Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Center channel speaker sounds very localized

Thinking about getting rid of my center and just sticking with stereo. It just sounds to localized, everytime someone speaks I know it's coming out the speaker rather than the screen whereas with stereo my speaker tweeters match the center of my TV so it sounds more natural. Is there anything I can do about this? 

54 minutes ago, Profoundsoup said:

Thinking about getting rid of my center and just sticking with stereo. It just sounds to localized, everytime someone speaks I know it's coming out the speaker rather than the screen whereas with stereo my speaker tweeters match the center of my TV so it sounds more natural. Is there anything I can do about this? 

There is nothing easy or simple you can do about this. Are you running all this from a receiver? If so, then you can disable the center channel and the front left and right will function as a phantom center (dialog will be diverted to both front speakers).

If you are doing all of this at your PC with Realtek software... your results are going to be wildly varying.

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

There is nothing easy or simple you can do about this. Are you running all this from a receiver? If so, then you can disable the center channel and the front left and right will function as a phantom center (dialog will be diverted to both front speakers).

If you are doing all of this at your PC with Realtek software... your results are going to be wildly varying.

Its for my home theater setup. Ive had my center for a while but ive been going back and forth between stereo only and 3.1 lately. Im not really liking how much of the center speaker dialog is localized. Anytime someone speaks I know EXACTLY where the sound comes from instead of sounding like its right from the characters mouth if that makes sense. 

I know exactly what you're talking about. This is a bigger problem the bigger your screen gets. Your solution of using a "phantom center" is the best, quick, and free alternative.

One thing you can try is to tilt your center speaker upward (using foam or something beneath it) so that it sounds like it is producing the dialog from a slightly higher level. This is what I do. It's not perfect but it works okay.

If you're using a projector, then you can use an acoustically transparent screen material and place the center speaker in the middle of your screen and angled down to your seating position. This is ideal, but it's very limited. My center channel is 16 inches deep. I don't have that much space behind my screen. As far as I understand, this is what movie theaters do.

i just don't use a center, works fine. But that's mostly because i did not want to shell out any more money.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."