Google Pixel 2 Announcement Coming October 4th?

DocSwag
7 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

From what I see the phone will be announced on October 4, not launched. The media outlets are getting more and more careless by the day.

Don't know if places like Ars Technica or TechCrunch use the term "launch" loosely or just incorrectly, but they describe the new iPhones as having already "launched". Maybe my understanding is wrong, but still the good sources say it's just an announcement not a release.

7 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Don't remember where I read it, but whatever I read this morning said they were making an announcement on October 4th, not releasing.

In this case, the media is probably refering to 'launch' as in a "paper launch". 

It's been a while since everyone was fully riled up about paper launches and the like, which means it's a good time to have a level-headed discussion about the topic. What is a paper launch? In general, the phrase is used to denote product announcements that explicitly compare the "new product" with other actually available products, despite the fact that the newly announced product is not actually available to consumers. We've seen a lot of this in the CPU and video card markets: 8 reviews come out on the same day touting X or Y, but it will be weeks (if not months) before the product is actually available.

https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2004/07/4039-2/

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Interesting. Hopefully it actually has a big battery, and it isn't just some form of QC...but I have a feeling it will be. It'd be pretty cool if they were using some form of USB PD, that should be able to charge the phone insanely fast.

Overall though I'm not that interested in Pixel devices. The design so far has been meh, and I'm not the hugest fan of stock Android.

8 hours ago, SeanAngelo said:

cant wait for this phone, this is the only phone I'm waiting for now before I decide which phone to get. I'm choosing between the OP5 / S8 / Note8 and Pixel (XL) 2.

hopefully they've added an sd card slot and kept the headphone jack for the Pixel 2. Please, Google.

No interest in the Huawei Mate 10 or LG V30?

8 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

unless it's gonna be cheaper than the oneplus 5 I have to give it a miss, contact is up in a short while and that phone is great specs for the price

It won't be, and frankly shouldn't be. It performs better, and will have newer features than the OP.

7 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

google's answers:

faster fast charging

more cloud

slightly better camera than last year aaaaaaaaaaaaanf joining the dual sensor fray

ai, ai everywhere

It's not getting dual cameras by most leaks, sadly.

I hope it's not faster fast charging :P Unless it's greatly, greatly reduced.

7 hours ago, sof006 said:

I think i'm the only one that disliked the Pixel. Had a lot of issues with the sound chip literally falling off the board and thus killing the phones ability to make/receive phone calls and listen to anything audio related. Phone app would just crash.

I don't like the Pixel, but that's because I'm not a fan of stock Android and the design was insanely bland.

Having issues with one unit shouldn't make you hate them; every product has some bad apples.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Pick one, pyo.

Drak3 also dislikes it, pyo.

I don't think you're using pyo correctly :P

2 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

-snip-

Also, this is clearly a response to iPhone 8 and I feel like there's  a chance this might be a rushed product. 

Except for the fact this is when they usually release their phones. You can't exactly rush a phone to market. This is by no means a "response to the iPhone 8." 9_9

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't think you're using pyo correctly

You'd be wrong, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You'd be wrong, pyo.

Haha, either way it's irritating.
Where's that ignore switch... :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Haha, either way it's irritating.
Where's that ignore switch... :P

Okay, pyo. It was tolerable knowing you, pyo :P 

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Why doesn't my phone understand me?

I don't know about the rest of you but I ask this question literally every day. I just wish my phone would "get me" more, y'know? 

I have a few more questions for Google to answer....

Why doesn't my phone have a headphone jack?

Why does my phone record everything I say to Google Assistant and store it without notifying me?

Why doesn't my phone get more than 2 major Android updates?

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

-snip-

Not just one unit, multiple. I work in a mobile phone store and I am part of a service that sends faulty devices away for repair. One of my most common devices I see at the moment is the Pixel. Usually all for the same fault.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

No interest in the Huawei Mate 10 or LG V30?

at this moment of time, no interest. but i'll wait for the reviews of the Huawei Mate 10. The LG V30, i haven't really watched reviews of that yet so....

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

12 hours ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

Google collects enough data to make the best phone on the market. I mean, they literally know what people want lmao. 

Probably true (with the exception of stuff like CPU and gpu hardware since google can't just come in and suddenly beat Apple at it), though the question is is it worth doing? Afterall, that would cost a lot of R&D to do and not as many people would buy as those that buy iPhones.

8 hours ago, OmJo93 said:

Why doesn't my phone understand me?

I don't know about the rest of you but I ask this question literally every day. I just wish my phone would "get me" more, y'know? 

I have a few more questions for Google to answer....

Why doesn't my phone have a headphone jack?

Why does my phone record everything I say to Google Assistant and store it without notifying me?

Why doesn't my phone get more than 2 major Android updates?

I can at least answer the last one, I believe it's because of SoC vendors like Qualcomm not providing drivers or something for their SoCs after 2 years in order to try to force people to have to buy new phones, which means more sales for them. Which is why Google's Project Treble is so exciting to me, since it basically bypasses the SoC vendor and so could potentially lead to Google being able to provide more than 2 years of software updates.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I can at least answer the last one, I believe it's because of SoC vendors like Qualcomm not providing drivers or something for their SoCs after 2 years in order to try to force people to have to buy new phones, which means more sales for them. Which is why Google's Project Treble is so exciting to me, since it basically bypasses the SoC vendor and so could potentially lead to Google being able to provide more than 2 years of software updates.

That's partly true, but that doesn't prevent developers such as LineageOS from giving >2-year old phones new versions of Android.

I owned a OnePlus One (still do) and remember back when Cyangen was around and updating the device, they said Marshmallow was the last update unless Qualcomm updated the drivers for the SD 801, which they never did. Fast forward a couple years and there's already an unofficial build of LineageOS running Android O for the One. So there must be another way to do it, since it's being done?

Well ok let's see it. First one was kinda ugly and very expensive while feeling rushed. 

Also why do people still care so much about 3.5mm jack. Extending your earbuds cord by tiny bit for converter s no issue just leaving it so. I get that proper earbuds and such need to start getting released with Type-C but still. It won't happen if 3.5mm jack stays around. Need great dac and all yes definitely, great earbuds yes. To me still seems it's taking a while before it takes off to have those earbuds out. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, OmJo93 said:

That's partly true, but that doesn't prevent developers such as LineageOS from giving >2-year old phones new versions of Android.

I owned a OnePlus One (still do) and remember back when Cyangen was around and updating the device, they said Marshmallow was the last update unless Qualcomm updated the drivers for the SD 801, which they never did. Fast forward a couple years and there's already an unofficial build of LineageOS running Android O for the One. So there must be another way to do it, since it's being done?

I honestly don't know, maybe there's an unofficial way or something

4 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Well ok let's see it. First one was kinda ugly and very expensive while feeling rushed. 

Also why do people still care so much about 3.5mm jack. Extending your earbuds cord by tiny bit for converter s no issue just leaving it so. I get that proper earbuds and such need to start getting released with Type-C but still. It won't happen if 3.5mm jack stays around. Need great dac and all yes definitely, great earbuds yes. To me still seems it's taking a while before it takes off to have those earbuds out. 

Thing is:

-you can't charge while using headphones

-you have to carry the adapter around which could get lost

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I honestly don't know, maybe there's an unofficial way or something

Thing is:

-you can't charge while using headphones

-you have to carry the adapter around which could get lost

How many people and how often do they really charge from outlet while wanting to listen to music with earbuds?  I'm wondering. Maybe two ports but seems unnecessary. Could use extra space for other. 

What do you mean carry adapter? You keep it pluged on your earbuds cable. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

How many people and how often do they really charge from outlet while wanting to listen to music with earbuds?  I'm wondering. Maybe two ports but seems unnecessary. Could use extra space for other. 

What do you mean carry adapter? You keep it pluged on your earbuds cable. 

-Watching videos while charging, or perhaps with a battery pack

-But other devices don't need the adapter so you have to unplug it

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

-Watching videos while charging, or perhaps with a battery pack

-But other devices don't need the adapter so you have to unplug it

Yeah that can be the case, I guess it's more rare as they see it. Maybe someone will put two Type C ports. 

Also, really not hard unpluging the adapter. That is if you don't multiple times every day, butvwho does that with earbuds anyway. Not to mention USB Type C took off solidly and can be found on all modern hardware. 

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah that can be the case, I guess it's more rare as they see it. Maybe someone will put two Type C ports. 

Also, really not hard unpluging the adapter. That is if you don't multiple times every day, butvwho does that with earbuds anyway. Not to mention USB Type C took off solidly and can be found on all modern hardware. 

Two type Cs doesn't make that much sense :D, especially when headphone jack is smaller.

TBH I would probably be happy if there was an adapter that allows you to charge and use headphones at the same time. 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Two type Cs doesn't make that much sense :D, especially when headphone jack is smaller.

TBH I would probably be happy if there was an adapter that allows you to charge and use headphones at the same time. 

Yeah I agree makes no sense, mainly cause I'm fine with one, but it actually takes less space internally, sure outside it's a bigger hole but that's no problem and is on edge and doesn't use extra space for internals. 

I'd say probably such adapter exists. There are all kinds of things for smartphones these days so. 

24 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I sure wouldn't. 

BTW, Google was using the 3.5mm headphone jack as a selling point for the Pixel and now they are *allegedly* going to remove it?

HYPOCRITES!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I sure wouldn't. 

BTW, Google was using the 3.5mm headphone jack as a selling point for the Pixel and now they are *allegedly* going to remove it?

HYPOCRITES!

Seriously. Google ripped on Apple for getting rid of the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone 7 and now they're going to do the same thing. And it bet it won't impact their sales much either

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

cool cool cool. This will probably be my next phone as long as it isn't bad. Kinda need to get of my Nexus 6p. Great phone but it is getting old... Honestly don't care about the headphone jack, never used the one on my nexus cuz bluetooth headphones are awesome and I could never go back to wired on my phone.

On 9/14/2017 at 10:43 PM, Drak3 said:

Okay, pyo. It was tolerable knowing you, pyo :P 

omg 2Edgy5Me.

I know you're new to the pyo thing (he's only done it since this past Tuesday guys, so don't judge him too hard) so here's a minor usage correction:

Skip the period since you're already using a phrase termination, it's redundant.