Should I just learn Algebra 1 basics or should I learn it with more detail?

AniJan

I want to learn things like Algebra 1 ahead of time because I'm dumb.

But a question was raised in my head:

Should I just learn the basics of Algebra 1 for now or should I do the basics and go into the specifics of Algebra 1? which is the best choice?

"you choose, don't ask us."

i'm a very anxious person who needs guidance. i'm a mere child, i do not know any better.

"ask your teacher"

she only helps with things inside our unit.

@Dash Lambda

If you want to learn a topic in math, just dive in.

As for actually doing it -When I wanted to learn Calc 1 ahead of time, I asked for the ISBN for the textbook my school uses and bought it, then I just went through the book. I'd suggest trying that.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

If you want to learn a topic in math, just dive in.

As for actually doing it -When I wanted to learn Calc 1 ahead of time, I asked for the ISBN for the textbook my school uses and bought it, then I just went through the book. I'd suggest trying that.

don't do just the basics then?

can i use khan academy?

11 minutes ago, AniJan said:

don't do just the basics then?

can i use khan academy?

go ahead use khan academy

although be warned that if you go ahead your teachers may get mad or mark you down for not using their way of solving a problem

(yes, teachers at my school do this)

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

39 minutes ago, AniJan said:

Don't do just the basics then?

Can I use Khan Academy?

-Correct.

-If they're a comprehensive resource, then sure. I haven't used them before, really, but I've heard they're very good.

28 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Although be warned that if you go ahead your teachers may get mad or mark you down for not using their way of solving a problem.

(Yes, teachers at my school do this.)

I was banned from bringing my aforementioned Calc book into Precalc, apparently because I was missing 'necessary instruction', which she could tell despite the fact that my grades were fine.

To be fair, though, that can be a somewhat justified measure if the more 'advanced' methods the student is learning on their own are just shortcuts that don't require fundamental understanding.

-Correct.

-If they're a comprehensive resource, then sure. I haven't used them before, really, but I've heard they're very good.

I was banned from bringing my aforementioned Calc book into Precalc, apparently because I was missing 'necessary instruction', which she could tell despite the fact that my grades were fine.

To be fair, though, that can be a somewhat justified measure if the more 'advanced' methods the student is learning on their own are just shortcuts that don't require fundamental understanding.

Wouldn't just the basics be enough since you can learn the specifics later on in high school?

12 minutes ago, AniJan said:

Wouldn't just the basics be enough since you can learn the specifics later on in high school?

na you should in middle school. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

-Correct.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

na you should in middle school. 

Well. The problem is, or so I think, I've been using Khan Academy for 3 weeks now taking notes. Khan Academy is great and all, but they don't cover some specifics in Algebra I. If I were to look at my College Algebra book to find some missing specifics, it'd be too much of a hassle and it'll mess up my organization of notes.

2 hours ago, AniJan said:

I want to learn things like Algebra 1 ahead of time because I'm dumb.

But a question was raised in my head:

Should I just learn the basics of Algebra 1 for now or should I do the basics and go into the specifics of Algebra 1? which is the best choice?

"you choose, don't ask us."

i'm a very anxious person who needs guidance. i'm a mere child, i do not know any better.

"ask your teacher"

she only helps with things inside our unit.

@Dash Lambda

Go for it. KhanAcademy has some great stuff. I've been using it over the summer to re-learn Algebra II and Geometry, as well as some Trigonometry.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

36 minutes ago, AniJan said:

-snip-

It's all a question of if you want to learn or not.

Missing parts is why I recommend using a textbook, even if just as supplement. You could, say, go through the practice problems and look through the chapter when you don't know how to solve one, in order to fill Khan Academy's gaps.

I don't know how to help you with your notes -The few notes I do take are about as organized as a shopping bag full of unbound cables.

I'm a freshman in High School doing Algebra 1 and can tell you this, you do NOT want to take this course in 9th grade. See if your school offers an accelerated math class for you to take Algebra 1 in 8th grade. Then do Geometry over the summer and do Algebra 2 freshman year. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Just now, arnavvr said:

I'm a freshman in High School doing Algebra 1 and can tell you this, you do NOT want to take this course in 9th grade. See if your school offers an accelerated math class for you to take Algebra 1 in 8th grade. Then do Geometry over the summer and do Algebra 2 freshman year. 

er why? is it bad? too easy? waste of time?

3 minutes ago, AniJan said:

er why? 

Because you wouldn't be able to take Calculus by 12th grade. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Just now, arnavvr said:

WUT.

idk what you mean by basics... I feel like we could get that out of the way right here and now :P 

like, x + 5 = 14

subtract 5 from both sides

x = 9

2x = 7

divide both sides by 2

x = 3.5

just, do the same thing to both sides until you get your variable = something

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

idk what you mean by basics... I feel like we could get that out of the way right here and now :P 

like, x + 5 = 14

subtract 5 from both sides

x = 9

2x = 7

divide both sides by 2

x = 3.5

just, do the same thing to both sides until you get your variable = something

i meant basic stuff of ALL of algebra 1.

1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

9th: Algebra 1

10th: Algebra 2

11th: Precalculus

12th: Calculus

Is there something I'm missing?

33 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

10th: Algebra 2

11th: Precalculus

12th: Calculus

Is there something I'm missing?

9th:Algebra 1

10th:Geometry 

11th:Algebra 2

12th:Pre-Calculus

Just make sure you're not looking into Linear Algebra. That's university stuff and it's hell. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

29 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just make sure you're not looking into Linear Algebra. That's university stuff and it's hell. 

You serious?

I am a total math noob now but I might consider picking it in 2 years as a minor subject. I would only have to pass two exams and I think it would help me in my Master. But I just started with my Bachelor

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

You serious?

I am a total math noob now but I might consider picking it in 2 years as a minor subject. I would only have to pass two exams and I think it would help me in my Master. But I just started with my Bachelor

There's a lot of vector math and matrices. It's a pretty big departure from your usual calculus. Same goes for discrete mathematics. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

40 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

10th: Geometry 

11th: Algebra 2

12th: Pre-Calculus

38 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Geometry.

I've never taken a geometry class. Isn't that effectively covered in Algebra?

OK. So:

Should I go back and learn the specifics from the start to the current point?

or

Finish all of the algebra basics and learn the specifics after.

Here they do Algebra 1 in 9th, Algebra 2 in 10th (Academic - Im in Canada) and then Precalc and then calc. You dont really get to choose your classes before grade 11, just the course which is Academic math

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, AniJan said:

OK. So:

Should I go back and learn the specifics from the start to the current point?

or

Finish all of the algebra basics and learn the specifics after.

Just start with the basics, then expand. I did what Dash suggested and learned the basics on Khan Academy then used my moms calc book for more info

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0