Will this work? Speakers --> DAC --> TV and PC

jaypro

Current Setup: PC uses AudioEngine A2 through 3.5mm plug.  TV uses built-in speakers. TV is Panasonic P50S60 (only audio input is optical)

What I want: PC and TV both use Audioengine A2.

My proposed solution:  

1. Buy a DAC, for sake of example -> Audioengine D1 (USB port and toslink optical)

2. DAC USB port connects to PC.  DAC toslink optical input connects to TV.  DAC RCA output connects to speakers.

Will it play sounds from both the USB port and the optical port? at the same time? will i need to physically plug and unplug to change between audio sources?

Let me know if confusing, I can create a MSPaint diagram if needed.

If not just plug your tv into the back of your pc and select "listen to this device" from the control panel, and it will output and sound from your tv to the speakers as well as the audio from your pc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If not just plug your tv into the back of your pc and select "listen to this device" from the control panel, and it will output and sound from your tv to the speakers as well as the audio from your pc.

That depends if he has a optical in port on his PC or a headphone jack on his TV...

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

That depends if he has a optical in port on his PC or a headphone jack on his TV...

or a headphone, line or coaxial out on the tv.

Edit: + an optical to rca converter maybe cheaper than a usb dac with optical in.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

or a headphone, line or coaxial out on the tv.

If he doesn't have a coaxial(basically optical) in port on his PC, he can't connect his TV to it with that.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

If he doesn't have a coaxial(basically optical) in port on his PC, he can't connect his TV to it with that.

coaxial and optical are not the same.

coaxial and optical are not the same.

Never paid much attention.

I though they just had very small differences (same connector though)....

meh

Anyway OP, if you have a headphone jack on your TV, connect that to your microphone port on your PC, set it to listen and boom.  That is what I do for my TV.

Never paid much attention.

I though they just had very small differences (same connector though)....

meh

Typical coaxial connectors:

coaxwfconnector-1.jpg

BNC_connector.jpg

digital_coax_rca_audio.jpg

They can also be used for digital connections.

Typical optical connectors:

TOSLINK.jpg

toslink-mini-toslink.jpg

Do you spot the difference?! They are not the same! Stop talking nonsense please.

Do you spot the difference?! They are not the same! Stop talking nonsense please.

I never asserted it as fact.  I said I never paid much attention and I thought they where the same.

It's not really a big deal man, relax. I would say 99% of people on this forum know the difference.

It's not really a big deal man, relax. I would say 99% of people on this forum know the difference.

I am totally relaxed. However, I really doubt it is 99%.

It is like asking, what happens when you take a pen or a small rock with you on the moon, then drop it. Then afterwards ask why the astronauts were walking on the moon and not floating. More than 66% of people do not know this, and I bet you that a lot of people do not know the answer to this on this forum. Neither do they know the answer to what connector does what and what kind of signal they carry.

Woah OP, your TV has an optical output? Since when was that a thing?

Not sure if you are joking or not but almost all of them do. My samsung has one, and the vizio before that. I think my mom and pops TV even has one and it's like 8 years old?

Not sure if you are joking or not but almost all of them do. My samsung has one, and the vizio before that. I think my mom and pops TV even has one and it's like 8 years old?

I know most TVs have optical inputs, but I've never seen/heard of an optical output. 

I know most TVs have optical inputs, but I've never seen/heard of an optical output. 

It's the other way around, I don't think I've ever seen a TV with optical in, I think the OP might have it backwards.

Woah OP, your TV has an optical output? Since when was that a thing?

My Samsung TV does :D

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

It's the other way around, I don't think I've ever seen a TV with optical in, I think the OP might have it backwards.

I never see optical-in on my samsung series 9000. But they do provide optical to mini hdmi. Using them now. ;)

EDIT : Nevermind, It doesn't have have coaxial. It has optical-in.