Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Decided on a build (3k USD) Anything i should add/change?

Dexxer

So this is what i want to get for my 2017 pc.  https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dexxer/saved/qHKKHx

Anything i should add on it to make it look good ? Dont want the pc to look like a xmas tree but there is nice subtle things you can do with rgb :P

So any fan changes i should do or any other changes ?

Maybe an additional 2TB or 4TB HDD or for mass storage if you don't have something already.

Otherwise, pretty solid :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You don't need 850W for a i7-7700K and a GTX 1080Ti unless you plan to SLI (and even then, that's still more than you need). 550W is good enough.

Wait for Coffee Lake.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

You don't need 850W for a i7-7700K and a GTX 1080Ti unless you plan to SLI (and even then, that's still more than enough). 550W is enough.

Wait for Coffee Lake.

I disagree on the PSU, pushing it close to the limit ignores the efficiency curve and overclocking headroom + expandability going forward.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I disagree on the PSU, pushing it close to the limit ignores the efficiency curve and overclocking headroom + expandability going forward.

11 minutes ago, Dexxer said:

So this is what i want to get for my 2017 pc.  https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dexxer/saved/qHKKHx

Anything i should add on it to make it look good ? Dont want the pc to look like a xmas tree but there is nice subtle things you can do with rgb :P

my FX9370 (220w) @ 5ghz and 1.536vcore with a overclocked GTX 1070 @+100mhz GPU and +100mem and all sliders to max, barely break 450 watts at the wall on a EVGA SuperNova 850 G. The fan is barely turning. Your 850 is fine, slight overkill. 

10 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

You don't need 850W for a i7-7700K and a GTX 1080Ti unless you plan to SLI (and even then, that's still more than you need). 550W is good enough.

Wait for Coffee Lake.

Well even tho Coffee Lake is announced on the 5th Oktober it will still take some time before its in the stores. And i dont really have time to wait 2 months for parts :P If its amazing i can always change MB/CPU next year when Coffee Lake x comes :)

34 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You can heavily overclock the i7-7700K and GTX 1080Ti and it still wouldn't get close to 550W. You still have a good amount of headroom with a 550W unit. As for expandability, that only really becomes an issue with adding another card for a Crossfire/SLI configuration... which I doubt OP is doing anytime soon.

With a higher wattage PSU, you lose efficiency at lower loads and they're often louder in comparison to lower wattage variants. Not much point in going overkill.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

18 minutes ago, Dexxer said:

Well even tho Coffee Lake is announced on the 5th Oktober it will still take some time before its in the stores. And i dont really have time to wait 2 months for parts :P If its amazing i can always change MB/CPU next year when Coffee Lake x comes :)

It probably will be a paper launch but buying Kaby Lake now is a bad idea anyway, given how close Coffee Lake is.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

It probably will be a paper launch but buying Kaby Lake now is a bad idea anyway, given how close Coffee Lake is.

Sure but as it stands today i am i without a working pc. And i really dont feel like no gaming for 2 months.

Dam i would have to start talking to the wife or go outside then.

11 minutes ago, Dexxer said:

Sure but as it stands today i am i without a working pc. And i really dont feel like no gaming for 2 months.

Dam i would have to start talking to the wife or go outside then.

Sure, you can build now and have it all set up. The i7-7700K is still the best gaming CPU on the market.

All I'm saying is that given the timing of the situation, you're better off having a bit of patience and should wait for Coffee Lake which is just around the corner. I also think it's more going to be a month wait, rather than two months.

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Wait for Coffee Lake.

Nobody likes the word future proof, but I like future proofing my psu. Crazy expensive, just once. Then it lasts for almost any build you'll do for a long time. To me, a psu is not something you should be buying each time you build a new pc

Shipping sucks

5 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

Nobody likes the word future proof, but I like future proofing my psu. Crazy expensive, just once. Then it lasts for almost any build you'll do for a long time. To me, a psu is not something you should be buying each time you build a new pc

Wattage isn't everything... high wattage units don't necessarily mean that you're being "future-proof".

If you want a "future-proof" unit that'll last for ages, then buy a high quality unit.

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Wattage isn't everything... high wattage units don't necessarily mean that you're being "future-proof".

If you want a "future-proof" unit that'll last for ages, then buy a high quality unit.

That's what I was trying to say. I don't know where I said or implied wattage, I wasn't answering in the context of the question but as a comment to what you said

Shipping sucks

3 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

That's what I was trying to say. I don't know where I said or implied wattage, I wasn't answering in the context of the question but as a comment to what you said

Oh... well, I thought you were saying that as to justify why one should get a 850W unit over a 550W unit.

My bad.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HKZeroFive said:

Oh... well, I thought you were saying that as to justify why one should get a 850W unit over a 550W unit.

My bad.

Lets not turn this into a fight over how big a power supply i need please.  When asking for help i thinking more of " Should i replace any of the stock fans", or  "Hey did you consider this MB".  The difference on price over a 550 and 850 PSU is not gonna brake the bank on this build :P

18 minutes ago, Dexxer said:

Lets not turn this into a fight over how big a power supply i need please.  When asking for help i thinking more of " Should i replace any of the stock fans", or  "Hey did you consider this MB".  The difference on price over a 550 and 850 PSU is not gonna brake the bank on this build :P

Well, that's how you know there's little to complain about. We're always going to find something to argue about. So might as well be something minor. 

Anyway. You can save quite a few bucks if you went with a nice SATA drive, rather than the 960 Evo. You won't see any difference in real world use. Unless you transfer lots of files. 

I'd say the PSU is overkill. Even if you plan on getting another 980 Ti to run in SLI, 750W Is enough. Even when overclocked. There are also other really good 750-850W PSUs for less than $130. 

If you don't plan on adding another GPU to run in SLI, you could get a 550-650W PSU. 

:)

3 hours ago, Dexxer said:

But can it run Crysis?

Kidding. Build looks good. I agree with the more storage idea. Beyond that, there's literally nothing this build can't do. Except maybe server applications, but this isn't a server build. 

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

Just now, TraskJ said:

But can it run Crysis?

Kidding. Build looks good. I agree with the more storage idea. Beyond that, there's literally nothing this build can't do. Except maybe server applications, but this isn't a server build. 

I got a file server running so only things i need to store on the pc is whatever i run on a daily basis.

Just now, Dexxer said:

I got a file server running so only things i need to store on the pc is whatever i run on a daily basis.

Cool stuff. I'm looking forward to a build log! 

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

I think that 1TB M.2 SSD isn't really necessary as well as an 800 dollar monitor, so you could save money on that and use it for something else. As for RGB, since you are using the NZXT Kraken, replace the Aer P's on the radiators with Aer RGB's and use Aer RGB's for case fans as well and connect them to the Hue+

14 hours ago, Kenny477 said:

I think that 1TB M.2 SSD isn't really necessary as well as an 800 dollar monitor, so you could save money on that and use it for something else. As for RGB, since you are using the NZXT Kraken, replace the Aer P's on the radiators with Aer RGB's and use Aer RGB's for case fans as well and connect them to the Hue+

Well a good monitor isn't always cheap :P 

Feel free to recommend a cheaper 144 hz or more with G sync monitor tho.

3 hours ago, Dexxer said:

Well a good monitor isn't always cheap :P 

Feel free to recommend a cheaper 144 hz or more with G sync monitor tho.

You spent almost 1/3 of your budget on a monitor, you could SLI the 1080 for 800 bucks xD 

Suggestions:

You could go with the 144Hz version of the ROG Swift for 150 bucks cheaper.
Or go with Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor which is 500 bucks.