1700x or 1800x against the entry level Threadripper 1900x. Will there be a strong benefit for me to spend more on the entry level Threadripper 1900x or should I just stay on the Ryzen 7 line? Do i really need the 64PCI-E lanes and Quad channel for gaming and casual streaming? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Carlos

3 minutes ago, carlosmunoz08 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a PC with gaming and possible some streaming in mind and I am quite torn what CPU to pick. I have been an intel i5 user for the longest time but from what I've read, the new AMD processors have a lot more value for money. So now, I am torn between the AMD Ryzen 7, either 1700x or 1800x against the entry level Threadripper 1900x. Will there be a strong benefit for me to spend more on the entry level Threadripper 1900x or should I just stay on the Ryzen 7 line? Do i really need the 64PCI-E lanes and Quad channel for gaming and casual streaming? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Carlos

IF its just casula streaming you might as well get a Ryzen 5

Main Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6GHz, Stock Cooler

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B350 F Gaming motherboard

RAM: 32GB(4x8GB) Team T-FORCE Night Hawk RGB 3000MHz DDR4

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1060 6GB

STORAGE: 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 240GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD

CASE: Cougar Turret RGB

PSU: CoolerMaster GX550W CM Storm

Monitor: Samsung Oddessy G6 27" 1440p, Viewsonic VX2455 144Hz

Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse

Keyboard: ASUS Flare II Animate

Headphones: HyperX Cloud Alpha S Black

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast S

WIFI: ASUS PCE-AC55BT

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/johnno12/saved/gKgD23

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 15-5000

CPU: i5-8250U Quadcore with hypertheading

GPU: AMD Radeon 540 4GB Hybrid Graphics

Storage: Micron 1100 SATA 256GB SSD

Threadripper is beyond overkill for your desired usage.

The Ryzen 1700 or 1700X are what you should be looking at. The 1700X if you don't want to overclock, or the 1700 if you do.

If you are on a tighter budget, then go for the 1600.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

2 minutes ago, carlosmunoz08 said:

Will there be a strong benefit for me to spend more on the entry level Threadripper 1900x or should I just stay on the Ryzen 7 line?

I would Stick to Ryzen 7 for your used case

What are your thoughts?

No you don't unless you are heavy into mining PCI Lanes are generally no factor to consider

Do i really need the 64PCI-E lanes and Quad channel for gaming and casual streaming?

those above :-)

15 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Agreed, but there's something you overlooked. 

I want you to remember back to when Intel released X58. Back then people said "X58 is completely overkill for gaming, stick with your core 2 quad CPU". Now let's fast forward almost 10 years and X58 is not considered a "good" platform for gaming and streaming. Not great but still usable for said purposes. 

If back then you had chosen to buy a core 2 quad instead of jumping on the X58 bandwagon, you probably would've had to perform upgrades by now. If you had jumped on X58 on the other hand, you can buy cheap gen 1 i7 CPUs and overclock them in the used market and take advantage of cheap DDR3. In fact to this day there are still people on X58, but there are very few people still running a core 2 quad based PC today. 

What I am saying is today while HEDT platforms seem like overkill, in 5 years they won't be. They will then be about as powerful as the mainstream platforms and with the initial investment, can actually be cheaper over time since you don't have to constantly buy new hardware to get adequate performance. 

To OP: Unlike others here I would actually recommend threadripper. The opportunity to upgrade to a 16 core CPU later on will be a valuable asset along with the 8 slots for additional RAM. As long as you hold onto the platform for several years, you will actually spend less in the long run compared to plain old ryzen.

Very well said. Will the price difference today be compensated by the difference in the life of the system. I like that! Something to think about. 

12 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

snip

AMD has committed to supporting the am4 socket until at least 2020, so there'll be 2-3 more am4 cpu generations, when's the last time intel went 3-4 cpu gens on the same socket?

OP as stated before get a 1700 and a good cooler if you're willing to do the OC yourself, or get a 1700 if you don't want to overclock yourself, 1800x if that and you just want to throw money at it for speed. 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

29 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Agreed, but there's something you overlooked. 

I want you to remember back to when Intel released X58. Back then people said "X58 is completely overkill for gaming, stick with your core 2 quad CPU". Now let's fast forward almost 10 years and X58 is not considered a "good" platform for gaming and streaming. Not great but still usable for said purposes. 

If back then you had chosen to buy a core 2 quad instead of jumping on the X58 bandwagon, you probably would've had to perform upgrades by now. If you had jumped on X58 on the other hand, you can buy cheap gen 1 i7 CPUs and overclock them in the used market and take advantage of cheap DDR3. In fact to this day there are still people on X58, but there are very few people still running a core 2 quad based PC today. 

What I am saying is today while HEDT platforms seem like overkill, in 5 years they won't be. They will then be about as powerful as the mainstream platforms and with the initial investment, can actually be cheaper over time since you don't have to constantly buy new hardware to get adequate performance. 

To OP: Unlike others here I would actually recommend threadripper. The opportunity to upgrade to a 16 core CPU later on will be a valuable asset along with the 8 slots for additional RAM. As long as you hold onto the platform for several years, you will actually spend less in the long run compared to plain old ryzen.

When AM4 has just as long of a lifespan as TR4, that point is moot. AMD =/= Intel. 

If OP were doing heavier workloads like high resolution video editing or daily streaming with high res/bitrate, then sure I'd advise OP to go for Threadripper.

But he's not. Therefore AM4 provides the better value. Threadripper's reduced performance in games was not even brought up either.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

I recomend getting either a VERY solid am4 mobo like the asus CH6 and an r5/r6 with Lans to get a zen3 r7 down the line (40% ipc improvement, higher OC)  

Or get a 1900X and a top end TR4 board and get a 32c TR4++ in 3 or 4 years with the same improvements as ryzen 3

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Thanks for the replies everyone. Another question if I do choose to go with Ryzen 7 1700X, what would you say is a good mobo to go along?

8 minutes ago, carlosmunoz08 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Another question if I do choose to go with Ryzen 7 1700X, what would you say is a good mobo to go along?

Asus Prime X370 Pro if you are on budget.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

13 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Asus Prime X370 Pro if you are on budget.

Considering TR4 is an option I'd say the CH6 is worth it to spend the extra for that level of quality over 3-4 years.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I would NOT get an entry level Threadripper for this unless you get the 1950X.

I was in the same boat until I learned:

1900X = 2 Ryzen 3 Dies strapped together via Infinity Fabric

1920X = 2 Ryzen 5 Dies strapped together via Infinity Fabric

1950X = 2 Ryzen 3 Dies strapped together via Infinity Fabric

There are also weird issues you can encounter when gaming, which actually gives you worse performance than if you just got a Ryzen 7.

I can run OBS Studio and game with no problems with my OC Ryzen 7 1700.

You have 24 lanes with the X370 chipset.

In my setup:

16 lanes for GPU

4 Lanes for M.2

4 Lanes for Misc. other slots and typical I/O.

I will be honest and state that I am unsure of how the remaining are divided up, but I will say that if you aren't running M.2, then you shouldn't be thinking about your PCI-E Lane usage.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

On 9/22/2017 at 1:17 AM, Jon Jon said:

I would NOT get an entry level Threadripper for this unless you get the 1950X.

I was in the same boat until I learned:

1900X = 2 Ryzen 3 Dies strapped together via Infinity Fabric

1920X = 2 Ryzen 5 Dies strapped together via Infinity Fabric

1950X = 2 Ryzen 3 Dies strapped together via Infinity Fabric

There are also weird issues you can encounter when gaming, which actually gives you worse performance than if you just got a Ryzen 7.

I can run OBS Studio and game with no problems with my OC Ryzen 7 1700.

You have 24 lanes with the X370 chipset.

In my setup:

16 lanes for GPU

4 Lanes for M.2

4 Lanes for Misc. other slots and typical I/O.

I will be honest and state that I am unsure of how the remaining are divided up, but I will say that if you aren't running M.2, then you shouldn't be thinking about your PCI-E Lane usage.

Okay, honestly i was lost on the dies part. So you reckon i can stream 720p60fps on a stand alone ryzen 1700x? Or should i just get a capture card and use my current i5 rig for the encoding? I'm pretty new to this so forgive me if what I say is inaccurate.

Just now, carlosmunoz08 said:

Okay, honestly i was lost on the dies part. So you reckon i can stream 720p60fps on a stand alone ryzen 1700x? Or should i just get a capture card and use my current i5 rig for the encoding? I'm pretty new to this so forgive me if what I say is inaccurate.

1700X should be okay even for 1080P60fps streaming

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

38 minutes ago, carlosmunoz08 said:

The Threadripper models are not true 8C, 12C, and 16C CPUs.

They are just as stated above, connected via the infinity fabric.

It is worth mentioning, that they are in the top 5% of binned dies from each respective class.

However, because of this, they have weird issues in gaming and primarily only benefit you if you are using the box solely for content creation (and I would argue, more so as a GPU render farm since the only way I can see you utilizing all 64 PCI-E lanes is to have 4 16X video cards in parallel rendering tasks).

There is a "game mode" for Threadripper, which simply disables one of the two dies, but then you are just getting that performance in game to help accomodate for the lack of support for it.

So if you got the 1900X, for gaming, it's like you got a Ryzen 3.

The 1920X and 1950X are far better since they are two of the best binned Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 dies strapped together.

I nearly made the SAME decision to go with the 1900X, thinking it was just a true 8C/16T CPU with 64 PCI-E lanes (I was thinking longevitiy), but then once I read about the gaming issues, I decided that the total upfront cost isn't worth it for me as Ryzen 7 with it's full 24 PCI-E lanes on the X370 chipset is plenty for me, especially in terms of longevity.

Now, when it comes to capture cards, I will link you to my PSA regarding the Elgato HD 60 Pro:

However, you need to know that this won't act as a side H.264 encoder. I tried researching that for use with my PLEX server and what not to no avail.

I game at ultra wide resolutions, so I understand that I would need to sacrifice that to record with this.

You can daisy chain two HDMI cables (one into the card, and then out out to your monitor) if you want to record, but even then, you need to only be outputting the supported resolutions (720P30, 720P60, 1080P30, and 1080P60).

I use things like freesync and what not when gaming, so that isn't ideal for me.

It's also not beneficial since, an OC'ed Ryzen 7 tears through both without issue ;)

Aside from that, it may be wise to toy around with NVIDIA Shadow Play or AMD Re-Live. Those are their respective built in game recording and streaming utilities for the cards.

However, where is the fun in that? You are buying an 8C/16T CPU. USE IT! :) 

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

6 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

It is worth mentioning, that they are in the top 5% of binned dies from each respective class.

However, because of this, they have weird issues in gaming and primarily only benefit you if you are using the box solely for content creation (and I would argue, more so as a GPU render farm since the only way I can see you utilizing all 64 PCI-E lanes is to have 4 16X video cards in parallel rendering tasks).

There is a "game mode" for Threadripper, which simply disables one of the two dies, but then you are just getting that performance in game to help accomodate for the lack of support for it.

The 1920X and 1950X are far better since they are two of the best binned Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 dies strapped together.

I nearly made the SAME decision to go with the 1900X, thinking it was just a true 8C/16T CPU with 64 PCI-E lanes (I was thinking longevitiy), but then once I read about the gaming issues, I decided that the total upfront cost isn't worth it for me as Ryzen 7 with it's full 24 PCI-E lanes on the X370 chipset is plenty for me, especially in terms of longevity.

Now, when it comes to capture cards, I will link you to my PSA regarding the Elgato HD 60 Pro:

However, you need to know that this won't act as a side H.264 encoder. I tried researching that for use with my PLEX server and what not to no avail.

I game at ultra wide resolutions, so I understand that I would need to sacrifice that to record with this.

You can daisy chain two HDMI cables (one into the card, and then out out to your monitor) if you want to record, but even then, you need to only be outputting the supported resolutions (720P30, 720P60, 1080P30, and 1080P60).

I use things like freesync and what not when gaming, so that isn't ideal for me.

It's also not beneficial since, an OC'ed Ryzen 7 tears through both without issue ;)

Aside from that, it may be wise to toy around with NVIDIA Shadow Play or AMD Re-Live. Those are their respective built in game recording and streaming utilities for the cards.

Hi Jon,

Appreciate the inputs! Thanks!

13 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

Hi Jon,

Appreciate the inputs! Thanks!

Hi everyone, I just want to say thanks for sharing your ideas. I'm (most probably) going for the Ryzen 1700x. Again, super thanks to everyone who helped me on this topic :)

Cheers!

• 1 year later...