EK XRES Revo D5 pump does not start

Go to solution Solved by achow101,

Update: I got the original molex cable for my power supply and that has fixed the problem. The pump runs now.

I am building a water cooling loop and I have an EK XRES revo d5 pump and reservoir combo. I am trying to fill the loop and do leak testing, but the pump won't run. I unplugged everything from my power supply and plugged in the pump to the molex. Then I jumped the PSU. The PSU turns on as I can feel the fan in the back, but the pump is not working. No water is flowing. Any help would be appreciated.

I've heard that if it's a pwm pump, it also needs to be connected to the mobo fan header or it won't run. 

Do you have one of the PWM to SATA adapters to force the fan to run at 100%?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Do you have one of the PWM to SATA adapters to force the fan to run at 100%?

No. But on the product page it says "Default behavior: Runs at 100% duty cycle when no PWM feedback signal is present" so I don't think that is the problem. Or does that mean the other pins need power but the PWM pin doesn't?

2 minutes ago, achow101 said:

No. But on the product page it says "Default behavior: Runs at 100% duty cycle when no PWM feedback signal is present" so I don't think that is the problem.

PWM signal is the fourth pin on the header, the other 3 pins (DC) still need power with that sata adapter to run at that 100% just like a fan.

8 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

PWM signal is the fourth pin on the header, the other 3 pins (DC) still need power with that sata adapter to run at that 100% just like a fan.

The connector only has two wires connected, the PWM pin and the RPM sensor pin. The other two (the power ones) don't have any connection. The pump is powered by the molex connector which I do have plugged in.

Contact EK directly if you want to be sure. I believe I've heard Jayztwocents mention in a video that pwm pumps won't run without plugging in both cables. 

4 pin molex is for power. The fan header is just for PWM control. Make sure molex connector is in properly. Those pins can slip. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I guess i was wrong, should be running at 10% without pwm. You might have a defective pump.

On 5-11-2015 at 5:23 PM, EK Luc said:

Like the W-L said, it will work with only the molex plugged but it will run at 10% PWM like the graph shows you.

ek-d5-pwm-response_800.jpg

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, achow101 said:

The connector only has two wires connected, the PWM pin and the RPM sensor pin. The other two (the power ones) don't have any connection. The pump is powered by the molex connector which I do have plugged in.

Do you happen to have the sleeved variant? either way, can you just confirm which colors red/black are in the edge and central position. I recently saw a case where the wiring was not correct on the pump.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Do you happen to have the sleeved variant? either way, can you just confirm which colors red/black are in the edge and central position. I recently saw a case where the wiring was not correct on the pump.

The red wire is on the edge and the black one is in the center right next to the red.

4 minutes ago, achow101 said:

The red wire is on the edge and the black one is in the center right next to the red.

Sounds good, some photos of the loop, PSU's connection to the pump and the jumper configuration may help us help you more.

23 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

I guess i was wrong, should be running at 10% without pwm. You might have a defective pump.

Reveal hidden contents

At 10% it might not spin at all, or any noticeable amount.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

23 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

Reveal hidden contents

This is old information, the new EKWB pumps are meant to run at 100 % without PWM signal, so OP is fine with only molex power. Some has argued that in reality it is 60%, but this is probably not true either. Nonetheless, whether it is 60% or 100%, filling a loop should be no problem.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

At 10% it might not spin at all, or any noticeable amount.

Currently re-living a dejavu no? :P

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Currently re-living a dejavu no? :P

Haha, yah, I was looking for that :P

Hopefully it's an older pump or something and not dead :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Hopefully it's an older pump or something and not dead :) 

Yeah, I feel that 95 % of DOAs are just user error, but we'll see when photos come through....

4 minutes ago, achow101 said:

Here are some photos of the system.

You seem to be using some kind of custom cable for the perif->molex, do you not have the original that came with the PSU? it should be flat cables like the rest rather than sleeved.

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

You seem to be using some kind of custom cable for the perif->molex, do you not have the original that came with the PSU? it should be flat cables like the rest rather than sleeved.

I don't have the original. The PSU is an EVGA PSU and I took the cable from a different EVGA PSU that I had yesterday while building someone else's computer (I don't have that computer anymore).

Just now, achow101 said:

I don't have the original. The PSU is an EVGA PSU and I took the cable from a different EVGA PSU that I had yesterday while building someone else's computer (I don't have that computer anymore).

Do you remember the PSU type? it is possible that the pinout is different.

Just now, achow101 said:

I'll have a look, but by far the easiest way to get it working is likely to get the proper cable for this PSU.

5 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I'll have a look, but by far the easiest way to get it working is likely to get the proper cable for this PSU.

I'll try to get one, but I don't have the original cable anywhere near me.

12 minutes ago, achow101 said:

I'll try to get one, but I don't have the original cable anywhere near me.

Just as a sanity check, can you try to plug into SATA1 instead, the pinouts of those are usually the same.