SSD Samsung 960 EVO performing way below expectations on UserBenchmark

eera5607

Hello everyone! I have one question about some results that I got on a website called userbenchmark.com. According to the results everything but the SSD is performing as expected. I get a warning on the SSD (Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB) section that says: Performing way below expectations (15th percentile). The SSD is connected to the PCIe M.2 header on a Asus MAXIMUS IX CODE. The CPU is an Intel i7 7700k and RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB. These are the full results in case are needed (http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4955842).  I checked and there are no programs or apps writing o reading anything at the moment of starting the benchmark process. What can it be? What can I do to correct this? Thank you very much for your help.

Try using something like crystal disk mark instead as it's way easier to see stuff.

It could just be because your drive is 80% full, really.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Does it have lots of airflow?

maybe it's thermal throttling (a real problem with M.2 SSDs)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Ideas:

1) It's not plugged into a 6Gb/s sata slot (I did this for years without noticing!) 

2) Thermal throttling.. very unlikely over a sustained period

3) The drive is nearly full. SSDs do not like being full. They slow a LOT as they approach max capacity. Clear your drive as much as possible. 

4) Try Samsung Magician to check on the health of the drive.. it might just be a bad drive/dying. 

Just now, Zebedeeboing said:

I did comment on that right below my original post, tired eyes. My bad.

Oh i see

My life

On 9/9/2017 at 4:46 PM, DocSwag said:

Try using something like crystal disk mark instead as it's way easier to see stuff.

It could just be because your drive is 80% full, really.

Thank you! I did two more benchmarks including Crystal Disk Mark these are the results: 

Capture2.PNG.6b590b84c0783532ecd4e73b338a79c1.PNG

And these are the results for AS SSD Benchmark:

Capture.PNG.9b2f55a8578e890e74c8b0dd3ea2c8e1.PNG

Maybe, there is a misunderstanding, the drive is partitioned and the original benchmark only showed the allocated space for Windows 10. The drive is 20% full at most. 

On 9/9/2017 at 4:49 PM, RadiatingLight said:

Does it have lots of airflow?

maybe it's thermal throttling (a real problem with M.2 SSDs)

What can I do to check the temperatures on this drive? I tried with Speccy and it didn't detect any sensors for SSD temperatures. The SSD is inside a cover on the mobo just below the GPU card. I think it do not receive a lot of airflow. Check this picture:

59b47c0188b48_maximus-ix-formula-8b-1600x105001.jpg.c1607c7d61c96033a4ed213aa59bd31c.jpg

On 9/9/2017 at 4:52 PM, Zebedeeboing said:

Ideas:

1) It's not plugged into a 6Gb/s sata slot (I did this for years without noticing!) 

2) Thermal throttling.. very unlikely over a sustained period

3) The drive is nearly full. SSDs do not like being full. They slow a LOT as they approach max capacity. Clear your drive as much as possible. 

4) Try Samsung Magician to check on the health of the drive.. it might just be a bad drive/dying. 

2) Any idea on how to check the temperature? 

3) As I clarify before the drive is 20% full. It is just partitioned. 

4) These are the results for Samsung Magician. 

Capture3.PNG.ee41a006c74b3e0c05a88bec3243d6f4.PNG

Thank you all for all the help. 

3 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

What can I do to check the temperatures on this drive? I tried with Speccy and it didn't detect any sensors for SSD temperatures. The SSD is inside a cover on the mobo just below the GPU card. I think it do not receive a lot of airflow. Check this picture:

Try taking off the cover, pointing a fan on it, and running the test again.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Thanks I will try that. First I need to take out the GPU... I'll get back to you after that. Thank you! 

32 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

Thank you! I did two more benchmarks including Crystal Disk Mark these are the results: 

-snip-

The writes seem a bit low... Have you made sure that the SLC caching is enabled in Samsung Magician (they call it something other than SLC caching but yeah)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

On 9/9/2017 at 6:18 PM, DocSwag said:

The writes seem a bit low... Have you made sure that the SLC caching is enabled in Samsung Magician (they call it something other than SLC caching but yeah)

Is RAPID (Real Time Acceleration Processing of I/O Data) Mode the same as SLC caching? Samsung Magician says that this drive does not support RAPID mode. Capture3.PNG.26eb0736d12015f152125bb657d30897.PNG

13 hours ago, eera5607 said:

Is RAPID (Real Time Acceleration Processing of I/O Data) Mode the same as SLC caching? Samsung Magician says that this drive does not support RAPID mode. Capture3.PNG.5f94f3dac2b3e212141d7cb90ce4b6ad.PNG

RAPID is DRAM caching, which is different.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

13 hours ago, eera5607 said:

Is RAPID (Real Time Acceleration Processing of I/O Data) Mode the same as SLC caching? Samsung Magician says that this drive does not support RAPID mode. Capture3.PNG.5f94f3dac2b3e212141d7cb90ce4b6ad.PNG

Actually I just figured out what the SLC caching is called, Samsung calls it turbowrite.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Actually I just figured out what the SLC caching is called, Samsung calls it turbowrite.

Thanks! I don't see that option on Samsung Magician (Turbowrite option). I think it has that technology but it is enabled by default. There is no way to turn it off or on from Samsung Magician. 

Thanks @DocSwag @RadiatingLight and @Zebedeeboing ! I discover something that help a little. I had the Windows NVM driver installed:

Capture4.PNG.1421c447609e33876d9cca8f2987235b.PNG

and not the oficial driver that you can download from Samsung's website:

Capture5.PNG.96f94a4796c07d7b5d6191e7a9c0b0ff.PNG

I keep getting a benchmark "below the expectations" but before it was "way below expectations" on UserBenchmark. 

The problem in this benchmark is definitely related to this section:

Capture6.PNG.993cef9f1f98f73bfc9c58bddbd90fcb.PNG

I still have to try taking out the GPU and taking  off the cover of the SSD to check if it is related to temperatures. The thing is that is working fine with the other two tests and bad with the last one (DQ Read, DQ Write, DQ Mixed).

Thanks!

This is what you should expect with the 500GB 960 Evo:

Untitled.jpg.56d72d8ab2df12aa450da394b2e7a041.jpg

So your CrystalMark benchmark is right where it should be.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

18 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Are you thinking of RAPID or TurboWrite?

Never mind.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Are you thinking of RAPID or TurboWrite?

TurboWrite, my SSD is NVMe and does not support RAPID.

Just now, eera5607 said:

TurboWrite, my SSD is NVMe and does not support RAPID.

I've got one as well, but I found that he already found out which one. Did the Samsung driver help your EVO?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Well it seems that it is working as expected now. Now UserBenchmark says the EVO 90 is "Performing way above expectations (91st percentile)" (Complete results: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4965874). A big difference with original benchmark: ¨Performing way below expectations (15th percentile)" .

Capture8.PNG.56c488524ccf84aaf191e3c5919857bc.PNG

This is what I did:

On 9/9/2017 at 5:48 PM, RadiatingLight said:

I discovered that Corsair Link shows the SSD temperature and tested it after placing the GPU on the PCIe x16 slot that is not blocking the air intakes of the PCIe M.2 slot where the SSD is connected to the motherboard. During the benchmarks the SSD reached 39 °C and that seems to be ok. 

Capture7.PNG.6acc8eb1905ea8ddc39f2b90b4809a25.PNG

On 9/9/2017 at 6:18 PM, DocSwag said:

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I've got one as well, but I found that he already found out which one. Did the Samsung driver help your EVO?

I also installed the oficial NVMe drivers from Samsung since it was using the Windows ¨generic¨ drivers. That in combination with changing the GPU position helped the performance on UserBechmark A LOT. Thank you all for the ideas and contribution to solve this issue.