Tasla Lifts software Battery Capacity Cap in times of crisis

Okay, So Tesla has confirmed that all of thier cars are battery capped via software, Owers with all types of Tesla's are now able to use the full extent of the bettery during the Hurricane Irma in florida.

I think that this is such a good thing that Tesla is willing to temporarily can thier selling price points for people in evacuation areas.

What do you guys think of Tesla doing this?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/10/tesla-extends-range-on-cars-in-hurricane-irma-path/

Tesla may have software-limited the battery capacities of some cars to upsell owners to pricier trim levels, but it's now clear that the company is willing to lift that limit during a crisis. The EV maker has confirmed to Electrek that it temporarily unlocked the full battery capacity on 60kWh Model S and Model X cars in Florida to give them the full 75kWh and help them escape Hurricane Irma.

Pretty sure that the extra 15kWh is not for "pricier trim levels" it is for reducing battery wear by increasing the minimum charge level.

If you don't fully discharge lithium batteries you can increase their lifespan of charge cycles.

It would also be a complete waste of money to build cars with 75kWh packs and then limit them through software.

Lithium batteries are not cheap and expendable.

EDIT- i was wrong :(

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ah yes, tasla, the best car company out there

Spoiler

Sorry couldn't resist

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Pretty sure that the extra 15kWh is not for "pricier trim levels" it is for reducing battery wear by increasing the minimum charge level.

If you don't fully discharge lithium batteries you can increase their lifespan of charge cycles.

It would also be a complete waste of money to build cars with 75kWh packs and then limit them through software.

I kinda have to agree with this.  Also, batteries are EXPENSIVE to produce, particularly large ones.  Building a 75kWh battery and selling it as a 60kWh battery with a software would be a lot more expensive than manufacturing two different classes of batteries, one being cheaper and lighter to ship from battery factories to vehicle assembly plants.  It'd just make terrible sense from a business perspective.

How long until people complain about Tesla locking down their batteries?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

21 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

i dont think people will, this car is a disconinued version, and they did pay a lower price for it, so it makes sence, but then again, people do jump to conclusions

22 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It's just business and it's normal to make smaller profit margin on the lower end stuffs compared to the higher end ones. 

People should commend Tesla for doing this, they don't have to do it but they do it anyway to help people

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

The battery is software locked on the newer cars, the 75kWh and the 60kWh version of the car use the same battery packs.  You can pay Tesla and they will unlock it with an over the air update.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2016-tesla-model-s/

16 minutes ago, Kano said:

The battery is software locked on the newer cars, the 75kWh and the 60kWh version of the car use the same battery packs.  You can pay Tesla and they will unlock it with an over the air update.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2016-tesla-model-s/

Huh I was wrong, ok then.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Actually, it is as I understood it, yes, they are dicks :P 

But of course, it begin a software lock, it must  be hacked if any faith in humanity is to remain. I mean, fuck cracking games, this is serious!

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I kinda have to agree with this.  Also, batteries are EXPENSIVE to produce, particularly large ones.  Building a 75kWh battery and selling it as a 60kWh battery with a software would be a lot more expensive than manufacturing two different classes of batteries, one being cheaper and lighter to ship from battery factories to vehicle assembly plants.  It'd just make terrible sense from a business perspective.

According to the source of the source, yes, it is the same battery fully capable of 75kWh, the point being that you can pay Tesla to software-enable the full capacity at a later point in time.

So yes, it seems this is indeed like selling you an 4-core CPU locked to dual by software, then enabling the two extra cores remotely if you pay extra.

Title contains a typo.

Also, capping battery capacity via Software is exactly why I will never buy a Tesla.

I'm not cool with that. Offer me a real 70Whr battery and not some throttled software controlled 100Whr . :(

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, Enderman said:

Pretty sure the "60Whr" models they used to sell were just 100Whr units with Software control just how the 70Whr units were able to be upgraded to 75/85Whr later.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

But of course, it begin a software lock, it must  be hacked if any faith in humanity is to remain. I mean, fuck cracking games, this is serious!

What happens if somebody is able to hack software using an exploit and then tell the software to overvolt the batteries and blow them up?

I don't think you really want the battery software to be hacked :P.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

What happens if somebody is able to hack their software using an exploit and then tell the software to overvolt the batteries and blow them up?

I don't think you really want the battery software to be hacked :P.

I am a firm believer in full ownership over hardware. You can choose to sell me a particular battery, or not sell me that battery, but you can't control how I use it later.

Also, I do not believe in security through ignorance - or rather a sense of security based on te hope that everyone else remains as ignorant as myself.

Adding both things together, yes, I do want people to have control over the software their cars run (just like those folks getting sued for modding their tractors' software).

14 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I am a firm believer in full ownership over hardware. You can choose to sell me a particular battery, or not sell me that battery, but you can't control how I use it later.

I'm fine with it if it's more a case of quality control and they are unlocking cells that did not outright fail but the unit itself did not pass the full 75kWh testing so became a lesser standardized value i.e 60kWh.

I know this is a pure up-selling decision and not the above but that is just the example of where I would be fine with software capping the battery to a lower amount. Say 8kWh worth of cells are defective, makes perfect sense to lock it to 60kWh since every battery might be different so there does need to the a common figure.

Edit:

Not that the above should happen since all cells are tested before packaging in to a battery pack.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I'm fine with it if it's more a case of quality control and they are unlocking cells that did not outright fail but the unit itself did not pass the full 75kWh testing so became a lesser standardized value i.e 60kWh.

I know this is a pure up-selling decision and not the above but that is just the example of where I would be fine with software capping the battery to a lower amount. Say 8kWh worth of cells are defective, makes perfect sense to lock it to 60kWh since every battery might be different so there does need to the a common figure.  

Yes, i would equate that with burning out cores that turned out below spec in a CPU die to sell lower core-count versions (or not even completely killing them, as in the days of "unlock cores!" motehrbaords :P). Something where they can't guarantee safety or even performance.

This... is the same product with a software switch. Still, even the alternative example, I'm still for the right of users to modify things at their own risk (which means also not at the risk of others, i.e., you can't blow up your car in the street because "it's my right to manioulate it!" :P).

12 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yes, i would equate that with burning out cores that turned out below spec in a CPU die to sell lower core-count versions (or not even completely killing them, as in the days of "unlock cores!" motehrbaords :P). Something where they can't guarantee safety or even performance.

This... is the same product with a software switch. Still, even the alternative example, I'm still for the right of users to modify things at their own risk (which means also not at the risk of others, i.e., you can't blow up your car in the street because "it's my right to manioulate it!" :P).

18 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Edit:

Not that the above should happen since all cells are tested before packaging in to a battery pack.

Apparently according to the article OP linked, they no longer sell software locked battery capacities.

But anybody who bought a 60Whr or 70Whr Tesla Model S from 2012-2017 has a software locked battery. Same for the initial 60Whr Model X.

5 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

According to the source of the source, yes, it is the same battery fully capable of 75kWh, the point being that you can pay Tesla to software-enable the full capacity at a later point in time.

So yes, it seems this is indeed like selling you an 4-core CPU locked to dual by software, then enabling the two extra cores remotely if you pay extra.

Ya got me there. o.O

Tasla

hqdefault.jpg

So is there any reason why they are artificially capping battery capacity you paid for? Is it just over-provisioning like on SSD's? 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

9 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Ahh Intel sold one of these once I believe it was a single core to dual however, interesting to say the least. But wasn't worth it for consumers because they had to pay 50 bucks to unlock it and if you waited a while you could get better chip for that...

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Tasla?

Is that the chinese knockoff version of the Tesla?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I wonder if they artificially cap the battery capacity for reasons like efficiency and life span

Well, a battery does lose overall capacity faster if it's nearly full or empty, even when you're not using the device.  40-60% tends to be ideal (which is why most laptops and phones come out of the box with half a charge). 

Some laptops also have an option in the BIOS to stop charging once a battery hits a certain percentage (my Samsung NP900-X4D allows me to cap it at 80%) for just that reason.  I've had this laptop for 4.5 years and according to Mint's Power Statistics the original battery still has 89.3% of its original capacity left, so I think it's working out okay.  Certainly would have been worse if I were to keep it plugged in and at 100% all the time.