psu power cord somewhat loose

tautvydas

my new psu was installed on my old PC and there is one thing that bothers me about it, whenever i connected psu power cord (one that goes into the wall) i noticed that it was holding on sort of weak and if i would tilt it down it would do so freely now i have my cable on top of case so it would not weight it down and tilt it a bit

should i be concerned about this or is it normal ? (PSU Corsair CX145)

20170919_162630.jpg?width=334&height=59320170919_162637.jpg?width=334&height=593

Are you saying the port on the power supply is loose?

From that photo it looks like that power cable isn't pushed in all of the way.

7 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Are you saying the port on the power supply is loose?

From that photo it looks like that power cable isn't pushed in all of the way.

i mean yeah i try to force it a bit deeper but it just wont budge in any further its weird

5 minutes ago, tautvydas said:

i mean yeah i try to force it a bit deeper but it just wont budge in any further its weird

The 'plug' might be a little too big then as after all, QC on these type of cables won't be that strict. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

it's normal. it is all the way in, but i agree with you that it looks a bit strange

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

The 'plug' might be a little too big then as after all, QC on these type of cables won't be that strict. 

okay then i dont want to use my old psu cable because psu fried with that thing so i'm not sure how safe that could be, also is it safe to leave my computer running like this i have it booted up and doing some basic stuff, no heavy load

If the actual port on the supply is loose I would send it back. That port shouldn't move at all. 

If it is just the plug wont go in all of the way I would unplug it and compare the depth of the port to the depth that is it going in just to make sure it is going in as far as it can. If it is going in all of the way then I guess I would just leave it along, as long as it doesn't cause any problem. You could always try another cable if you have a spare one laying around or if your monitor power cable uses the same cable.

Just now, tautvydas said:

okay then i dont want to use my old psu cable because psu fried with that thing so i'm not sure how safe that could be, also is it safe to leave my computer running like this i have it booted up and doing some basic stuff, no heavy load

As long as the contact points are making firm, proper contacts then it will be fine. 

Unless there's something very wrong with that kettle lead, it should not fry a PSU. Are you sure it wasn't just a crap PSU or you had a power surge? 

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

If the actual port on the supply is loose I would send it back. That port shouldn't move at all. 

Well a little bit of (if not some) movement should be expected as its plastic on plastic plus QC on these type of parts usually isn't the strictest. 

4 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

If it is just the plug wont go in all of the way I would unplug it and compare the depth of the port to the depth that is it going in just to make sure it is going in as far as it can. If it is going in all of the way then I guess I would just leave it along, as long as it doesn't cause any problem. You could always try another cable if you have a spare one laying around or if your monitor power cable uses the same cable.

i tried to plug in old psu calbe (without powering on) it held a little better i think ? but it was basiclly same, guess i will try with monitors cable to see if it is making any difference, might also mesure depth of it

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

As long as the contact points are making firm, proper contacts then it will be fine. 

Unless there's something very wrong with that kettle lead, it should not fry a PSU. Are you sure it wasn't just a crap PSU or you had a power surge? 

Well a little bit of (if not some) movement should be expected as its plastic on plastic plus QC on these type of parts usually isn't the strictest. 

it fried because it outlived its usefulness and was under heavy load and probably overheated when it lay'd down spark show, old psu fan was not spinning for 3 years by that point so i'm not that surprised

12 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

well just tried it with monitor cable and well it held in WAY better so i'm guessing its the cable end that is crappy, guess i'll go buy the cable tomorrow sine they are pretty cheap if i'm correct

@Mr.Meerkat
there should be no problem if i use my monitors cable with power supply ? because i would rather have monitors plug that might be a little wiggly instead my computer its same 16A/250V -> 10V/250V cable

47 minutes ago, tautvydas said:

well just tried it with monitor cable and well it held in WAY better so i'm guessing its the cable end that is crappy, guess i'll go buy the cable tomorrow sine they are pretty cheap if i'm correct

Yep

29 minutes ago, tautvydas said:

@Mr.Meerkat
there should be no problem if i use my monitors cable with power supply ? because i would rather have monitors plug that might be a little wiggly instead my computer its same 16A/250V -> 10V/250V cable

Should be fine. As long as cable can supply enough power (i.e. is rated higher than the total/maximum power consumption, including the power lost due to PSU efficiency), it will be perfectly fine. I actually mix and match cables with my PC and monitors as all of them are 230V/13A cables :D 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Yep

Should be fine. As long as cable can supply enough power (i.e. is rated higher than the total/maximum power consumption, including the power lost due to PSU efficiency), it will be perfectly fine. I actually mix and match cables with my PC and monitors as all of them are 230V/13A cables :D 

thanks for reply, gonna get another cable tomorrow anyway since might need it for something in the future anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯