Scratches on the back of my motherboard

Jaga848
Go to solution Solved by pyrojoe34,

If it works you're probably fine. I had a board "die" because two traces were broken by a gouge. I had to painstakingly re-solder the traces back together with a piece of wire and it works fine again.

I've had boards with scratches be completely unaffected and one that had to be fixed. If it works then don't worry about it.

Okay, so, here's the thing. While I was putting my motherboard into my case and onto my MOBO standoffs, they wouldn't quite line up, so I had to push the mobo to the left so the holes would line up. I made my entire system and everything's running ok, however, I noticed scratches near one of my MOBO standoffs, because it's the only one visible when I open the side panel, I'm not sure if there are any scratches near the other ones too, but probably. Is this a concernig matter? Take a look:

2gtu9ox.jpg

Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Intel i5 7400 3.00 GHz

Zotac Gtx 1050 ti 4 gb OC

8 gb Kingston Fury HyperX DDR4

1 TB Western Digital Purple HDD

if everything works fine and temps are good at full load, i think it doesnt really matter

Best thing to do would be to take it out an check for broken trace's. 

I would just turn it on and see what happens, but im lazy. I cant recommend not taking it out and checking first though. A broken trace can be soldered, but if left broken, can kill other things.

Skip the removal at your own  risk.

29 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

Best thing to do would be to take it out an check for broken trace's. 

I would just turn it on and see what happens, but im lazy. I cant recommend not taking it out and checking first though. A broken trace can be soldered, but if left broken, can kill other things.

Skip the removal at your own  risk.

That's the thing, I've been using the PC for a couple of days now, and it all seems fine for now. :/

Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Intel i5 7400 3.00 GHz

I really doubt you damaged anything. Motherboard manufacturers know people are going to do this, and usually leave a area around the screw hole.

5 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

I really doubt you damaged anything. Motherboard manufacturers know people are going to do this, and usually leave a area around the screw hole.

Understood, however, it isn't the area around the screw hole that concerns me, but the scratch to the right, as you can see in the pic. God, I really wanna know how I managed to scratch it that far...

Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Intel i5 7400 3.00 GHz

If it works you're probably fine. I had a board "die" because two traces were broken by a gouge. I had to painstakingly re-solder the traces back together with a piece of wire and it works fine again.

I've had boards with scratches be completely unaffected and one that had to be fixed. If it works then don't worry about it.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 hour ago, pyrojoe34 said:

What do you mean by die? What symptom did it show in PC performance? Non bootable PC? High temps?

Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Intel i5 7400 3.00 GHz

22 minutes ago, Jaga848 said:

What do you mean by die? What symptom did it show in PC performance? Non bootable PC? High temps?

No POST. Chances are if the board POSTs fine then the scratches are not an issue. For the most part a mobo (or specific components on it) either work or they don't, in most cases there's no "performance loss", it just doesn't work at all.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Just now, pyrojoe34 said:

No POST. Chances are if the board POSTs fine then the scratches are not an issue. For the most part a mobo (or specific components on it) either work they don't, in most cases there's no "performance loss", it just doesn't work at all.

Well, when I press the power button, all I hear is 1 beep, and then it boots. One last question, I know I'm being paranoid, but I need to ask. Could the scratch(es) be a danger in ANY WAY reagrding electricity, as in, if I leave my PC plugged in the outlet all the time without shutting off my PSU, could there be any danger with something like a fire happening, caused by the scratch? (side note - my motherboard supplies power to my usb slots even when the PC is off)

Ps. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Intel i5 7400 3.00 GHz

5 minutes ago, Jaga848 said:

Well, when I press the power button, all I hear is 1 beep, and then it boots. One last question, I know I'm being paranoid, but I need to ask. Could the scratch(es) be a danger in ANY WAY reagrding electricity, as in, if I leave my PC plugged in the outlet all the time without shutting off my PSU, could there be any danger with something like a fire happening, caused by the scratch? (side note - my motherboard supplies power to my usb slots even when the PC is off)

Ps. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Very unlikely, unless you have exposed wires or loose screws or something near the exposed traces which can cause a short (even with a sort the most likely thing to happen is the system just shuts down). The highest voltage on the board is 12V so there's not a really any big risk of a short jumping a gap. If you have any exposed traces just cover them with a bit of epoxy or electrical tape and there's no more risk of a sort.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

For piece of mind you can use liquid electrical tape on the scratch. It can black out any wires plugged into a mobo too :)